Schoolboy Duals

I know I often poke the bear. Got to be honest it's fun as hell. But I don't know how else to say this again......it is hard enough to get wrestlers to work over the summer consistently. When limitations and any kind of controversy are added to that 1. It's not worth the hassle for most coaches 2. Even if you get #1, parents don't see the money value for amount of matches a kids gets in qualifying tournaments (and if you dont have them here its almost impossible to get them) vs. camps and other tournaments like Disney, HYWAY, and other close national tournaments (like battle creek and ft. Wayne).

So it's not only getting local clubs to push freestyle, but ISWA's to sell it to coaches, parents and wrestlers.

Edited by warsawwrestling

As a coach for this years schoolboy duals teams, it was extremely frustrating forfeiting in so many weight classes. There were a number of duals that we were very competitive in and had we not given up so many weight classes we absolutley could have won them. However, i think it would be a shame if we let our frustration at the fact that we struggled to fill teams stop us from recognizing how well our young men wrestled in this tournament and the fact that our teams won quite a few tough matches despite the fact that we started in such a big hole due to forfeits. We can discuss the merits of the olympic styles, the causes for the low participation, ways to increase participation, etc. but we should applaud the young men who made the decision to compete and recognize them for their effort and the way they represented the state of Indiana. Yes, its frustrating to not field a full team, but we can be proud of our kids for the way the competed. We had an outstanding group of young men on the duals teams this year and after spending a week with this group in camp and competition I'm very encouraged about the future of Indiana wrestling. So while we may not have had the type of showing that we had hoped for, know that our future is bright with this next group of kids we are sending up to the high school level.

Be encouraged at the progress we are making, and remain committed to continuing to improve the sport of wrestling in our state.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.