Kayla Miracle, Sarah Hildebrandt, Nick Lee at World Team Trials in New York starting THIS MORNING

maligned

As many of you know, there is a special World Championships in Hungary in December for the 2 weight classes per style of international wrestling that were not wrestled at the Olympics.  (Six weights each for freestyle, greco, and women's are wrestled at the Olympics with two weights each excluded.)

Indiana's own Kayla Miracle (60kg/132lbs), Sarah Hildebrandt (55kg/121lbs), and Nick Lee (61kg/134lbs) will take a stab at being the US rep at their first senior-level worlds.  Action begins at 10am today for the women, with finals at 6:30pm.  The freestyle men wrestle tomorrow according to the same schedule and Greco is on Saturday.  

A #4 seed, Miracle will be battling against several former world-teamers, but she's shown this year domestically and internationally that she's right there with the best we have to offer, including falling in a heartbreaker to today's #1 seed, Ali Ragan, at the Olympic Team Trials.  She will have a genuine shot to be our girl at 60kg.  Also seeded fourth, Hildebrandt will likewise face stiff tests from a couple of ex-world teamers, but she too has gradually moved up the pecking order and could be nearing a breakthrough.  Nick Lee will be putting his hat in the senior-level ring for the first time in a huge step up in competition in an absolutely loaded field of ex-National Champs and All-Americans, including superstar Logan Stieber, who has shown in the past 12 months that he can beat anyone in the world when he's been competing up at 65kg/143lbs.  Lee will truly be getting his first glimpse of some of the valley he'll need to cross to reach greatness. 

This special WTT event is being held in conjunction with the annual Bill Farrell/New York Athletic Club tournament.  The other 6 international weights per style will also be wrestled each day as standard open tournaments with many individuals from other nations also participating.  The non-Olympic weights will be restricted to Americans only and will incorporate a special best-of-3 final.  

Other former Indiana high schoolers wrestling in the normal Farrell tournament will be Jordin Humphrey (65kg/143lbs) and Braden Atwood (125kg/275lbs).

All of the action can be followed at FloWrestling.org/arena and streamed live as part of FloWrestling.org's subscription service.

Edited by maligned

Correction to the original message above...although TrackWrestling was used for registration, they don't seem to have brackets loaded, nor does it seem they'll be tracking the event live.  Go to FloWrestling.org/arena instead.

Nick Lee will wrestle 2-time All-American, Alan Waters, in the first round at about 10:30 this morning. Waters was 4th at the Olympic Trials at 57kg and earlier in the year teched Stevan Micic in the match that qualified him for the OTTs.

Edited by maligned

Ness always seems to come out like gangbusters and he's a man-sized 61. He's been up 9 pounds higher at 65kg the last couple seasons trying to qualify for the olympics and he owns a couple nice wins there, including over Metcalf. Even after Nick beat Waters, who's normally 9 pounds down at 57kg, I thought Ness' size and early intensity would probably be problematic.

Nick used three laces to close out the match in the first.

True, I was referring to the usual complained of a wrestler winning with an immediate TD to 4 laces/guts and how that's not always a telling result. Nick showed much more of his grit and arsenal than that in the win over Waters. Too bad he wasn't able to find the same results against Ness, but that's the ebb and flow of Freestlye wrestling.

I saw all four of Nick's matches on flow today and I was astonished. He literally beat two grown men today, and I still don't know how he did it. In his first win over Alan Waters he tossed him for four points. Took him down again on a go behind, then leg laced him for six more points and a tech fall. In his third match he beat Shelton Mack a former Pitt wrestler and three time NCAA qualifier, 9-8. Nick took him down several times and suprising to me, his freestyle tactics and mat awareness surpassed the veteran Mack.

In his two losses, one to former NCAA champ Jason Ness and one to former Northern Iowa wrestler Joey Lazer he looked overmatched against two veterans. All-in-all it was a great showing for Nick. Wrestling high caliber matches like this will be great for his progress.

I heard on flow that he had a Japanese gold medalist in his corner. I don't know what the deal is there, but that sounds like a good thing.

I heard on flow that he had a Japanese gold medalist in his corner. I don't know what the deal is there, but that sounds like a good thing.

Nittany Lion Wrestling Club Arhlete/Coach Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu. Good light weight training partner and technician.

This may be a dumb question, but do these senior level wrestlers know who Nick Lee is?  How separate is their world from Cadet and Juniors?  All of those guys are post college, right?  

Sure...they follow what's going on and look at recruiting and national rankings and everything else. Lots of guys are active on social media and know the landscape well. They would know he's been on age group national teams, he was Who's Number One MVP, he trains at Nittany Lion WC, etc. Especially once entry lists are final and draws are given and things, they're going to go searching for info and look for tape. There's no way Waters was broadsided by some random 18-year-old. He knew who it was. 

Edited by maligned

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.