IHPO Quality! Any Thoughts?

As usual it is looking like there are going to be some quality wrestlers at this again.  148 is looking nice already has 2 state champs, a runner up, and several other state kids.

Registered        Stud listed

109: 32                        6
116: 24                        6
123: 28                        9
129: 26                        7
135: 23                        5
141: 20                        6
148: 26                        11
155: 21                        5
163: 17                        3
173: 9                          4
185: 9                          2
198: 4                          2
223: 5                          3
288: 2                          1

Total: 246                  70

Just a quick reminder on seeding, we group each weight into different separation groups

1. State Champion/IHPO Champion
2. State 2-3/IHPO 2-4
3. State 4-5
4. State 6-8
5. State Qualifier
6. Other Credential- Someone we deem necessary to separate from others based on previous criteria.

Then the computer randomly seeds each kid based on the criteria. So #1s are the first seeds, #2s after that, and so on. For 148 right now this is what it would look like
Seed- Name
1-2 Brayton Lee Indiana State 1st 1st '14
1-2 Chase Archangelo Delaware State 1st  
3-4 Kasper McIntosh Indiana State 2nd  
3-4 Jake Polka Illinois State Qualifier 4th IHPO
5-6 Trent Johnson Kentucky State 4th, NHSCA Sophomore 4th  
5-6 Joey Sanchez Ohio State 5th  
7-9 Jakob McClintic Kentucky State 6th  
7-9 Kyle Hatch Indiana State 7th  
7-9 Hugo Villarreal II Ohio State 8th  
10-11 Gary DeFine Ohio State Qualifier  
10-11 Joshua Otto Wisconsin State Qualifier  

*Edit Polka is a returning IHPO placer

You mean your not going to play the Mishawaka card and just go with state placing?  I always enjoyed when people would argue that someone should seed higher than another because they finished in state higher. Mishawaka would come back and say but this is The Al Smith Tournament and they placed higher here so they get the higher seed. I love that mentality! This will probably happen to us this year, we won't lie and say we went to state to get a higher seed (inside joke to people at last years Al Smith seeding meeting)!

**Disclaimer: Love to the Mishawaka people! You put on a great tournament and are classy people! Don't sink to my level to get back at me! Well there is that Fabian fellow there, watch out for him!

Is that sarcasm?  This was discussed here last year.  The date of the ISWA Annual Meeting is set by its bylaws.  It has been that weekend for many years.  The question should be "Why would the IHPO decide to set their tournament on the same date as the meeting?"

Some of your stabs at the ISWA are justified.  This one is not.

Why would the IHPO decide to set their tournament on the same date as the meeting?

1. We can't have it over Labor Day weekend because of the ACD Festival in the area which takes up MANY hotels.

2. We moved to Sunday due to kids playing football that wanted to participate

3. We only have about 4 weeks to do the event with August being a little early. We have always had the event on this weekend with 6 of the 7 years being on Sunday. 

I fully understand the ISWA could care less about IndianaMat and would never do anything to work with others in the state. We'll just have to continue to have this conflict as I don't see them changing anything. 

Hard to believe that the state's governing body isn't willing to change its bylaws for a tournament that isn't even sanctioned through them.  The only way to change bylaws is by a vote at the annual meeting (isn't that ironic).  Is next year's IHPO date set yet?  They would need to that in order to vote to change their bylaws a year in advance.

Joe - I know you have solid reasons for the date you choose for the tournament that have nothing to do with the ISWA.  But the conflict is not the ISWA's fault, and they shouldn't be blamed for it.

The IHPO has always been the Sunday after Labor Day. 

I would think the ISWA might want to change their date at the request of coaches and club directors that want to attend both events. A couple years ago we were on different dates and I recall many coaches happy to attend both. 

Like you said though the ISWA won't change, I don't expect it, never will, we'll survive...600 kids the past three years and on track for well over 600 this year so they aren't hurting us one bit. 

We have always had the event on this weekend with 6 of the 7 years being on Sunday. 

The IHPO has always been the Sunday after Labor Day. 

I just caught you lying (but it's just a technicality)

Honestly, if I had to choose which to attend, I would choose the IHPO.  However, I won't get the chance for many years.

It has been very good.  Realistically, only club reps and board members have to choose which one to attend.  It doesn't affect most people.  warsawwrestling made it seem that it was a conspiracy by the ISWA to try to hurt your tournament.

On the ISWA site I would venture to say close to 50% of the club reps listed are a high school coach.

The club rep listed on the website doesn't have to be the one who attends the meeting.

Even before the IHPO started, usually less than half of the clubs had a rep at the annual meeting.

An annual meeting is a formality that all organizations are required to have.

I get what you are saying but common sense should prevail. I mean some of the team's that ISWA should be wanting to pull in or accommodate because of their success go to this tournament! I also believe one of the bylaws deals with working with teams & coaches to better the sport! The fact that we are dealing with issues like this every year because nothing was listened to from the year before shows the importance of improving the system, at least in my view! Which is sad, only one of me and I can't be at both. I wanted to be more involved this year in ISWA, since I was told this was the only way my voice counts. Well after years of being a member!Guess I will try next year!

Is that sarcasm? This was discussed here last year. The date of the ISWA Annual Meeting is set by its bylaws. It has been that weekend for many years. The question should be "Why would the IHPO decide to set their tournament on the same date as the meeting?"

Some of your stabs at the ISWA are justified. This one is not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.