Best excuses

Coach Brobst

• 2 weeks later...

The "Pratice is just not Fun" is one that boggles my mind. I played 3 sports and hated practice in all 3 sports. It makes me wonder what these other sports are doing that kids are loving coming to practice to giggle and laugh for 2 1/2 hours? 

The worst thing is these 13-16 year old kids believe we've never heard all their excuses.  Like we are going to believe it is really anything else then they just cant cut it. I just laugh at this point. 

This year alone:

I have to work to pay for my car insurance.

Its too hard.

We didn't play enough games last year.

I'm gonna try out for basketball. 

I'm just going to lift.

I'm going to focus on baseball this year.

I don't want to lose weight.

Oh and a couple of year's ago, i got...."I'm just too busy right now with my 4H rabbits"

OMG!

"Wrestling has too many Saturday meets." 

When I asked him what he's so busy doing on Saturday's, his response, "I have to mow the lawn." My response, "That will take you a long time in December and January." His response (with a sense of relief and no idea that I was being a smart a$$), "You're right, it does, coach." 

Maybe instead of poking fun at these excuses on a public forum, coaches could make wrestling more fun for the kids, while still working hard and improving.

As an outsider not associated with any team, it's very easy to see which teams and coaches are having fun, and which ones are not.  Maybe its on the coaches to figure out creative ways to keep the fringe kids involved and having a good time, instead of just saying "kids these days don't want to work hard."

Maybe you took a fun topic and put some ridiculousness to it! Relax it's a topic and no one is getting harmed in the making of this topic!

Maybe instead of poking fun at these excuses on a public forum, coaches could make wrestling more fun for the kids, while still working hard and improving.

As an outsider not associated with any team, it's very easy to see which teams and coaches are having fun, and which ones are not.  Maybe its on the coaches to figure out creative ways to keep the fringe kids involved and having a good time, instead of just saying "kids these days don't want to work hard."

Ski Club

Many wrestlers have quit over the last few years and join ski club. I believe they learn about skiing and snowboarding and then actually go a couple times during the winter. I have been told it hurts all winter sports at our school, not just wrestling.

Or maybe the men that spend so many hours trying to make better young men, not just better wrestlers, need a little comic relief.  Maybe someone who is an outsider can volunteer a little of his time to the improvement of the program instead of passing judgement how others can improve theirs, just a thought.  Anyway, as I was saying

-"I'm not wearing one of those outfits"

-"I don't want to roll on the floor with another dude"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.