Junior National Duals

Additional Coverage by Flo...

Top 8 Teams  -  See what all the fuss is about.

Day 1 Junior Dual Upsets

Greatest Junior Dual Team of All Time

Top 10 Star-Studded Matches

Minnesota's Stacked Roster

Oklahoma Looking to 3 Peat

Multiple State Champs Lead Iowa

New Jersey Preview

California Brings the Heat 

If you take the time to visit these links you will see the sense of urgency to keep Indiana relevant, not just at this event but overall.

Again, Disney is not really the issue, especially this year because it at least was the week before Junior Duals for me although it did hinder the Cadets.  Juniors had kids who even went to Disney, got back on Sunday, and turned around and caught the Dual bus at 7 a.m. Monday morning.  It can be done. The issue is our investment in Folkstyle versus the lack of investment in Freestyle and Greco....during the Freestyle and Greco season...which is the summer....because that is what the best in the country focus on.  Indiana's same kid who went out to Disney this year went 10-3 but comes to Junior Duals and goes a tough/ugly 4-10.  Use your imagination on where this disparity comes from, but it is not because he didn't wrestle his hardest.

From my angle, this ties directly into the two tournament qualifier and forfeits as well.  Let's say there isn't a qualifier. Having kids train, wrestle and compete in Folkstyle all summer, both locally and nationally, only to show up to Freestyle & Greco state, wrestle it for the first time, even win, then go back to investing in Folkstyle for more camps and national tournaments, and then expect to go to Fargo and win......massively defeats the purpose.  The two qualifier rule isn't the problem.  That's not even enough tournaments to learn much anyway.  Neither is making an RTC once a week or crash course camps IF they even do that.  Would you have your kids train F/G throughout the high school season, let them compete in a few Scholastic tournaments on the weekends, and expect them to win IHSAA state?

The problem is we are investing in the wrong thing at the wrong time, which is also where the forfeits come from. There were probably 500 Indiana kids wrestling somewhere (Disney, Wabash, ISI, etc) but we have forfeits on 3 national teams at every level?  We do need kids to fill these spots, but capable kids are a little bit better.  It's the same problem I have with counting national Folkstyle tournaments as qualifiers: it's not Freestyle & Greco so it simply doesn't qualify, however big and/or grand it is.  I'm up to count going to X amount of RTCs as a qualifier, especially as that program continues to develop, but this doesn't fix the root problem.  I'm not saying these events are bad, I'm saying we don't invest in what the best in the country invest in and that's why we aren't one of the best right now.  Do we have the ability to be?  Sure, but numbers and results don't lie.

It's like we almost need to be flipped upside down as a state, where starting in March everyone in the state from kids to high schoolers should train Freestyle and Greco only, go to as many local individual and dual F/G tourneys as possible, go to F/G state, go to as many USAW Regionals as possible, and cap off the season in July with the Kids F/G Nationals in Wisconsin and Fargo.  Kids want to go to national Fokstyle tournaments throughout the summer?  Fine.  Have at it.  But Monday through Friday we are training F/G.  For real.  Of course this is just a daydream, but either way we all need to invest more in the Olympic styles, even to be a better Folkstyle State.  Staying on topic of the Duals, alllllllll of those college coaches were there primarily following and scouting the good teams.  It goes hand-in-hand.  I know Folkstyle isn't going anywhere, and I don't want it to, but most people forget it isn't going anywhere.  We hang onto it like we will forget how to wrestle all together if we stop training in it from March through July, and that is just not the case even for beginner wrestlers.  It again is a comfort thing and again it starts with the coaches.

Cost for this trip definitely is an issue that we are looking to firmly address.  There are a variety of ways to make it cheaper, and it can be done, so it's just a matter of figuring out how to do it within and possibly outside of the system that is in place.  I'm not a big dog and all of our trips need to be cheaper, but I definitely am focused on making this specific trip more affordable. $300 is my goal.  That's a big jump.  I feel though with less forfeits and higher numbers being budgeted, along with securing a few corporate sponsors for this trip, we may be able to get close but that's what I'm shooting for.

Edited by Coach Hull

From my angle, this ties directly into the two tournament qualifier and forfeits as well.  Let's say there isn't a qualifier. Having kids train, wrestle and compete in Folkstyle all summer, both locally and nationally, only to show up to Freestyle & Greco state, wrestle it for the first time, even win, then go back to investing in Folkstyle for more camps and national tournaments, and then expect to go to Fargo and win......massively defeats the purpose.  The two qualifier rule isn't the problem.  That's not even enough tournaments to learn much anyway.  Neither is making an RTC once a week or crash course camps IF they even do that.  Would you have your kids train F/G throughout the high school season, let them compete in a few Scholastic tournaments on the weekends, and expect them to win IHSAA state?

So we as high school coaches shouldn't focus on improving our regional level kids and giving them tangible goals such as Semi-State or State and instead have them spend April-July working on gut wrenches and leg laces? Will that kill them? No, of course not but I would posit that there will be a greater increase in ability focusing on the one style. I know I sound like I am "making the state terrible" with that but I also make sure our kids who are capable of actually competing well in Freestyle do. Brayton Lee was one of what 3 Cadet AA's and also placed 3rd at UWW Cadets this year. That's great and he is a killer. But I will not have kids like Drew Krietzer and Evan Lawhead focusing on freestyle when they can barely compete at the high school level.

The problem is we are investing in the wrong thing at the wrong time, which is also where the forfeits come from. There were probably 500 Indiana kids wrestling somewhere (Disney, Wabash, ISI, etc) but we have forfeits on 3 national teams at every level?  We do need kids to fill these spots, but capable kids are a little bit better.  It's the same problem I have with counting national Folkstyle tournaments as qualifiers: it's not Freestyle & Greco so it simply doesn't qualify, however big and/or grand it is.  I'm up to count going to X amount of RTCs as a qualifier, especially as that program continues to develop, but this doesn't fix the root problem.  I'm not saying these events are bad, I'm saying we don't invest in what the best in the country invest in and that's why we aren't one of the best right now.  Do we have the ability to be?  Sure, but numbers and results don't lie.

As I stated before we have our studs wrestling freestyle. Why weren't they on the Duals team? I can only go by what I am told. Price is a factor, I have heard from two parents that they were told of wrestlers that were "commited" in attempts to get them to wrestle for the team but said wrestlers did not commit or even soft commit. We had 2 teams at disney and everyone got there butts kicked at least once and had 4-5 close matches. We didn't have Brayton (Nebraska Camp) or Ty( in Germany). Mulkey and Walton were our two hammers that went. Mulkey looked lights out and Walton got stuck in the finals.So the competition is there. I think there needs to be a step back and a closer look taken to try and see and understand how this sport has evolved over the past 2 decades and see how we can incorporate freestyle in to everyones training. I like the idea of a  big weekly clinic ran by killers hosted at different schools in the state. 5-6 hours of freestyle training by one of the best good matches and technique for every one and you eliminate the "im driving x miles away spending $y and only getting 3-4 matches in the same time frame.

It's like we almost need to be flipped upside down as a state, where starting in March everyone in the state from kids to high schoolers should train Freestyle and Greco only, go to as many local individual and dual F/G tourneys as possible, go to F/G state, go to as many USAW Regionals as possible, and cap off the season in July with the Kids F/G Nationals in Wisconsin and Fargo.  Kids want to go to national Fokstyle tournaments throughout the summer?  Fine.  Have at it.  But Monday through Friday we are training F/G.  For real.  Of course this is just a daydream, but either way we all need to invest more in the Olympic styles, even to be a better Folkstyle State.  Staying on topic of the Duals, alllllllll of those college coaches were there primarily following and scouting the good teams.  It goes hand-in-hand.  I know Folkstyle isn't going anywhere, and I don't want it to, but most people forget it isn't going anywhere.  We hang onto it like we will forget how to wrestle all together if we stop training in it from March through July, and that is just not the case even for beginner wrestlers.  It again is a comfort thing and again it starts with the coaches.

I agree it does start with the coaches on this one. I can name a handful of coaches around the state that actually put the time in to develop their kids. I know in #thecounty there are really only 2 programs who put ample off season time in and the rest just kind of fizzle out early or do nothing. It's lazy. The rivalries I have had with Avon and Penn are only possible because coaches on both side sacrificed so much to get there programs to where they are now and not enough coaches are willing to do that. Coach Hull you def put the time in this is not a rib at you. Freestyle, folkstyle, greco, beach, sambo whatever. We need those kind of coaches so our depth (which is our actual issue) can be corrected. 

We really need to come up with a way to fill our national teams. Heck.... we can't even fill our schoolboy team and the tournament is right here in Indy. The forfeits at the national level have to be a top priority for the powers to be. We can't wait until freestyle state to get these teams aligned. I would like to see some sort of freestyle and Greco camp or qualifier after high school state. This will allow us to get these teams full when everybody is still knee deep in the sport. The way I see it it, three things need to happen.

1. Rework the two tournament rule (make exceptions for our national team members and include rtc's as a way to qualify).

2. Pick teams earlier and hold workouts for the teams. I hate the crash course camps that we have now. Doing a three day camp and then wrestling 4 days at the national level is too much. The kids are dead in the last days. We do need to allow alternates. Getting all the matches at this level for 4 days is too much. All the top teams bring extra kids. As a team leader in the past, I would try to get kids to wrestle both styles. Heck.. My own son has done it. As I look back, I would not recommend a kid to do all matches over the four days.

3. Figure out a way to make the trip cheaper.

I like many of your suggestions on other topics, however I disagree on part of this one.  I don't care for there being a camp/qualifier right after high school state.  HS kids are at their most banged up right after HS state.  But I get where you are coming from.  I guess I still like earning a Fargo spot by placement at FS state because it rewards kids who truly make the commitment.  The two tournament qualifier has clearly hurt the number of kids who will make that commitment although.  If we ever go to a different system in Indiana of qualifying for Fargo, I would really suggest we put together three separate (but equal) teams: North, Central and South.  For example, that way the kids in the far south could practice together and build a culture together.  We can't get everyone to Indy all the time.  And a one-stop qualifier in Indy will evaporate the remaining north and south kids still doing FS.  Having a north and central and south team might also give the ISWA a list of committed kids to hand pick from for Cadet and Junior Duals.

From talking to other parents that were there, competing on the national team from other states is an absolute honor, and monetarily speaking, their kids were "rewarded" with this trip to represent their respective states.  From the handful of parents that I spoke to, not one state had the price tag that we did for this experience, and some of the teams even flew their kids in for cheaper.  

Surely we could get sponsors for our teams to knock the price down.  When I wrestled in Mexico on a Team Indiana trip in the 90's I got some local sponsors to help pay part of the trip.  I also helped seal some driveways, helped do some roofing, etc. to pay for my trip.

I plan on taking some of our youth to USA Folkstyle Nationals this year and I will get some local sponsorships to help fund the trip to encourage parents to get their wrestler involved.  If I can do that with a small club surely we can do that with our state team for nationals, right?

What I find ironic is that there are 500 plus kids still wrestling, but we cannot fill our National Teams! Obviously the grown-ups have a division of sorts, not the kids! Some of it is difference in coaching, rules causing it easier or harder, kids wanting to have fun with friends, and several other reasons. All 3 styles can be done at once, it's been done like that for years in all states. I actually think it teaches each style better because of the thought process needed to do it.

Coach Hull you have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I personally think your heart is in the right spot and as of late you seem like you have been attempting to work with others more then in the past. But you have away of making things difficult. You may have a bunch of high school coaches, college coaches and college athletes that side with you, but you also have a large population of Indiana high school coaches that don't! And in the end those Indiana high school coaches are the ones you need in order to fill these teams and get kids wrestling f/g.

What I find ironic is that there are 500 plus kids still wrestling, but we cannot fill our National Teams! Obviously the grown-ups have a division of sorts, not the kids! Some of it is difference in coaching, rules causing it easier or harder, kids wanting to have fun with friends, and several other reasons. All 3 styles can be done at once, it's been done like that for years in all states. I actually think it teaches each style better because of the thought process needed to do it.

Coach Hull you have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I personally think your heart is in the right spot and as of late you seem like you have been attempting to work with others more then in the past. But you have away of making things difficult. You may have a bunch of high school coaches, college coaches and college athletes that side with you, but you also have a large population of Indiana high school coaches that don't! And in the end those Indiana high school coaches are the ones you need in order to fill these teams and get kids wrestling f/g.

He rubbed people the wrong way because he looked at a situation, stated his opinion, and then stood up for his opinion and didn't flip flop like many on this board would do when the pressure was on. I'll take a man like that to coach my kids rather than a coach that flip flops because of the opinions of Indianamat. If it hurts your feelings that someone stood up for what they believe in, maybe its time to rethink what you are about.

He rubbed people the wrong way because he looked at a situation, stated his opinion, and then stood up for his opinion and didn't flip flop like many on this board would do when the pressure was on. I'll take a man like that to coach my kids rather than a coach that flip flops because of the opinions of Indianamat. If it hurts your feelings that someone stood up for what they believe in, maybe its time to rethink what you are about.

Very admirable indeed. Hopefully this works out then if we are not going to try and fix things. Constituents have stated their issues, they will either be addressed or they will not. Time will tell.

Odd! I haven't flipped or flopped either! So yippee me! So by your theory you would take me to coach your kids! You can put lipstick on this pig however you want, but you have alone 4 Indy teams going to Disney and another one just south of Indy. But we can't fill a national team because of whatever reason you want to place on it! At the end of the day it is ISWA's responsibility to find ways of getting things smoothed over! They are the business providing the product and the wrestlers and coaches are the consumers! Wrestling and coaches can survive without ISWA, but ISWA cannot survive without wreslers. That is just the facts! There are roughly 600 wrestlers wrestling in Indiana in the off season, how many were are Junior, cadet and schoolboy duels? It's not that I don't think Coach Hull isn't a great person, but him and the ISWA need to find ways to make it work! The approach being used is that of the 80's & 90's. Kids today do not respond to this method, nor do coaches. Just to many other options out there that cost less, have less restrictions and cater to coaches and wrestlers!

Odd! I haven't flipped or flopped either! So yippee me! So by your theory you would take me to coach your kids! You can put lipstick on this pig however you want, but you have alone 4 Indy teams going to Disney and another one just south of Indy. But we can't fill a national team because of whatever reason you want to place on it! At the end of the day it is ISWA's responsibility to find ways of getting things smoothed over! They are the business providing the product and the wrestlers and coaches are the consumers! Wrestling and coaches can survive without ISWA, but ISWA cannot survive without wreslers. That is just the facts! There are roughly 600 wrestlers wrestling in Indiana in the off season, how many were are Junior, cadet and schoolboy duels? It's not that I don't think Coach Hull isn't a great person, but him and the ISWA need to find ways to make it work! The approach being used is that of the 80's & 90's. Kids today do not respond to this method, nor do coaches. Just to many other options out there that cost less, have less restrictions and cater to coaches and wrestlers!

Some of the coaches on this board are the first ones to complain and ask the same question that gets asked every year. "Why does Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan beat us like a drum on a regular basis?" It's because the coaches and clubs in those states and others states like Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, California, Minnesota etc make a commitment to wrestle the Olympic styles, and to be proud to represent their state at these USAW national tournaments, they make it affordable, and they want to see the elite guys and beat the elite teams.

So what do we have to do? How do we do it?

Make a commitment as coaches to welcome and teach the international styles in our rooms. Even if we have to be taught how to do that. 

Help our kids afford to go on the national trips by doing fund raisers and seeking sponsorship. Hopefully the ISWA will be able to put in a plan to do so at their level to help even more.

We should want to be the best, and we need to help the ISWA put a team together to compete with the best. We always talk about how our top guys match up well with Ohio and Illinois, but have yet to prove it on the national stage. The national stage, is Schoolboy duals, Cadet Duals, Junior Duals, and Fargo. 

Umm just for clarification, Ohio was 9th last year and 19th in 2014. They aren't as into the international styles as you want to believe. The one thing they have is depth that losing their top guys isn't as bad as us.

Pennsylvania has had very lackluster results in the international styles the past 5 years also.

Michigan definitely has a lot less interest in the international styles than us. Again depth helps them somewhat.

Gogoplata, I don't really disagree with you. I'm a 4 time state champ in freestyle myself, and love the style. Back in my day we had 8-10 weeks of it, had our age group one weekend and the upper age group we could wrestle the next. I have been stating if freestyle is going to survive ISWA needs to make it their priority and give it a longer time frame. To change styles for maybe 4 tournaments and a bunch of things going on like prom, SAT's, spring break and Folkstyle Nationals is damn near impossible to do and keep the interest of high school kids, mostly right after high school season! Any little distraction will give them an excuse. A lot of them are like I will take the next 6 weeks off and then come back and start working for next year, because it's going to be hard for them to make the 2 qualifiers.

Umm just for clarification, Ohio was 9th last year and 19th in 2014. They aren't as into the international styles as you want to believe. The one thing they have is depth that losing their top guys isn't as bad as us.

Pennsylvania has had very lackluster results in the international styles the past 5 years also.

Michigan definitely has a lot less interest in the international styles than us. Again depth helps them somewhat.

How did Ohio finish in the Jr Duals this year?

They won it, usually about once every 5 years they put together a monster team and go win Junior Duals.

They also had 25 teams at Disney including a champ in two divisions, and a 3rd and 6th in the All-Stars. That's 350 wrestlers at Disney the week before and they still won!

They won it, usually about once every 5 years they put together a monster team and go win Junior Duals.

They also had 25 teams at Disney including a champ in two divisions, and a 3rd and 6th in the All-Stars. That's 350 wrestlers at Disney the week before and they still won!

I knew you would know that...saved me looking it up.

My son wrestled on the Juniors Team last year, both styles. Went 13-3 over all. These are the reasons we did not send him this year. 1. Cost, went to VB (Team wrestled 11 matches) went to Disney (Team wrestled 13 matches). Flew to both. Disney rooms were paid for as well as 3 meals a day. Tulsa trip cost more than both combined and it is an 11 hour bus ride each way. The Illinois and Washington parents last year told me what they paid and it was a fraction of what Indiana kids had to pay. 2. Dr. would not release my son to wrestle until 2 days before the Wabash dual's. From State Tournament until 2 days before Wabash, NO wrestling. Could not do qualifiers. 3. Was not on the first list posted of who made the team, even though he was on the team the year before. 4. Already has narrowed his choice to 2 Universities and both came to VB to watch him wrestle. 

I do commend Coach Hull for trying to put together a monster squad for this event. It seemed for a while we have a very status quo team selection. Basing the team solely on freestyle state put kids up weights or bumped good kids out due to stacked weights. One thing that Indiana seems to lack is a unified state pride in events such as these. I’m not sure if it’s the international styles or something else. It never hurts our state to have good showings at the bigger events no matter the style.

The forfeits at these events are embarrassing especially when we have probably 500 others on the mat at camps and other events during those same weeks. It’s not that these kids don’t want to wrestle during this time of the year, it’s they aren’t going to these events for whatever reason.

Here are a few concerns, compliments, and gripes and groans.

Junior Selection process
Overall if we are going to put our best teams out there I think this is one of the better ways to do it. However, I scratch my head at the process of “announcing” who already had a spot ahead of time. For instance, if I see Brayton Lee already has the 145lbs spot, it deters me from working my tail off to beat him to get that spot. On top of that if I see kids already in my weight, I could be even more deterred from even doing an ounce of freestyle. As a coach I am going to push the duals over Fargo for most of my kids for various reasons and in March I’m already seeing my kids have quite an uphill battle when others are given spots before I even try my first leg lace.

I understand the alternates part, but at the same time as a coach I see it almost as a deterrent for some. Paying $750 for 4 or 5 matches seems pretty steep compared to other events. You might as well pay the extra $400 and go to Fargo and at least control your destiny(match count and exposure) a little more.

Cost(Duals and Fargo)
This has been addressed and again, not sure of the solution past what has been said.  I have been to an ISWA budget meeting and let me tell you…they had to keep sharp objects away from everyone! The biggest suggestion I could ask for is to see how other states are getting their prices lower.

Changing Times(Duals and Fargo)
It’s not the style, it’s that freestyle isn’t the only rodeo in town in the spring and summer.  As with cost, kids can go to Super 32, Virginia Beach, Disney, etc. for much cheaper and get seen by just as many college coaches. Even 10 years ago these events were not as popular and freestyle events were much needed to get exposure.

Coaches(Duals and Fargo)
This is a big one and one that needs to probably be addressed the most. If you want the best kids you need their coaches on board.  Most kids are going to ask their coaches for their opinion on these events and 95% of the time they will listen to their coaches. The ISWA needs to mend the fences with the coaches to get them on board with sending their kids to these events. Doing things like clinics and such would go a long way to getting more coaches interested. Many do not know where to start with freestyle techniques and thus don’t even try.

Short Freestyle Season(Duals and Fargo)
For most kids the freestyle season is only about a month long. We had like 1000 kids wrestle in a freestyle event this year with 600 wrestling at state. After that we probably have around 120 that wrestled in regionals, duals, and Fargo.  Just for comparison’s sake we have probably 170ish clubs in the state. We aren’t even getting ONE kid per club wrestling past state. Even without the qualifiers the shortened season doesn’t make it beneficial for a kid to learn and practice a gut wrench. It is akin to my old football coach having us practice pass plays when we all knew we’d never pass the ball.

Talent Depth
I think this plays a little part in that coaches aren’t going to send their kids to duals just to get the snot kicked out of them 10 times. Ohio had 350 kids at Disney, won two divisions, and 3rd in the All-Stars and still won Junior Duals. There is no way Indiana would be able to accomplish that without almost every top 3 kid on those teams. We can’t expect to send our best teams to every event or else our Reds, Parrises, and Lees will have to wrestle about 95 off season matches. In the end some events will suffer due to this.

Conclusion
I look at events that Indiana has taken good squads to such as the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic, Virginia Beach, Disney, and even the Scholastic Duals. Even more recently we have taken some very good teams to Cadet duals. Obviously our kids want to seek out top competition, obviously they aren’t opposed to traveling and spending money on these events. Is it the style, is it the ISWA, is it the coaches in charge, is it the cost?

Move the selection process to after freestyle state. 

Longer Season.

Mend the bridges with our studs, some listening, apologizing, and comprimising could get us better teams.

It saddens me when I am told that I am not attempting to help because I am not a board member. The solutions and concerns have been expressed. Use them to make better decisions. 

Gogoplata, I don't really disagree with you. I'm a 4 time state champ in freestyle myself, and love the style. Back in my day we had 8-10 weeks of it, had our age group one weekend and the upper age group we could wrestle the next. I have been stating if freestyle is going to survive ISWA needs to make it their priority and give it a longer time frame. To change styles for maybe 4 tournaments and a bunch of things going on like prom, SAT's, spring break and Folkstyle Nationals is damn near impossible to do and keep the interest of high school kids, mostly right after high school season! Any little distraction will give them an excuse. A lot of them are like I will take the next 6 weeks off and then come back and start working for next year, because it's going to be hard for them to make the 2 qualifiers.

I agree that the 2 qualifier rule has to go. Personally I think dual tournaments are the future, our club has a blast at Carmel every year, and our kids get 6-8 good matches in and get to cheer on their teammates on the same mat like they would during the school year.

In my humble opinion...

Too much time and energy focused on debating between styles.

Not enough time and energy focused on getting and educating coaches on off-season training.

Why do we criticize programs that do year round training? Instead, why not focus on helping struggling programs that don't offer an off-season?

At Brownsburg we don't require wrestlers to do Greco and Freestyle, but we also offer year round training that we don't charge wrestlers for.

Quit fighting year round and free programs. Instead focus on coaches coaching year round at an affordable price.

#ItsWorkedForUs

#PainTrain

Snyder

Edited by Darrick Snyder

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.