Central Indiana Wrestling League (Youth)

Trying to get a head start on next year, especially with coaches and teams still checking these forums out.  I have been doing some research and have found other states (especially Pennsylvania) doing youth wrestling leagues in certain areas.  Growing up wrestling in Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey I remember traveling for Wednesday dual meets against other clubs.  We would run two mats.  One mat would be "Varsity" the other "JV".  We would have a regular season and then we would have a season ending "League Championship".  I think that this could be a great concept to start in central Indiana and am looking for teams that would be interested in getting this going.  I know next season is far away, but if something like this can happen it will need to start now.  I am open to any thought and suggestions.  I am looking to have a meeting with area coaches Tuesday May 17, @ 6:00 P.M. at Gallagher's 2( 37 and Southport Road).  If you interested in this idea and have ideas and thoughts to bring to the table that would be great.

I am open to comments on this thread as well.

Ryan Williams

Beech Grove Wrestling Club

bgwc2014@gmail.com

So this would be kind of like a conference league?  You would wrestle a dual at different schools on a Wednesday for 6 weeks or until every team wrestled each other, then have the championship after that? If you just did one dual through the week it would allow the JV kids to get some matches at the Wednesday dual as well.  Good idea!

That is the goal right now.  I am open to ideas, recommendations, advice as well.  Thoughts would be for the "varsity" tournament to be the number 1's of each team.  This would also open up a JV tournament possibility as well.  2 kids per team per weight for that.  I am full of ideas, if we could get teams down south we could split these up into north/south divisions, just a thought.

We are getting a good response on this and I want to make sure everyone has a chance to get in if interested.  Again we are meeting at Gallagher 2 off of Southport and 37 on Tuesday the 17th @ 6:00 p.m.  2310 W Southport Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46217.  I have now 10+ teams interested and think we should cap it for our first season.  It is looking like we may have a north and south conference as well.  Please do not hesitate to contact me.  

Ryan Williams

Edited by Ryanjw2153

We do something like this only we have an event on Friday nights. Typically this is done the night before the host high school has an event the next day so the setup is done by the high school kids.  I can send you the guidelines we use if you think it would help.  We have Jay County, Adams Central, South Adams, Bellmont, Norwell, Bluffton as well as an Ohio team, Parkway (Rockford, Ohio).  Each individual school will also draw kids from other clubs that are closer to the host school. Or clubs may come that don't even host their own event.

We call ours the Rival League.

I know of another league that has schools such as Yorktown, Pendleton Heights, New Castle, I think Carmel has been in it, called Pioneer League.

Just a reminder to all the teams that have contacted me or that are still interested.  We will be meeting at Gallagher's 2 on the Southside of Indianapolis tomorrow at 6:00 p.m.  This again is the first meeting to get ideas out.  Share some research that I have compiled and see if we can make this happen.  It is important to get someone there to represent your team if possible.  If you have any questions or concerns, please pass them along. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Ryan Williams

Thank you to all that attended last night, it was a great introduction to what we are trying to establish.  At this point we have 8 teams from the south and we have 11 teams from the north divisions that have expressed interest.  If you do not contact me I will not be able to confirm or share information through email.  We are keeping this open until the June meeting.  At this meeting we will finalize all teams entered and start to get items ironed out.  If you are still interested and would like to be involved please email or call with questions.  Looking forward to a great organization with a strong structure.

Thanks,

Ryan Williams

bgwc2014@gmail.com

Edited by Ryanjw2153

• 2 weeks later...

Next Meeting will be Wednesday, June 29 at 6:00 p.m. at Gallaghers 2, upstairs.

If you are planning on being apart of this, you will need to have at least one representative present.  This will be the meeting we decide who is in and who is out so we can continue to the next process of developing this league.  If you know of a team that might be interested please pass the message along.  Again I am working on some budget items at this point.  We will also need to vote in a board at this meeting.  If this is something you are interested please let me know.  We are going to need a President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer, and Technology Head.  We will be finalizing season length, rules, etc... Please let me know if you have any suggestions as always.,

Contact me if there is a question or issue.

Ryan Williams

bgwc2014@gmail.com

317-918-7897

Edited by Ryanjw2153

• 3 weeks later...

This is a final call for teams interested in joining this league for the 2016-17 season.  If you are wanting to be apart you MUST have representation at our June meeting.  This meeting is June 29th at 6:00 PM at Gallagher's 2.  This meeting will last a few hours and we have some key topics to discuss to start to get the ball rolling for the fall.  Please if there are any questions please let me know. If you can not attend and cannot send a team representative we will assume you are not in for this year.   The reason for this is to get a set list together now and start scheduling.  

Thank you all for understanding and look forward to a great meeting on Wednesday.

Ryan Williams

bgwc2014@gmail.com

317-918-7897 

JUNE MEETING

TONIGHT!! Gallagher's 2, on the south side of Indianapolis.  This is at 6:00 PM upstairs.  If you plan to be apart of this please be there.  We will be finalizing teams for our first season.  If you are not there or apart of the first meeting we will be moving forward.  Please bring your ideas and thoughts to this as it should be an amazing opportunity for growth in youth wrestling in Indiana.  

Questions please contact me.

Thanks,

Ryan Williams

bgwc2014@gmail.com

317-918-7897

• 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.