Saturday tourneys

Am I just getting paranoid or are numbers down for freestyle tourneys? I know it's early Thursday with two days still to register, so I might just be a little anxious. I am looking at just the number of junior division wrestlers for this weekend.

Center Grove: Folkstyle 4, Greco 1, Freestyle 1

Perry Meridian: Greco 14, Freestyle 18

Boonville: Folkstyle 1, Greco 2, Freestyle 2

Yorktown: Folkstyle 3, Greco 3, Freestyle 6

Obviously right now there are hardly any divisions with two kids in the same weight class. Is there typically a huge amount of people that sign up on the last day or two?

perry greco sign ups end tonight at 5 pm last I checked there were 66 total

and freestyle on Friday at 5pm last checked 99 total

Edited by Ds Dad

I see Center Grove cancelled its tourney this weekend due to low numbers. What happens in a situation like that if a wrestler was signed up and a tourney is cancelled. I would assume it wouldn't go toward their two tourney minimum to be able to wrestle freestyle state. That's not really fair to the ones who did sign up and were willing to wrestle.

I see Center Grove cancelled its tourney this weekend due to low numbers. What happens in a situation like that if a wrestler was signed up and a tourney is cancelled. I would assume it wouldn't go toward their two tourney minimum to be able to wrestle freestyle state. That's not really fair to the ones who did sign up and were willing to wrestle.

The ISWA's response will be "there are other tournaments." 

The people that registered for CG will get a refund for that tournament since it was cancelled.

From the ISWA website:

"Due to the low numbers registered for the Center Grove Dominator Series, the Center Grove Wrestling Club has decided to cancel this weekend’s tournament. The registration list is being sent to Perry Meridian Wrestling Club. They will add you to their tournament."

Actually Perry numbers where pretty good before they canceled. We will be adding the Center grove kids tonight at weigh-ins. So the numbers are still going up. Not sure why Center Grove made their tournament the same as us anyways. When we are only a few miles away.

Perry's numbers were not that good the last time I looked. On Wednesday there were 18 total in the junior division. Now there are 45. There are 2 at 120, 2 at 132, 2 at 145, 1 at 152, 3 at 195 and 2 at heavy. The other classes (nothing below 120 at all), has 5 or 6. I was hoping Yorktown would pick up, but it doesn't look like that has happened.

I'm not complaining about the tourneys in general, I just wish more kids were going to them. It would be great to get several matches in.

Freestyle is dying in Indiana. I don't have the answer but each year tends to get worse w numbers. When my oldest (whose now in college) was wrestling freestyle at the fair grounds, that was a huge tournament. In fact, it was THE tournament to be at. I was just looking at some of his brackets that had 55-65 kids in it. The local tournaments would have 10-15 kids in every bracket, for the most part. Crazy bad how things have changed.

Yorktown has extended registration until 9pm tonight. We are having the tournament no matter what and will get creative to get kids matches.

We are also going to allow walk in registrations until 8:15 tomorrow morning.  Weigh-ins close at 8:30.

Folkstyle registration is now open until 9:00 p.m. on Saturday.

Edited by ytownmom

We took 2 kids to Yorktown today the workers there were awesome . With a little creativity we were able to get one kid 5 matches and the other kid 3. Thank you Yorktown very well ran tournament and the extra matches made it well worth the drive from Fort Wayne .

I agree, Yorktown was ran very well. Everyone was so friendly and accommodating. There weren't great numbers, but kids were able to get a few extra matches if they wanted. And, I found out, if ever in Yorktown stop by The Wedge for the greatest grilled cheese sandwiches you'll ever eat.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.