Singlets or Fight Shorts/Compression Shirts?

Justin Ratliff

I don't mind shifting to the fight shorts and shirt. However, the kids who claim the singlet is too revealing will still not be a big fan of a tight shirt that is just as revealing as a singlet.

Exactly.

Whether you shift from singlets to shorts and shirts or not, the wrestler will still have to wear something that is compressed.

Edited by Antknee

I don't mind shifting to the fight shorts and shirt. However, the kids who claim the singlet is too revealing will still not be a big fan of a tight shirt that is just as revealing as a singlet.

I think the t-shirts make a big difference. I I saw a kid at the IHPO wearing a two piece singlet, so essentially compression shorts and a tight fitting shirt. I thought it looked great.  The shirts are way less revealing than the singlets.  Both are tight fitting, and I always just thought of the tiny sleeves on the t-shirts, and thought it wouldn't make that big of a difference, but  it really did.  The area you really notice it at is the chest, underarms, and back.  Most singlets have a 5X7 or so cut out on the chest, back, and arms?  That ends up being a lot of extra material.  You really see it when a guy in a singlet is wrestling a guy in shorts/ tight tee.

I think that the new uniforms will be a big time positive for the sport.  They don't take away anything, and imo add a lot of positives.  From a marketing stand point the new singlets will be a huge improvement.  I would love to be able to support my favorite wrestlers and college teams by wearing their singlet shirt around.

Besides the fact that people like them, and that singlets are somewhat traditional is there any rational reason why they are better than the new uniform?

Edited by buscowrestling

The only argument I can see would be heavyweights. I have had kids quit because of their man boobs popping out of singlet's, even with us suggesting an undershirt. I have them and am proud, but I know high schools are a little less confident.

I am fine with either but do see some benefits to the fight shorts and compression shirts when it comes to getting kids out. However I wonder about the durability of the fight shorts and shirt. We get new singlets every 4-5 years at my school and with the cost being about the same it seems like the shorts and shirts would have to be replaced much more often. Does anyone have experience with the shorts and shirts and if so an opinion on the durability of them?

From what I've seen before, with most uniform changes the IHSAA usually gives school a two year grace period before it's mandatory. This would allow the ADs to budget around the changes. I'm not sure where the IHSAA stands in this issue, but if it does become a change I'm sure team will have time to adjust. Or more likely I could see it being a secondary option along with the singlet, rather than a requirement.

I'd like to see if offering secondary uniform option at the elementary and middle would work in drawing some more participants. If it get more kids over any initial reservations enough so we can get them hooked on the sport, then a switch to a singlet in HS may not be as big of a issue.

Edited by MattM

I love wrestling and I would support the movement if it happened. However, wrestling would not be the same for me if this were to occur. When I was a little kid, one of the things I looked forward to most at the IHSAA state finals was seeing all the vintage, and well-designed singlets that my favorite wrestlers wore. To see kids wear fight shorts and a compression shirt would be rough because I feel like there is so much pride in getting to wear a certain singlet in the finals of tournaments. I never wrestled in the semi state finals or the state finals but wearing my school's black singlets in the finals of every other tournament was a blast. Not to mention, there are already instances where we see kids grabbing headgear and singlet straps. Baggy shorts are going to make that worse in my opinion. If it's not broke don't fix it. 

You can still design your fight shorts and compression shirt in a different way for State. I see a ton of positives for switching. Most teams have fight shorts nowadays anyways so you would really only add the compression shirt. I have had seniors who have the same fight shorts from freshman year. Obviously they are not competing in them all year long, but two to three times a week in practice and all of our meets during warmups, plus some of the kids where them around school or wherever. The durability of the fight shorts are going to be what you pay for them. We pay $30 and they seem to hold up just fine.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.