The greatest wrestler/football in Indiana history?

Jayruss

I played football and wrestled against Goldsberry in high school. My senior year when we (pike central) played them (heritage hills) two things happened that night I kind of considered were the personal highlights of my football career-

1. I had a solo tackle on Goldsberry for a gain of 0 yards. He was almost untouchable that year so to me that was a big deal.

2. Later in that game, I had a sack on Jay Cutler. At the time that was also a big deal, but now a days if you get paid millions of dollars you can just sack him anytime you want :)

I played football and wrestled against Goldsberry in high school. My senior year when we (pike central) played them (heritage hills) two things happened that night I kind of considered were the personal highlights of my football career-

1. I had a solo tackle on Goldsberry for a gain of 0 yards. He was almost untouchable that year so to me that was a big deal.

2. Later in that game, I had a sack on Jay Cutler. At the time that was also a big deal, but now a days if you get paid millions of dollars you can just sack him anytime you want :)

Sacking Cutler isn't that big of a deal...lots of people do it these days!

• 2 weeks later...

If memory serves me Jon Goldsberry lost to Matt Hasbrook in the state finals. Hasbrook went on to play football/wrestle at Michigan St and eventually transferred to Notre Dame, where he played football.

Correct. Matt Hasbrook was also a more accomplished wrestler winning the Cadet and Junior Nationals, FILA Cadet World Greco Runner-up, and State IHSAA title. As for football, he was the Phil Eskew Mental Attitude Winner, 2 time IHSAA State Football Champ starting both ways for Cathedral, All-State, and lettered at Michigan State and Notre Dame in football. Fun fact: After winning the state at 215lbs in 2000, he played DT for Notre Dame at 295lbs.   

• 2 weeks later...

Billy Baker from Bellmont! Stellar wrestling and football career

Definitely a football stud. Still remember in DFL running across the whole field to tackle him from behind while his big brother was lead blocking. I had two bruises around the sternum from each one of their cleats from it.

Correct. Matt Hasbrook was also a more accomplished wrestler winning the Cadet and Junior Nationals, FILA Cadet World Greco Runner-up, and State IHSAA title. As for football, he was the Phil Eskew Mental Attitude Winner, 2 time IHSAA State Football Champ starting both ways for Cathedral, All-State, and lettered at Michigan State and Notre Dame in football. Fun fact: After winning the state at 215lbs in 2000, he played DT for Notre Dame at 295lbs.   

The earlier-mentioned Nick Hardwick was a lanky 171 his senior year of high school (didn't play football), walked on and played O-line at Purdue at around 295, and started for the Chargers for 10 years at 6'4" and 305 pounds.

Here he is during his career: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Hardwick_(American_football)

Here's an article that talks about how much he had to eat to maintain his size, with a pic of him right after retirement.  It's hilarious to see: http://uk.businessinsider.com/nfl-player-chargers-nick-hardwick-weight-loss-2015-6?r=US&IR=T

Edited by maligned

Overall for the question asked, I agree with Hasbrook.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.