98 State Champions in 2017

Georgia High School Association approves to add yet another Classification to their States Wrestling Championships going from 6 to 7 classes.

What the largest Class Wrestling State ?

State Championships for everybody in Georgia !

Want a State Championship you move to Georgia. #ridiculous #waterdowncompetition

They should just have one class and one weight class. We need to find out who the TRUE CHAMPION of Georgia is.

I'll likely be voting for someone from The Compound in that discussion.

They should just have one class and one weight class. We need to find out who the TRUE CHAMPION of Georgia is.

Might be a better option than having 98 "state champs".

Edited by MD92

I wouldn't totally disagree. 

Six classes is about three or four too many...seven is even worse. Right now they have 364 schools. 

Here is their breakdown of school's per class

6A- 63
5A- 86
4A- 65
3A- 65
2A- 45
1A- 40

Looking at the article they were trying to get less classes and their state association decided to increase it.

Looking at the article they were trying to get less classes and their state association decided to increase it.

A lot like here in Indiana. I wonder if we went to ISHAA and tried requesting that we don't wrestle past ticket round at Semi-State and just use records to figure 1-4, if they would then vote on true wrestle backs at Semi-State.

Same with ISWA if we say they should have 3 qualifiers, then maybe they would go to 1 or allow ISWA sponsored events count.

Reverse physiology at its best.

As a Georgia native I can tell you that the move to seven classes has not been well received. A large portion of the community is in favor of a three or four class system but very few AD's are willing to support this notion. Many of the decisions that the GHSA makes have nothing to do with wrestling. With that being said, there is a lot of money to be made by having seven sets of state playoffs for all sports. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.