#3 portage vs #8 Chesterton Thursday

ontherise219

Region Royalty, If the family has been trying to move to Portage for the past 18 months, why didn't they just take advantage of "open enrollment" and drive them to Portage at the beginning of the 2015-2016 school year?  I have zero personal interest in this case but when you move from one powerhouse program that just had their coach retire to another powerhouse, it's going to raise some eyebrows.

simply, Jonathan is a senior.  That would not have fixed the issue.  They have moved their entire family to Portage.  

Definitely a crying shame if they are not eligible (shame on CP). My son wrestled on a National Team with one of the Morans not sure which one (are they twins?). These boys are National caliber wrestlers that have wrestled across the country but the State of Indiana is trying not to let them wrestle?? I know a G O O D attorney and may have to try and get in touch with the family.

If the Region is not showing the family any love, I also know a great Private school in the Indy area that will welcome them with open arms..............

They are not twins.  They are a Senior (Jonathan) and a Sophomore (Jacob).  You could never ask for a better place for them to land.  Never seen these two kids happier, even while going through this with the state.  The Portage community has accepted them and it is quite obvious that the Crown Point community has sour grapes about them going to Portage.

I think moving a family to a  school districts is an exemption.  If that's the case IHSAA shouldn't contest it.   Did the family move?   

IHSAA Rule 11-b-  You are Eligible: You are transferring from a school district or territory with a bona fide move by your parents.

I believe that the state is using a newer rule against them wrestling.  We shall see though I guess.

Region Royalty, If the family has been trying to move to Portage for the past 18 months, why didn't they just take advantage of "open enrollment" and drive them to Portage at the beginning of the 2015-2016 school year?  I have zero personal interest in this case but when you move from one powerhouse program that just had their coach retire to another powerhouse, it's going to raise some eyebrows.

Please don't confuse "regionality" with Region Royalty.

Region Royalty has no interest or comment on this matter.

well I knew a kid that moved from Michigan city to new prairie for his senior year and he was only a regional qualifier and the state made him sit out , he was allowed to do jv only, so I wouldn't b surprised if ihsaa makes them sit, and yes cp has sour grapes against portage cause last year portage sent there jv to wrestle them for there varsity dual cause portage I think went to that national tourney in Detroit. cp has refused to send there jv kids to wrestle in the jv dac tourney the last 2 years now cause of that. so yes sounds like sour grapes, and I don't know the morans at all but I truly hope for the best for them cause after all this sport is about the kids ... so hopefully everything works out or older one is screwed for his senior year

I think the cp/portage dual should be a good thread next. I'm still excited for this dual Thursday. I also like that the other DAC teams can come out and watch hopefully there is a nice crowd.

This will be an awesome dual. What is the expected turnout for this dust up?

I'm not sure it will be a Wildcat crowd. But hopefully there will be a nice turn out.

We had a kid transfer over Christmas to a rival school. He was a returning semi state qualifier. He commuted the 25 miles daily to the new school. He was allowed to wrestle immediately for the new school.

I hope the Moran brothers don't get caught up in any drama and are allowed to compete. They're only high school kids....

We had a kid transfer over Christmas to a rival school. He was a returning semi state qualifier. He commuted the 25 miles daily to the new school. He was allowed to wrestle immediately for the new school.

I hope the Moran brothers don't get caught up in any drama and are allowed to compete. They're only high school kids....

There are other kids in this same situation that the IHSAA has said that are ineligible for this season . So hopefully if they let some wrestle they will let all of them wrestle but I think it will be just the opposite.. This discussion is really about the situation not the kids.. I think the Morans are good kids and good wrestlers. So that is what i meant about that this would cause a ripple effect.. The IHSAA should be consistent whatever the ruling is to all of the athletes in all sports .. so we will see .. Goid luck to all..

There are other kids in this same situation that the IHSAA has said that are ineligible for this season . So hopefully if they let some wrestle they will let all of them wrestle but I think it will be just the opposite.. This discussion is really about the situation not the kids.. I think the Morans are good kids and good wrestlers. So that is what i meant about that this would cause a ripple effect.. The IHSAA should be consistent whatever the ruling is to all of the athletes in all sports .. so we will see .. Goid luck to all..

CP is obviously not releasing their eligibility.      But if they made a "Bona Fide Move",  I still don't see how they could challenge it.   Just quoting the Indiana Star, "In 2013-2014 season, only 18 of 4,254 of transfers were declared ineligible, or .42%".   With open enrollment, athletic transfers are pretty common these days, and that's the same nationally.  The IHSAA has been very lax on enforcing this rule.     Is the IHSAA and Bobby Cox trying to make a stand this year?   Not that wrestling is high profile,  but are they using the Moran's as an example?? I wonder.   I think some school administrators aren't happy with Athletic transfers.  Its not that the admins care much about their wrestling team or whatever sport,  it means when a kid transfers the school they lose out on that state funding check. 

CP is obviously not releasing their eligibility.      But if they made a "Bona Fide Move",  I still don't see how they could challenge it.   Just quoting the Indiana Star, "In 2013-2014 season, only 18 of 4,254 of transfers were declared ineligible, or .42%".   With open enrollment, athletic transfers are pretty common these days, and that's the same nationally.  The IHSAA has been very lax on enforcing this rule.     Is the IHSAA and Bobby Cox trying to make a stand this year?   Not that wrestling is high profile,  but are they using the Moran's as an example?? I wonder.   I think some school administrators aren't happy with Athletic transfers.  Its not that the admins care much about their wrestling team or whatever sport,  it means when a kid transfers the school they lose out on that state funding check. 

Nail on the head. Comes down to Money. Does it really matter were a kid goes to school as long as they are in school. So many kids quit school then go on to bad things. If a kid feels better about going to a different school and this helps keep them in school or betters there life then then let it be. sports, coach it does not matter. The point is they are being educated no matter were it is.. 

Good luck to the Moran's as a transfer parent myself i feel this whole system is a shame and the only ones that suffer are the kids. 

Nail on the head. Comes down to Money. Does it really matter were a kid goes to school as long as they are in school. So many kids quit school then go on to bad things. If a kid feels better about going to a different school and this helps keep them in school or betters there life then then let it be. sports, coach it does not matter. The point is they are being educated no matter were it is.. 

Good luck to the Moran's as a transfer parent myself i feel this whole system is a shame and the only ones that suffer are the kids. 

Please be serious, this is not about money.  Crown Point probably had 4 new kids move in the week the Moran's left.  The IHSAA specifically forbids transfers for primarily athletic reasons.  Period.  If people don't like the rule, contact the IHSAA and voice your complaint.  

As for the Moran's I don't know them or their specific situation, and probably neither do 99% of the other posters on this forum.  What I do enjoy is the uproar in the country about rules not being followed until it affects them personally. I say let's have open enrollment at any time.  Don't like your team's chances come January?  Transfer to a better one. Coach is a jerk in December?  Transfer.  Can't beat the guy in your weight class?  Transfer.  

Lastly, Crown Point should build a wall so kids can't leave and Portage should pay for it.  Problem solved. 

#Merica

Being someone not from that area in the state, and not real familiar with the situation, can someone explain it?

Seems the Moran brothers have switched schools from Crown Point to Portage, but the IHSAA isn't releasing them to wrestle, correct? When did they switch schools? Did they start at the beginning of the year? What was the motivation behind the switch? Was it because of wrestling, or some other circumstance?

Please be serious, this is not about money.  Crown Point probably had 4 new kids move in the week the Moran's left.  The IHSAA specifically forbids transfers for primarily athletic reasons.  Period.  If people don't like the rule, contact the IHSAA and voice your complaint.  

As for the Moran's I don't know them or their specific situation, and probably neither do 99% of the other posters on this forum.  What I do enjoy is the uproar in the country about rules not being followed until it affects them personally. I say let's have open enrollment at any time.  Don't like your team's chances come January?  Transfer to a better one. Coach is a jerk in December?  Transfer.  Can't beat the guy in your weight class?  Transfer.  

Lastly, Crown Point should build a wall so kids can't leave and Portage should pay for it.  Problem solved. 

#Merica

Lets make Crown Point great again.

On a serious note IHSAA hasn't really stopped transfers even if blatantly for athletic purposes.  Check the numbers,  less than half of a percent or ineligible.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Preach, Vito

Long before we bought a house or even had kids, the first thing UncleJimmy and AuntJanie did was research the SCHOOL district and moved to the best one we could afford to so that future LilJimmy's could get educated real good. Now, LilJimmy starts excelling in Robotics..we didn't immediately start looking for the best Robotics school in the area, we trusted the educators to teach him. Here's the rub tho..if we did pull him out of our current district and send him to Robotic Tech, we could have and no IHSAA Dept of Robotics would have said "you cannot do that as it is for Robotics reasons only"! So why do they do that for athletes? Or do they do that for education too? So that doesn't seem fair.

On the other hand, if we have rampant transfers, well then you have (using da Region as examples only as that's what we're talking) Portage being the "wrestling" school, Merrillville becoming the "football" school, LC for "baseball" etc and you take your elite kids to those schools. With no transfer rules/guidelines then you suddenly have schools that can actively recruit, offer "incentives" etc. Plus, maybe LilJohnny is the best rightfielder his Soph year and gets "accepted" to LC. Who's to say the LC coach doesn't find a better LilJoey next year and says "sorry, LilJohnny..you're cut!" Then Johnny goes to the second best school and that rightfielder gets cut and so on down the line.

There isn't an easy answer and no situation is cut and dried. Like VIto implies tho, there has to be some type of rule/guideline or else it's just open enrollment for anybody, anywhere, at anytime. Then your mediocre/fringe Robotic kids are the ones who lose as they get cut for better kids.

I hope for the best for the kids. They truly are the ones who suffer in this situation. It's a tought deal all around.

Edited by UncleJimmy

Lets make Crown Point great again.

On a serious note IHSAA hasn't really stopped transfers even if blatantly for athletic purposes.  Check the numbers,  less than half of a percent or ineligible.

It's up to the school to file a report with the IHSAA.  Local control is generally a good thing.  

And for the record I have ZERO desire for Crown Point to become great again!

Edited by vito pepperelli

Being from a program that is used to having 1 or 2 hammers I feel it is a big hit to programs when this happens.

I also see the other side being a father of a kid that is a decent wrestler and student. We debated this prior to going into high school and prior to senior year because of coaching changes/in system.

In the end my 2 cents are if you don't want issues than decide before freshman year. If not I feel each should be investigated. Just like the kids that move, the kids that are on the team they are leaving take a hit. It's one thing if someone decides not to wrestle again, but another when they choose a different team over their current.

There is very few transfers that are done because of correct actions. And I don't know this situation personally so cannot state whether this is one of those situations or not! Sounds fishy with change of coaching, during CP's rebuilding time vs. Portage's up time and in the middle of these kids high school careers.

I doubt that check to go to wrestling state is that big of a factor. Isn't that distributed to all schools because it's all classed together? Thought I heard it was broken down some strange way and wasn't very much.

Either way it sounds like this could have been solved by going out for Cross Country to give them time to figure out what to do during wrestling season.

****BREAKING NEWS****

Edward Snowden has showed me a copy of the Moran Vs Crown Point ihsaa hearing transcripts.  The real reason the Morans and other last year Varsity wrestlers are no longer on that team is revealed at the hearing. The transcripts were great reading material!! It is NOT good for Crown Point!

Depending on the outcome the transcripts may be released......OUCH!   (WIKILEAKS)

Lets just say I am SURPRISED numerous others DID NOT LEAVE!

****BREAKING NEWS****

Edward Snowden has showed me a copy of the Moran Vs Crown Point ihsaa hearing transcripts. The real reason the Morans and other last year Varsity wrestlers are no longer on that team is revealed at the hearing. The transcripts were great reading material!! It is NOT good for Crown Point!

Depending on the outcome the transcripts may be released......OUCH! (WIKILEAKS)

Lets just say I am SURPRISED numerous others DID NOT LEAVE!

I think that everyone of the cases has their own reasoning.. But if they approve some they should approve all if you physically don't move but switch schools ..

If they are deemed ineligible would they be allowed to return to the original school to complete this year?

Being someone not from that area in the state, and not real familiar with the situation, can someone explain it?

Seems the Moran brothers have switched schools from Crown Point to Portage, but the IHSAA isn't releasing them to wrestle, correct? When did they switch schools? Did they start at the beginning of the year? What was the motivation behind the switch? Was it because of wrestling, or some other circumstance?

The Moran brothers did move to Portage.  They are currently deemed ineligible.  They started the school year at Portage, and moved to Portage prior to that point.  This makes their father's drive to work 20 miles shorter, and their mothers about 10 miles shorter.  They also did not feel comfortable at CP anymore.  

Their father contacted the IHSAA in August of last year stating that they had their house on the market and they were planning on transferring for above reasons.  Their father told the IHSAA that he was trying to be as transparent as possible about the whole situation and from what I know the IHSAA said okay.  

CP is challenging a new rule regarding "Past Link".  As a National Team Coach, Coach Vega assisted Jake at National Tournaments.  This is what they are trying to figure out if that was inside the timetable or not and whether coaching at a national tournament would constitute that there was undue influence on Jake.  They do not have the same case against Jonathan.  Jonathan was not coached by a Portage coach until he stepped into the room officially enrolled at Portage.  They are both still ineligible at this time.

I think that everyone of the cases has their own reasoning.. But if they approve some they should approve all if you physically don't move but switch schools ..

If they are deemed ineligible would they be allowed to return to the original school to complete this year?

East Dad-

Do you know something that I do not know?  The entire family has moved.  All three children are enrolled in Portage schools.  It is obvious that you are hearing rumors that just are not true.  I know this is a rumor because I have been told the rumor myself.  They would not be allowed to go back to CP either, nor would they want to.  Crown Point has totally ostracized these kids.  It is a shame, because the family is awesome. 

East Dad-

Do you know something that I do not know?  The entire family has moved.  All three children are enrolled in Portage schools.  It is obvious that you are hearing rumors that just are not true.  I know this is a rumor because I have been told the rumor myself.  They would not be allowed to go back to CP either, nor would they want to.  Crown Point has totally ostracized these kids.  It is a shame, because the family is awesome. 

This is just wrong.  I appreciate you giving some transparency on the situation.  

IHSAA ruled against my friends kid on his transfer , he's ruled in eligible and has to wrestle JV this year . He's a Semi-State wrestler. Seems they (IHSAA) are a little tougher this year . Sorry to see happen to 2 great wrestlers.

DUAL :

I'll take underdogs Chesterton in a close one .

I guess my question would be, that if they knew they were changing schools before the year, and if it was closer to everyone's work, why didn't they just enroll before the season?

I'm on the fence on these sort of issues. I want the kids to be able to compete, for sure, but I don't like situations where kids don't like a coach so they change, or they think they'll have a better team, so they change - or they can't beat a guy out at a weight class, so they move. I'm not saying these are the things happening here - but I do think there needs to be restrictions on switching for athletic reasons. Now, switching for academic reasons is totally different in my opinion.

I guess my question would be, that if they knew they were changing schools before the year, and if it was closer to everyone's work, why didn't they just enroll before the season?

I'm on the fence on these sort of issues. I want the kids to be able to compete, for sure, but I don't like situations where kids don't like a coach so they change, or they think they'll have a better team, so they change - or they can't beat a guy out at a weight class, so they move. I'm not saying these are the things happening here - but I do think there needs to be restrictions on switching for athletic reasons. Now, switching for academic reasons is totally different in my opinion.

According to Regionality,  they enrolled prior to the start of the school year, which is quite a bit before the season.   I don't think many people have a problem for families moving for jobs and economic reasons. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.