Indiana Wrestlers at the Olympic Trials

Y2CJ41

Dake scores first, Taylor gets 1 to tie at 1-1 at the break. Dake is such a stud. Gets a TD, 90 secs left. 3-1...near Taylor TD, Dake pushes him out. 4-1. Dake repelling everything thrown at him by Taylor thus far. Taylor gets a couple of pushouts, Dake wins 4-3....outstanding wrestling

On Mat 2, Forrest Mollinari is doing something I didn't think was possible. She's in the semis at 75kg...but she competed and didn't place yesterday at 69kg!!! Never in my life have I heard of this.

Dake vs. Cox in the finals. Dake is bloody as hell and his face is extremely swollen. Looks like he was in a fistfight.

Varner and Gadson up now. 2 Iowa State NCAA champs

Megaludis and Garrett in a dogfight 2-2 1st period

Varner strikes first, being brutal with his paws. They are each beating the crap out of the other's head. Ref steps in and warns. Break over, Varner gets the pushout, leads 4-0

Garrett leads 5-2 at the break

Taylor Walsh up against Michael Brant. Hope Walsh shows up this match. Heard from a source that Walsh decided about 10 or so days ago that he was even going to compete, which is slightly disappointing. Big Headlock toss for Walsh, gets counterd by Brant...4-2 Walsh leads. Nice work by Taylor.

Walsh dominates, wins by tech 12-3

Varner just too strong for Gadson....wins it 4-0. Pretty rough match

Victoria Francis wins 2-2 by criteria over Niaunia Hill. Will compete in the finals

Garrett beats Megaludis 5-4, who now looks like a Civil War veteran with his many bandages and blood

Bergman and Kilgore up now. Bergman strikes first, leads 2-0. Leads 3-2, then Kilgore adds a late TD to take a 4-3 lead. Then another TD, Kilgore wins 6-3, will face Varner for the right to face Snyder.

Sarah Hildebrandt manages to win her consis bout 8-0, even with a bad knee. Very impressive.

Speiller and Haight have dominated their matches today. Winner gets Bisek and could give him some trouble.

Richard Perry locks up a cradle and pins Clayton Foster

Speiller with a big toss of Haight, gets 4 points, leads 4-0. Gets a pushout point. Leads 5-0

Hildebrandt will face Amy Fearnside for a shot at Michaela Hutchison

Taylor Walsh will face Dillon Cowan next

Herbert gets a couple of pushouts of Tyler Caldwell, leads 2-0 heading into the break.

Speiller still up 5-0. 

Herbert gets a TD, but Caldwell reverses.   4-2 Herbert...Herbert wins 4-3...here we go!!

Speiller leads 7-0 over the always tough Haight. Wins and will face Bisek. Very capable of upsetting the world class Bisek.

Howe and Marable coming up after this Herbert match. While the winner will be a significant underdog against Burroughs, a lot of crazy things can happen...hoping Howe beats Marable and some crazy sh*t goes down against Burroughs. Don't want to put the cart in front of the horse though.

Surber and Francis competing to face. Francis scores first, leads 1-0. Big 4 point move gives Francis 5-2 lead.

Howe and Marable locking up. Unlike Dieringer, it appears Marable isn't wild about these heavy ties. Howe snaps Marable hard and somehow stuns him temporarily. Just the juggernaut being the juggernaut.

Pushout for Marable. Howe gets one of his own to tie it up 1-1 at the break.

Francis and Surber winner faces Gray for the Olympic spot. 6-2 advantage for Francis

Howe and Marable each warned for passivity. Howe nearly completed a nice single leg. Marable on the shotclock....doesn't get it. Howe leads 2-1...1:30 left.

NATO with a big move, takes a 4-3 lead. Nico challenges...it's changed to a one pointer. 3-1 Megaludis leads. Pushout by NATO 3-2

Mark Hall and Massa up but scoreless so far. TD Hall,leads 2-0, TD Massa, reversal Hall...3-2 Hall leads

Manville up 4-0 on Tarrence Williams in Greco at 75kg

Late TD by Tomasello wins it 4-3 over Megaludis

Manville, the HSer, wins by tech

Wow, Massa throwing Hall all over the mat, takes an 8-7 lead

Taylor Walsh wins by fall over Cory Hope. Huge opening match for the former IU standout

9-7 Massa leads Hall. Hall with a huge toss from an inside trip.  Massa deep on Hall's legs, Hall somehow swivels around, gets the TD himself. Now leads Massa 13-9. Helluva match here. 20 secs left. Massa with a a TD, looks for the turn, can't get it. Hall wins a tough match, 13-11 over Massa

The Penn State guys keeping it going. Vallimont leading Dombrovskiy 3-0, 1 minute left

Vallimont wins an impressive opener, 5-0 over Dombrovskiy

J'Den Cox down to Clayton Foster 5-3 at the break. Cox was down 5-1, got behind Foster, took about 20 seconds to break Foster's tripod for the 2. Back from the break, Cox with a quick TD, ties it 5-5 and gains criteria advantage

Godley and Levalley scoreless. Godley with a pushout. Both are getting very physical with the hands

Former Illinois prep wrestler Dillan Cowan beats Bleau in Greco 4-2

Longendyke techs Griggs in big boy Greco action.

Maroulis with 2 quick TDs, opens up a quick lead against Powell

Foster slides around Cox, gets 2, takes a 7-5 lead. A TD could win it for Cox...HE GETS IT!!! wins 7-7. Great match for the Mizzou junior

Levalley with a TD, takes a 2-1 lead

Maroulis by tech, meaning Hildebrandt is up against Chessin

Levalley opens up a 6-4 lead....wins over Godley 6-3

Ruth with a pushout over the stocky Winn...1-0, challenge comes out for Winn's corner, for some strange reason.

Sarah comes out aggressive, using forceful snaps and hands to the head. Chessin dodging deftly. Chessin put on the shotclock. Sarah gets a TD on Chessin's shotclock to lead 2-0. Sarah looking very physically tough today. Nice quickness for Chessin allows her to slough off of a Hildebrandt shot and slide by for 2...we're tied 2-2 at the break. Criteria with Chessin for now

Winn loses the challenge, now trails 2-0 against Ruth. Ruth TD, makes it 4-0. Ruth really opening up now, leads 8-0...now 10-0 for the tech win

Trotman up 2-0 with a double leg landing out of bounds. Pushout for Reader makes it 2-1

Sharon Jacobson up 8-1 over Jessica Medina...Now 8-3, under a minute left

Wily old vet Jacobson wins 8-3 over Medina

Godley and Reader tied at 4-4. TD for Reader, leads 6-4

Perry and Caldwell up now. They exchange TDs and Caldwell gets a reversal. TD for Perry near the edge makes it 4-3 Perry leads.

Looked like Hildebrandt had the TD, no score given. Still 2-2. Still seems to be the aggressor. Gets an upper body lock, whips Chessin down, exposes her back for two.....looking for more, gets 2 more, up 8-2, looking for the fall...back to neutral. Wow, looks like Sarah hurt her knee. Still wrestling, but, damn, not good for the day ahead.

Fulp Allen wins by tech

Hildebrandt dominant in period 2. wins 10-2. She limps off the platform. Not good. Coach Snyder congratulates her, pretty awesome he's here.

Reader up 8-6 now, but Trotman has an active challenge....Wow, he won the challenge, now leads 8-6. Incredible change of events....pushout makes it 9-6...Trotman beats Reader in a thriller

Perry up 9-4 on Caldwell in period 2

Fulp-Allen awaits Hildebrandt next round. With a bum knee....ouch

Perry 10-4 over Caldwell. Very impressive.

Micah Burak and Enock Francois scoreless in period 1

Gadson and Kleinschmidt up on mat 3

Cheney Haight is next for Taylor Walsh

Mark Hall is next for Andrew Howe

Gadson slides by Kleinschmidt, takes a 2-0 lead

Francois leads Burak 1-0

In women's action, Deanna Betterman up 3-0 late in her match against Samantha Klingel

Carlene Sluberski wins by tech over Amy Fearnside

I understand the mistake as both are good coaches and Snyder used to be from our crosstown rival, but it was Brad Harper to took the trip and and was at Sarah Hildebrandt's corner.  Just wanted to give the credit to who you intended.

Still tying up. Howe working the head. Front headlock to standard tie. I"m worried he's going to get put on the shotclock. Now it's moot. There's only a few seconds left...HOWE WINS!!!! will get the "reward" of facing Burroughs tonight. Great job today by Andrew. Such a tough guy.

Francis will face Gray tonight.

Varner and Kilgore up for the right to face Snyder tonight

I understand the mistake as both are good coaches and Snyder used to be from our crosstown rival, but it was Brad Harper to took the trip and and was at Sarah Hildebrandt's corner.  Just wanted to give the credit to who you intended.

LOL...sorry, I do know the difference, but it just gets to be a little bit of sensory overload with 4 mats constantly going and talking with media members in all directions. I enjoy it, but sometimes it fries my brain. Absolutely no offense intended. Brad Harper is a helluva guy. Love how he supports his wrestlers. Thanks for the correction and sorry for the mistake.

It's probably known by anyone reading this, but just in case....Angel defaulted out of the tourney. Another disappointing OTT for an amazing wrestler. I didn't think he wrestled a bad match at all, just got outscored.

Varner just too tough to score on. Leads Kilgore 4-0..now 6-0. Only Snyder, among Americans anyway, seems to be able to penetrate that heavy defense of Varner. Still has that nifty ankle pick too.

they're finishing the true 3rd matches at 97k and 74kg

Kilgore leads Burak 3-2 in the 2nd

Dieringer and Marable tied 1-1, around a minute left in match. Should be fireworks...'Ringer on the shotclock....gets the pushout. This kid is pretty special

Dieringer and Kilgore both make the national team with 3rd place finishes

Ok, ladies and germs....Here's the big boy stuff.

Dake and Cox on Mat 2. Scoreless thru 90 secs. Dake scores first as Cox can't score on the shot clock

Augello and Anthony on Mat 3. Augello knocked off the top seed and favorite Lampe. Scoreless thru 2 mins

First point to Augello...and another on the pushout..2-0. Anthony is a special athlete...She needs to use that quick twitch...and she does with a nice low single...followed by a gutwrench....4-2

Dake unable to score on his shotclock either, 1-1....heckuva defensive match. Criteria with Cox right now

Huge throw by Augello makes it 6-4 in her favor.

Cox is gaining legend status right in front of my eyes. Wins 8-1. I can't even type while he's using his hips to fight off nice Dake shots and flurries. This guy is insane

Big Robbie Smith and Adam Coon up now at 130kg Greco

Ramos and Dennis up now in an all-Hawkeye matchup...YUCK! The defensive wiz in Ramos vs. the non-stop in your face action of Dennis. Dennis mentioned that he can't remember the last time these two have gone live at each other....it's been quite a while

Smith was loading up for a big throw, Coon wisely stepped out to give up the 1. Smith tosses Coon out of bounds around 1 minute. Another pushout....4-0 1:15 to go

Ramos on the shotclock...no dice. Dennis leads 1-0. Same score at the break. Dennis scores another on the shotclock violation by Ramos. Ramos scores..2-1

Dennis wins 2-1

Smith wins the first of 3

adeline Gray and Victoria Francis up on mat 2. Gray the big favorite

Mat 3 had Bisek and Speiller. Bisek has the international credentials, but Speiller has the build of a superhuman

Before you can say 'holy leglace', Gray is up 8-0 on Francis, with a TD, exposure, a couple of ankle laces and then adds a pushout....leads 9-0. TD Gray, 11-0

Bisek takes  Speiller down and gutwrenches him twice. 6-0 into the break. Speiller will need to regroup.

Speiller gets 2. cuts it to 6-2. 1 minute left...can't get through Bisek's defense...Bisek wins 6-2. One win away from Rio for Bisek

Snyder and Varner and Maroulis/Conder

Snyder is probably a slight favorite over Varner, depending on who you ask

Maroulis a sizeable favorite over Conder

Varner gets his contact knocked out, as seems to happen often for some reason

Maroulis up 5-0 quickly...putting it to Conder. 8-0 Maroulis at the break

Snyder with a nice TD instead of the pushout, leads 2-0. Varner answers with a very quick TD of his own. 2-2...nice gutwrench...4-2 at the break.

Maroulis dominant in a 10-0 drubbing of the previously dominant Conder

Varner wins it 4-4 on criteria (2 two-point moves for Varner)

Howe gets Burroughs now...here they go. Howe trying to work the head and neck, as he likes to do

Howe gets a passivity warning. Shotclock for Howe...TD for Burroughs on a quick single. Couple of leglaces and a caution for 'putting his head out of bounds to stop the action'...makes it 7-0. Howe not a quitter, gets a 2 of his own, 7-2

9-3 Burroughs beats Howe. Howe kept battling the whole time

Dake and Cox up now. Cox working the ties...gets a double leg. Dake fights it from his seat. Finally, 2 awarded to Cox (nothing changed !!!), Dake, throws him over his own body, Cox, comes back with a reversal...3-2 now, Cox leads. 45 seconds left. Cox swipes him in the face, knocks out Dake's contact. Dake now slaps Cox in the eye. Getting chippy out there....Cox is 1 period away from Rio. Leads 3-2 at the break

Passivity on Dake. first warning. 3-2, 1:30 left

Dake keeps fighting on the edge, gets 2...and then a pushout...wins 5-3....these guys are unbelievable

Robbie Smith and Adam Coon on Mat 2. Geez Lousise. Flying throw for Smith....5 points. Crowd goes apesh*t. 5-0 Smith leads. Coon pushed out. 6-0...2 point caution confirmed...7-0...Smith just steam-rolling Coon. Smith countered by Coon, so only 2 points for the UM HWT, despite putting Smith on his back

Augello and Anthony on Mat 3. Anthony with a quick TD and and another and a gut wrench...8-0 Anthony boat-racing Augello this match

7-2 Smith 1:45 away from a title. Smith wins, going to Rio

Anthony leads 8-2. Augello got a TD on the edge of the mat. Looked almost like a 50/50, but they gave it to Augello. Headlock toss for Anthony makes it 10-2...looked like exposure, but ref says no. Augello gets another TD and 2 exposure, but Anthony wins 11-6...we will go to a third and final match, and it's anyone's ballgame

Snyder up 1-0 on a shotclock penalty against Varner

Pushout for Snyder....2-0

2-0 at the break...Snyder has to have it

Snyder with a quick 2 after the break....4-0, 2:30 left. Snyder has some breathing room

1 minute left....Snyder in the driver's seat

Snyder wins it 4-0....we will have a rubber match

Bisek and Speiller up again. Bisek in full control their first match. Howe coming up soon

Speiller does a nice job of avoiding Bisek's attack. Another passivity against Speiller. He's in par terre. Beautiful gut by Bisek...2-0

another 2 for Bisek...1 period away from Rio for the pushbroom

Bisek in par terre, but Speiller unable to do anything with it....still 4-0. As good as Speiller was all day, he can't do much of anything vs. Bisek, and with good reason. The unassuming Bisek is in the handful of best wrestlers in the world at his weight. Bisek wins!

JB is starting to develop some legitimate turns. They may not always get the top level guys, his lace look good enough to at least help him end his early round matches a little quicker in Rio.

JB has a beautiful single too, to go with his all-world blast double.

Cox up 2-0 at the break. 2:45 away from a shocking win. Dake with a nice TD on the edge, Cox keeps fighting gets 1 for reversal..3-2

Jesus, Dake had Cox's leg elevated and pushed him into the photographers....4-3...COX WINS!!!! Unbelievable what a run this guy has had this year.

Augello continues to surprise. Leads Anthony 4-0 at the break. Anthony with a big lift, but Augello counters when they hit the ground. 6-2, 1 minute to go. Late takedown, 8-2...Augello is an Olympian, in impressive fashion, beating the top 2 seeds en route to the title. 8-2 final

Varner and Snyder about to close things out. Could go either way

Every point will be crucial here. They are each stingy defensively, especially Varner.

Snyder with a slick 2. 2-0 Snyder leaves. 3-0 after a Snyder pushout

Snyder gets pushed out . Snyder wins! Snyder wins....6-1...he's now an Olympian

See ya back in Indiana

Thanks for reading, matt. I know certain portions were much better than some others and I get a weird temporary ADD where I visually roam from mat to mat instead of focusing on one mat, but I appreciate you and anyone else who took the time and energy to read it. Can't wait til indiana gets its first modern Olympian, male or female

Is GrecoRef okay???

And man Ramos lit into Tom Brands in post match presser.

I was wondering about Tom myself. Any word?

Tony seemed to be a little bit  emotional, I'm wondering if he will feel the same after a few days to think about it. 

Also, Dake seemed to me at least a little whiny throughout the tournament.

I think overall this trials was on one of the best world/Olympic trials that I can remember. 

I think there will be a great deal of discussion for years to come regarding Dake vs. Cox third match.

Just consider it from the Cornell coach's perspective.  You have Garrett lose to Ramos on a caution+1 for fleeing in the closing seconds.  Then you have Dake lose to Cox who doesn't get called for fleeing in the closing seconds. 

That is quite tough to explain to your wrestlers, present and future.  As a coach, you are basically being put in the position to say, "Guys, we really don't know what the officials will or will not call."  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.