Why not have 15 weight classes for folkstyle in high school?

If you wanted an odd number of weight classes, wouldn't it make more sense to eliminate 106? Don't like 1/3 of teams forfeit that weight class?

Not saying I want to take a weight class away.  Just not sure adding a 250 lb class would be the way to go.  If anything, add one back to the middle weight classes.

Add back the middle weight and keep the 182lbs weight, most teams don't have extra big guys especially one over 250lbs.

I wouldn't be opposed to that, but aren't the trends showing future kids will be heavier? That's why I proposed 250 besides it is halfway between the other 2 with the biggest discrepancy. I'd be for 17 weight classes, but that's not realistic when 14 is hard to reach for some.

I wouldn't be opposed to that, but aren't the trends showing future kids will be heavier? That's why I proposed 250 besides it is halfway between the other 2 with the biggest discrepancy. I'd be for 17 weight classes, but that's not realistic when 14 is hard to reach for some.

If you go with a heavier weight, it'd be best to get one somewhere between 170 and 220, then move 220 up ten or 15 pounds. Maybe like 160, 170, 181, 192, 205, 230, 285.

The trend is kids are bigger, I think a lot can be attributed to more males start school later. However, adding a weight as heavy as 250 would do the same as adding 98lbs. Each end of the weight classes show more forfeits and obviously less participation than the middle. the 132-138-145 range shows the least amount of forfeits.

The trend is kids are bigger, I think a lot can be attributed to more males start school later. However, adding a weight as heavy as 250 would do the same as adding 98lbs. Each end of the weight classes show more forfeits and obviously less participation than the middle. the 132-138-145 range shows the least amount of forfeits.

Yeah, I'd say 132 to 160 would probably be my estimate of the majority of teams' rooms. With all the media coverage about bigger, faster, stronger athletes and obesity being a stronger trend, will those weights shift up in 15 or so years? I'll have to find my list when I jotted down classes for 15 + classes. I definitely changes some classes through trying to spread out the classes so that they were incremental throughout.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.