Yappi for Indiana

I link to much of the content through social media and it appears from shares that I see, thousands of others do too.

Polls and rankings are the same thing. What else do the GID users provide? The more I look at Indiana Mat the more content I see. I guess I see one being a comprehensive site covering all aspects and one just being a message board with a few user driving polls.

Thousands? Lol ok.

Polls and rankings are not the same thing. In our conference threads for instance we poll for MVP/POY, all conference teams, etc. Then there are user driven rankings of teams, classes from fans throughout the state.

The GID provides a platform. Before its founder passed, it also ran similar content in terms of articles and interviews, in addition to the Indiana Football Digest print magazine, and the Griddy awards in Indianapolis (now under RRSN ownership, but still thriving).

If your argument is one is better, it's irrelevant. The question posed was do they, all IN HS sports, stand to benefit by some sort of sharing, joint venture. I think the answer is obviously yes. To what degree, I have no idea. But if you want to argue who brings what to the table, I suggest you find a mirror.

One man's donation drive is another man's begging.

What exactly is the benefit of central hub?

Who controls the central hub?

One man's ads are another man's annoyance.

Logistical benefit. This is why McDonald's and Home Depot build their stores near other stores, high traffic areas, and not in isolated areas that are difficult to find.

No idea, does it matter? I assure you no one is quitting their day job, these sites are labors of love.

Edited by LongBlackLine

Thousands? Lol ok.  Share numbers are share numbers

Polls and rankings are not the same thing. In our conference threads for instance we poll for MVP/POY, all conference teams, etc. Then there are user driven rankings of teams, classes from fans throughout the state.  Links to these polls.  Im on there quite often in the fall and don't see much of this

The GID provides a platform. Before its founder passed, it also ran similar content in terms of articles and interviews, in addition to the Indiana Football Digest print magazine, and the Griddy awards in Indianapolis (now under RRSN ownership, but still thriving).  I saw links to newspaper articles but not much original content.  The Football Digest has always been a RRSN concern and the GID only nominal, if ever, involved.

If your argument is one is better, it's irrelevant. The question posed was do they, all IN HS sports, stand to benefit by some sort of sharing, joint venture. I think the answer is obviously yes. To what degree, I have no idea. But if you want to argue who brings what to the table, I suggest you find a mirror.

If the answer is obviously yes there would seem to some reasons why.  I have not seen any other then ease of clicking from one to another.  Who brings more to the table in terms of its fans clear.  Its a blow out.

There is no question we provide a good amount of staff content, but don't forget that results are very much user generated.  You would be very surprised at how much traffic we get especially from outside of Indiana.  Our social media presence is very strong with more Twitter followers, even 10X more on Facebook and then a good following on Instagram. We reach a lot broader age group and types of people from fans, coaches, athletes, and media. We are constantly documented in local news articles both print and TV. 

We have a model here that is much more friendly to long term sustainability. The GID threatens each year to close their doors, while we have never come close to it.

The Football Digest and Griddy's have no association with the GID from what I can tell. Before Tim Adams passed they had articles and interviews and that would have been a good comparison to IndianaMat. Now they are simply a messageboard. Their traffic isn't that much more than ours in all honesty, especially when you consider the popularity of each sport. 

The GID actually has the same backend as we do, so with a little creativity they could easily have a very nice website that is an all inclusive website. In all honesty I probably hit up Harrell's website more often during the season than the GID because they offer a good amount of true content and not opinions.

One man's ads are another man's annoyance.  You have already said that ads are not intrusive.   I personally find the donation drives annoying.  To each his own.

Logistical benefit. This is why McDonald's and Home Depot build their stores near other stores, high traffic areas, and not in isolated areas that are difficult to find.  Neither are difficult to find.  Poor argument to try to convince either concern to consolidate.

No idea, does it matter? I assure you no one is quitting their day job, these sites are labors of love.  No doubt, you have giving an excellent reason why the owners/moderators would not want to give up any control.

Thousands? Lol ok. Share numbers are share numbers

Polls and rankings are not the same thing. In our conference threads for instance we poll for MVP/POY, all conference teams, etc. Then there are user driven rankings of teams, classes from fans throughout the state. Links to these polls. Im on there quite often in the fall and don't see much of this

The GID provides a platform. Before its founder passed, it also ran similar content in terms of articles and interviews, in addition to the Indiana Football Digest print magazine, and the Griddy awards in Indianapolis (now under RRSN ownership, but still thriving). I saw links to newspaper articles but not much original content. The Football Digest has always been a RRSN concern and the GID only nominal, if ever, involved.

If the answer is obviously yes there would seem to some reasons why. I have not seen any other then ease of clicking from one to another. Who brings more to the table in terms of its fans clear. Its a blow out.

Frankly based on your inability to use the quote function properly when both sites use the same platform, I'm not surprised you fail to find the things I've mentioned. You also simply don't know what you're taking about on other aspects of involvement/ownership with your revisionist history. And I gave you the most obvious reason why, traffic = growth.

I don't see the IM crashing servers, if you think your followers are somehow superior, all 35 of them, again have that argument with a mirror.

One man's ads are another man's annoyance. You have already said that ads are not intrusive. I personally find the donation drives annoying. To each his own.

Logistical benefit. This is why McDonald's and Home Depot build their stores near other stores, high traffic areas, and not in isolated areas that are difficult to find. Neither are difficult to find. Poor argument to try to convince either concern to consolidate.

No idea, does it matter? I assure you no one is quitting their day job, these sites are labors of love. No doubt, you have giving an excellent reason why the owners/moderators would not want to give up any control.

This site has been around for x number of years and I just heard about it this year (via the GID).

Who said they have to give up control?

Frankly based on your inability to use the quote function properly when both sites use the same platform, I'm not surprised you fail to find the things I've mentioned. You also simply don't know what you're taking about on other aspects of involvement/ownership with your revisionist history. And I gave you the most obvious reason why, traffic = growth.

I don't see the IM crashing servers, if you think your followers are somehow superior, all 35 of them, again have that argument with a mirror.

The inevitable personal attack....how quaint.   

The deluge of football fans who can't find Indiana Mat is no doubt enormous.

LInk to said MVP/POY polls would be appreciated.  

There is no question we provide a good amount of staff content, but don't forget that results are very much user generated. You would be very surprised at how much traffic we get especially from outside of Indiana. Our social media presence is very strong with more Twitter followers, even 10X more on Facebook and then a good following on Instagram. We reach a lot broader age group and types of people from fans, coaches, athletes, and media. We are constantly documented in local news articles both print and TV.

We have a model here that is much more friendly to long term sustainability. The GID threatens each year to close their doors, while we have never come close to it.

The Football Digest and Griddy's have no association with the GID from what I can tell. Before Tim Adams passed they had articles and interviews and that would have been a good comparison to IndianaMat. Now they are simply a messageboard. Their traffic isn't that much more than ours in all honesty, especially when you consider the popularity of each sport.

The GID actually has the same backend as we do, so with a little creativity they could easily have a very nice website that is an all inclusive website. In all honesty I probably hit up Harrell's website more often during the season than the GID because they offer a good amount of true content and not opinions.

Well, let's just hope you don't die! Good luck with the site.

Well obviously the IHSAA has little support for the sports it offers. They do an alright job hosting events, but not so great at marketing them imo. Their commercials/service announcements are nice but doesn't really sway me as much as interactions with other fans. Here, GID, and IBD plus others gives you a chance to meet aquaintances and meet new people to talk sports with. Plus it allows you to voice support and criticisms of aspects and be part of your community.

Edited by casualwrestlingfan

This site has been around for x number of years and I just heard about it this year (via the GID).

Who said they have to give up control?

If you couldn't find this site before this year, I'm not sure what to tell you. If you Google Indiana wrestling we are results 4, 5, and 6 behind the ISWA, IU wrestling, and the IHSAA. If you Google Indiana wrestling rankings we are the top two results.

If you couldn't find this site before this year, I'm not sure what to tell you. If you Google Indiana wrestling we are results 4, 5, and 6 behind the ISWA, IU wrestling, and the IHSAA. If you Google Indiana wrestling rankings we are the top two results.

But that's kind of what I'm getting at, I'm not THAT interested that I would seek it out. I'm a Penn fan more than a wrestling fan, but hearing about your site is an opportunity to engage casual fans of sports/HS athletics and turn them into devoted followers.

I also think you underestimate your impact. I can keep my yard in order, but my wife makes it look like something off the cover of Home & Garden. You add a lot of shine to your site via content, but if you took away the forum, I'd bet your numbers would drop dramatically. The GID kept growing even without the content driven by TA. So when people say "just a forum", they're really missing out on the key drivers for sites like these. The forum, and the community within, is the site.

Edited by LongBlackLine

From what I have seen the GID isn't growing. Many of the former good content creators are posting less or not at all. The impact we have on social media is also very hard to gauge for users without access to our analytics.

I feel like your debating the valuation of your company compared to the GID. I don't care about the appliances or granite counters in your house, I care about the land it's built on and what makes it valuable; location.

You're commenting on perceived quality of discussion, "content", activity as a sign of growth... growth is merely a quantifiable number... unique visitors/hits, registered/active users, and the resulting strain put on their servers.

The fact remains football draws superior views/numbers. Having been on these sites for twenty years now all of the content, discussions, debates seem rote to me. The community and the interest in the sport keep people engaged. I'm simply of the opinion that if your goal is to grow and promote the sport of wrestling in Indiana, you could do worse than attracting crossover interest from the GID, even if it's minimal.

Edited by LongBlackLine

Do you have their analytics? I'd be interested to see how close we are. Just going off their content they have about 1000 new topics over the last year. We have over 1000 just since last October.

We average 8-10 million pageviews a year, with over 200,000 unique visitors.

If you are a wrestling fan trying to find information about Indiana wrestling you will use google more than a football messageboard. We probably get more traffic from Steve Brook's Indy Star article mentions than we would from the GID.

Do you have their analytics? I'd be interested to see how close we are. Just going off their content they have about 1000 new topics over the last year. We have over 1000 just since last October.

We average 8-10 million pageviews a year, with over 200,000 unique visitors.

If you are a wrestling fan trying to find information about Indiana wrestling you will use google more than a football messageboard. We probably get more traffic from Steve Brook's Indy Star article mentions than we would from the GID.

I can ask.

Topics don't mean much. A lot of the topics on here are weekly camp "advertisements" or have 1-2, a small handful of responses. They're not real discussions. There are topics on the GID that go on for hundreds of pages and last a year before new ones are started for the sake of loading speeds.

The Indiana Football Digest was started by Tim Adams. Before he died he was also going to put out a Indiana Wrestling Digest. Tim was also a wrestler in high school. The first time I met him in person was at the wrestling coaches fall meeting. He was there to talk about doing the Wrestling Digest.

They did try a wrestling digest for one year. I still have a copy of it. The bad thing is about half the schools didn't submit information. They also had issues such as it didn't come out until like December or late November when everything was out of date.

Hence why our preseason magazine is the way it is, there is no way to feasibly get 300+ coaches to send information in.

I can ask.

Topics don't mean much. A lot of the topics on here are weekly camp "advertisements" or have 1-2, a small handful of responses. They're not real discussions. There are topics on the GID that go on for hundreds of pages and last a year before new ones are started for the sake of loading speeds.

I looked for NIC all conference poll and player of the year poll.  Could not find them.  LInk?

Okay that was mean i guess but here you can go make your own! I even did the leg work! just get this html hosted and boom done!

<html>
    <title>Yappy for indiana</title>
    <head></head>
    <body>
        <p><a href="http://www.indianamat.com">IndianaMat</a></p>
        <p><a href="http://www.gridirondigest.net">Football Place </a><p>
    </body>          
</html>

Okay that was mean i guess but here you can go make your own! I even did the leg work! just get this html hosted and boom done!

<html>
    <title>Yappy for indiana</title>
    <head></head>
    <body>
        <p><a href="http://www.indianamat.com">IndianaMat</a></p>
        <p><a href="http://www.gridirondigest.net">Football Place </a><p>
    </body>          
</html> 

Now we're talking!

I looked for NIC all conference poll and player of the year poll.  Could not find them.  LInk?

I am not going to go through every post looking for them but the NIC 2015 topic had over 300 posts in it. Also the NIC had a new topic each week to talk about the games that week. Some of those had over 100 posts.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.