NWCA Duals schedule

rookie78

Great match between him and Parris. Not often that you see amazing athleticism and scrambling from underclassmen 220s. Parris wasn't backing down at all but man Schultz has some good defense.

Does anyone know what (if any) the weight difference was between the two?

Just a thought, Would Indiana Gold placed higher if they had The Lee Brothers & B. Lee , N. Walton bring Indiana best underclass men on one team ? It seemed to me Ohio, Illinois brought their best together.

Congrats to all the Indiana Teams, WE represented Indiana Wrestling well .

Thanks to Wabash Wrestling for hosting a great event .

Just a thought, Would Indiana Gold placed higher if they had The Lee Brothers & B. Lee , N. Walton bring Indiana best underclass men on one team ? It seemed to me Ohio, Illinois brought their best together.

Congrats to all the Indiana Teams, WE represented Indiana Wrestling well .

Thanks to Wabash Wrestling for hosting a great event .

Of course the answer is yes, assuming all other teams' rosters were unchanged, but there were a number of top underclassmen missing from Ohio and Illinois' teams too

Nathan Walton didn't want to make 170

Blake Mulkey and Brayton Lee wanted to be on the same team as their teammates(Walton, McCormick, and Mills before injury).

Brendan Black wanted to be with his teammate Triana

On top of that Walton, Lee, and Black all enjoyed their time as Gorillas last year. They also don't mind paying less and getting a lot more gear on top of that.

I guess when you treat people right they want to come back, it's what happens when you put out a superior product.

Nathan Walton didn't want to make 170

Blake Mulkey and Brayton Lee wanted to be on the same team as their teammates(Walton, McCormick, and Mills before injury).

Brendan Black wanted to be with his teammate Triana

On top of that Walton, Lee, and Black all enjoyed their time as Gorillas last year. They also don't mind paying less and getting a lot more gear on top of that.

I guess when you treat people right they want to come back, it's what happens when you put out a superior product.

I'm not a keyboard warrior so I won't defend this position all day with replies, but I would like to give my opinion. Posting on here is generally a lose-lose opportunity if you don't spend all day defending it, but here goes.

I think Indiana should make an effort to put the best team out there, especially since it's hosted in Indiana. Joe, back handing the efforts of those who put the Indiana Gold and Blue together is a bit counter productive. I think it's great that there were a lot of Indiana kids who had the opportunity to compete, but an effort in state should be made to get the best team together.

I understand Walton, if he can't make the wt then that's valid. Beyond that, put the best kids on one team.

Don't blame Joe or the kids...blame me if you want to blame someone...I coach the Gorillas team so its on me for wanting to coach my own kids.  

I would wrestle my high school team in it if possible and we would probably be pretty successful.

This isn't like Cadet/Jr Duals where only 2 teams per state are allowed...if it was this would be an 11 team 6 state tournament....the prestige just isn't there. If and Indiana team would have won this it wouldn't push us to some higher tier when it comes to national wrestling ability

This isn't like Cadet/Jr Duals where only 2 teams per state are allowed...if it was this would be an 11 team 6 state tournament....the prestige just isn't there. If and Indiana team would have won this it wouldn't push us to some higher tier when it comes to national wrestling ability

But it would sure be great if we (Indiana and NWCA) could find a way to help get it closer to that level of an event. Heck of an athletic showcase for college coaches if some more of the right talent and states were more inclined to make the trip.

Here are some points before I begin my rant. In 2011 there were 11 states here for the event, this year 6.

2011- 11 statesColorado, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia)
2012- 10 states(Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Virginia)
2013- 9 states(Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia)
2014- 7 states(Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio, Virginia)
2015- 7 states(Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio, Virginia)
2016- 6 states(Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, North Dakota, Ohio)

We have somehow lost Delaware(supposedly coming back next year), Minnesota, Florida, Pennsylvania, Texas, Georgia, Michigan, New Jersey, and Virginia, 

I will say that this is a very good event and I have never seen a reason that teams would say they won't come back. However, something is going on that this event is losing states. My best guess is that John Cook has lost contacts in those states and has not found any replacements.

Now onto the Gold and Blue teams and kids wanting to be a Gorilla instead. Not too long ago it was $300 for the Indiana teams for this event. The kids got a singlet, shorts, shirt, hotel and a little food for that money. For some odd reason the cost has dropped by $100 and the gear has gotten better with that. The Gorillas cost $150 and they get more gear and have to pay for their meals. I can't and won't force kids to go on the Gold or Blue teams. That is between them, their parents, and coach.

The reason I started doing this was because there were many hardluck kids I saw that could make up a pretty potent team. On top of that I don't mind giving back to the kids with gear and a good time. After I started getting those kids the word spread like wildfire and the top kids wanted to be on the team again. I have no reason to tell the kids no and force them to go to the other teams. I guess I'm in a position that I am forced to make it undesirable to be a Gorilla or not go to the event.

I'm not a keyboard warrior so I won't defend this position all day with replies, but I would like to give my opinion. Posting on here is generally a lose-lose opportunity if you don't spend all day defending it, but here goes.

I think Indiana should make an effort to put the best team out there, especially since it's hosted in Indiana. Joe, back handing the efforts of those who put the Indiana Gold and Blue together is a bit counter productive. I think it's great that there were a lot of Indiana kids who had the opportunity to compete, but an effort in state should be made to get the best team together.

I understand Walton, if he can't make the wt then that's valid. Beyond that, put the best kids on one team.

This problem isnt just at HS level, you see it on MS and elementary level too. So many factors in building teams...cost, coaches, teamsand the list goes on and on 

The iHSWCA does a great job putting this together for the kids. $200 for CK fight shorts, CK singlet, CK long sleeve, CK gear bag, 2 night hotel stay in a nice hotel, travel to and from and meals for 2 days, and entry fee is a pretty good deal. I think the kids are treated equally as well too. 

Personally, I want to see it go back to the old days.. 2 teams per state only! Then it means something to qualify for the national team. 

Why cant the Indiana Mat just sponsor the "official" Indiana teams? Come together as one. Show the powers to be how to get cost down and help them get the sweet gear. Hell... have them all wear gorilla gear. Are egos too big to come together? 

Our elementary kids are a great example. This weekend they almost won the toughest elementary dual tournament in the world. They had kids from all the big academies. And..... the ISWA got them some very cool swag.  

By the way... what keeps the coaches association from keeping teams out? I'm sure if they thought that their teams were being watered down or less than united, then they may go back to the two team deal (like mentioned above).

Edited by Mattyb

People can reach out and ask those questions, the Gorillas are fine and happy where they are. As far as the coaches association they don't run the tournament so no they have no say in team requirements. Seltzer's right it needs to be a two or one team per state limit to get that prestige in it that being said it is gonna tank for a couple of years it won't magically fix it. That being said I will keep doing what I do I had 4 kids get 6-7 Good matches in. Besides Brayton everyone got beat and got better. (Brayton is poop is what I am saying #headlockcity)

There could be a considerable amount of factors as to why states don't come. Maybe it's due to some missing 2-3 days of school, travel costs, many involved in spring sports, prom season, or that there are so many national tourneys these days that this event has lost its prestige. Perhaps location can play into it as well.

I don't have the answers, just giving some possible reasons why the drop in states have occurred

Are people that bent out of shape? The Gorillas weren't even the best team from Indiana.  Could the Gold team have been better with a few other guys....sure? But who cares. Give as many kids as possible a chance to wrestle. If they want to wrestle with their friends, let them.  Isn't this sport supposed to be fun?

People can reach out and ask those questions, the Gorillas are fine and happy where they are. As far as the coaches association they don't run the tournament so no they have no say in team requirements. Seltzer's right it needs to be a two or one team per state limit to get that prestige in it that being said it is gonna tank for a couple of years it won't magically fix it. That being said I will keep doing what I do I had 4 kids get 6-7 Good matches in. Besides Brayton everyone got beat and got better. (Brayton is poop is what I am saying #headlockcity)

Who runs it then???

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.