130kg Robby Smith

Women's Freestyle

48kg Alyssa Lampe

53kg Helen Maroulis

58kg Leigh Jaynes-Provisor

63kg Erin Clodgo

68kg Elena Pirozhkova

75kg Adeline Gray

Gonna be some very interesting weights in all divisions. A lot of room for upsets, the only locks I see are Burroughs, Snyder, Mango, Smith, Lampe, Maroulis, Pirozhkova, and Gray.

Edited by gogoplata89

Don't count out Hildebrandt at 53k. Helen has yet to make scratch weight this year. and she would have to make it at least one more time to qualify 53k for the Olympics. Helen may end up at 58k, which leads the door wide open for Hildebrandt at 53k. She has beaten everyone else at that weight in the last couple of years. 

Men's Freestyle

65kg James Green

Unfortunately, he's been a shell of the beast we saw at 154 pounds at worlds when he's cut down twice to 143.  He lost to a couple guys that would never beat Metcalf, Oliver, Stieber, etc....Hump's probably our #5 and I'd take him over Green based on Green's two 65kg performances

Said every fan before every match these two have ever wrestled.

Have they wrestled at 86kg yet? Seems like Taylor has the frame to add that weight compared to Dake. Does one or both drop back down after Rio if Burroughs hangs it up?

Have they wrestled at 86kg yet? Seems like Taylor has the frame to add that weight compared to Dake. Does one or both drop back down after Rio if Burroughs hangs it up?

I think they did at the open in Deecember. More of the same, if I'm not mistaken.

He means your picks are insane

Other than Gwiz, and maybe Stieber, I'm not sure why.

Dennis comes back after 4-5 years out of nowhere, gets better every time we see him, trains in the same room as Ramos along with two of the best lightweights in US history.

Stieber gets bigger and better every time we see him and I just like him.

Burroughs, yeah.

Dake, again, yeah. I'm not convinced 9th time's a charm for Taylor.

Varner, defending Olympic champ, will be pulling out all the stops one last time before handing it over to Snyder for good.

Gwiz, i just like him and Dlagnev's been hurt.

Nothing insane about any of that.

I don't think those picks are too radical, either. Very seldom do all the chalk favorites win at each and every weight, and there are circumstances that make each pick possible. This event is so fascinating because there are so many great wrestlers, each with his or her own style and matchup preferences. I would bet the farm that there will be more than one "surprising" winner next weekend

Don't count out Hildebrandt at 53k. Helen has yet to make scratch weight this year. and she would have to make it at least one more time to qualify 53k for the Olympics. Helen may end up at 58k, which leads the door wide open for Hildebrandt at 53k. She has beaten everyone else at that weight in the last couple of years. 

I'm definitely not counting her out, and would love to see an Indiana wrestler crack the lineup. Helen is a world champ for a reason.

Unfortunately, he's been a shell of the beast we saw at 154 pounds at worlds when he's cut down twice to 143.  He lost to a couple guys that would never beat Metcalf, Oliver, Stieber, etc....Hump's probably our #5 and I'd take him over Green based on Green's two 65kg performances

I agree with you, I'm hoping he can find a way to adjust to the weight difference. I think Green is our best chance to medal besides Stieber or maybe Oliver. I've been a big Metcalf fan, and have rooted for him only to be disappointed for several years. I think Brent's time is up.

Freestyle thoughts:

57: 
Favorite: Ramos
Plain and simply, he doesn’t lose to American competition.  But he’s defensive on the world level and has shown in his couple of years of big tournaments that his ceiling isn’t so high.  I hope someone unseats him and gives us a real shot at a medal.
For the sake of our medal chances…who I’d like to see win: Nahshon Garrett (or Micic).  
As an Indiana homer, I’d obviously love to see Micic get through the qualifier this weekend and make a run at OTTs.  Realistically, he can score on anyone and beat anyone—but he probably won’t be able to string together the wins he’ll need against top guys.  His defense and gas tank haven’t quite been to that level yet.  If Garrett wins, that would mean he’s made significant strides forward in freestyle and he’s the only one from the current crop that I think could have the world-level offense necessary to make a run at a medal at this weight.

65:
Favorite: Metcalf
Until someone beats Metcalf, he’s in the same situation as Ramos—the clear favorite who simply never loses to domestic competition.  But he’s had all the chances in world at top tournaments and shown his defensive style can’t string together 3 or 4 wins to medal against this ultra-athletic division.
For the sake of our medal chances…who I’d like to see win: Stieber or Green or Pico.  
If Stieber wins, it would mean he’s finally solved the Metcalf and Oliver defensive puzzles.  Right now, he’s the only one we’ve got that can score big points toe-to-toe with top world guys for several matches.  The question is always whether he can defend a little.  If Green wins, it means he’s finally settled into this weight and his speed and tenacity will have translated from his medal-winning level at 70kg down to the lower weight.  If Pico wins, it means he’s taken that next step forward and we’ll have a genuine prodigy medal threat to cheer for.  I also obviously hope Hump has a nice last go-round at the trials.  A lot would have to have evolved with his size and endurance for him to make a genuine run at qualifying at this weight though.

74:
Favorite: Burroughs
For the sake of our medal chances…who I’d like to see win: Burroughs
Ok, obviously, I’d like to see Howe make it to the Olympics.  But if we’re being objective, Howe would be a medal contender while Burroughs will be taking his next step toward being one of the greatest of all time.

86:
Favorite: Herbert
Yet another national team mainstay that doesn’t lose domestically.  He’s had more success than Ramos or Metcalf, but his best days are behind him and I’ll be hoping someone unseats him and signals we’ve got a better shot at a medal than what Herbert probably offers at this point.
For the sake of our medal chances…who I’d like to see win: Taylor or Richard Perry
Yes, Herbert is the favorite.  Yes, Dake always beats Taylor.  But…if Taylor would get through this deep division at the trials, it would mean his metamorphosis into a bigger guy will be complete and he’s ready to genuinely challenge for big things on the world stage.  He’s still ultra-talented and simply fits the weight class much, much better than Dake.  Dake’s gotten handled by second tier competition both times he’s laced up at 86 outside our borders and just looked outmanned both times.  He might have Taylor’s number, but he does not belong in this weight class at the top level.  I throw Richard Perry in here too because he’s beaten some top-notch competition when he doesn’t have to face our domestic lineup.  At his last tournament, he beat the world bronze medalist who clobbered Herbert and the next round beat a guy who clobbered Dake just hours earlier.  He’s a MAN at this weight and would be a more interesting wildcard than Herbert or anyone else from the old guard.

97:
Favorite: Snyder
For the sake of our medal chances…who I’d like to see win: Snyder
Varner will throw everything at the kid, but the kid has all the upside in the world and is guaranteed a draw into the 8-man half of the 19-man Olympic bracket with the new UWW bracketing rules.  This gives him a huge leg up in following up his world gold medal with an Olympic medal.

125:
Favorite: Dlagnev
For the sake of our medal chances…who I’d like to see win: Dlagnev
Burroughs, the Russian man-child Sadulaev at 86, and Taha Akgul of Turkey at this weight are the only truly clear favorites at the Olympics.  Other than Akgul, Dlagnev has beaten every other nation’s top guy or guys.  This is a loaded division where anything can happen among about 8 top guys—but Dlagnev is right there.  To this point, Rey and the heir apparent Gwiz have not shown they can deal with the unreal gorillas at this weight.  Dlagnev losing at the trials would only signal that his neck injury didn’t fully heal.  He is our only true medal hope here in my opinion.

Freestyle thoughts:

57: 
Favorite: Ramos
Plain and simply, he doesn’t lose to American competition.  But he’s defensive on the world level and has shown in his couple of years of big tournaments that his ceiling isn’t so high.  I hope someone unseats him and gives us a real shot at a medal.
For the sake of our medal chances…who I’d like to see win: Nahshon Garrett (or Micic).  
As an Indiana homer, I’d obviously love to see Micic get through the qualifier this weekend and make a run at OTTs.  Realistically, he can score on anyone and beat anyone—but he probably won’t be able to string together the wins he’ll need against top guys.  His defense and gas tank haven’t quite been to that level yet.  If Garrett wins, that would mean he’s made significant strides forward in freestyle and he’s the only one from the current crop that I think could have the world-level offense necessary to make a run at a medal at this weight.

65:
Favorite: Metcalf
Until someone beats Metcalf, he’s in the same situation as Ramos—the clear favorite who simply never loses to domestic competition.  But he’s had all the chances in world at top tournaments and shown his defensive style can’t string together 3 or 4 wins to medal against this ultra-athletic division.
For the sake of our medal chances…who I’d like to see win: Stieber or Green or Pico.  
If Stieber wins, it would mean he’s finally solved the Metcalf and Oliver defensive puzzles.  Right now, he’s the only one we’ve got that can score big points toe-to-toe with top world guys for several matches.  The question is always whether he can defend a little.  If Green wins, it means he’s finally settled into this weight and his speed and tenacity will have translated from his medal-winning level at 70kg down to the lower weight.  If Pico wins, it means he’s taken that next step forward and we’ll have a genuine prodigy medal threat to cheer for.  I also obviously hope Hump has a nice last go-round at the trials.  A lot would have to have evolved with his size and endurance for him to make a genuine run at qualifying at this weight though.

74:
Favorite: Burroughs
For the sake of our medal chances…who I’d like to see win: Burroughs
Ok, obviously, I’d like to see Howe make it to the Olympics.  But if we’re being objective, Howe would be a medal contender while Burroughs will be taking his next step toward being one of the greatest of all time.

86:
Favorite: Herbert
Yet another national team mainstay that doesn’t lose domestically.  He’s had more success than Ramos or Metcalf, but his best days are behind him and I’ll be hoping someone unseats him and signals we’ve got a better shot at a medal than what Herbert probably offers at this point.
For the sake of our medal chances…who I’d like to see win: Taylor or Richard Perry
Yes, Herbert is the favorite.  Yes, Dake always beats Taylor.  But…if Taylor would get through this deep division at the trials, it would mean his metamorphosis into a bigger guy will be complete and he’s ready to genuinely challenge for big things on the world stage.  He’s still ultra-talented and simply fits the weight class much, much better than Dake.  Dake’s gotten handled by second tier competition both times he’s laced up at 86 outside our borders and just looked outmanned both times.  He might have Taylor’s number, but he does not belong in this weight class at the top level.  I throw Richard Perry in here too because he’s beaten some top-notch competition when he doesn’t have to face our domestic lineup.  At his last tournament, he beat the world bronze medalist who clobbered Herbert and the next round beat a guy who clobbered Dake just hours earlier.  He’s a MAN at this weight and would be a more interesting wildcard than Herbert or anyone else from the old guard.

97:
Favorite: Snyder
For the sake of our medal chances…who I’d like to see win: Snyder
Varner will throw everything at the kid, but the kid has all the upside in the world and is guaranteed a draw into the 8-man half of the 19-man Olympic bracket with the new UWW bracketing rules.  This gives him a huge leg up in following up his world gold medal with an Olympic medal.

125:
Favorite: Dlagnev
For the sake of our medal chances…who I’d like to see win: Dlagnev
Burroughs, the Russian man-child Sadulaev at 86, and Taha Akgul of Turkey at this weight are the only truly clear favorites at the Olympics.  Other than Akgul, Dlagnev has beaten every other nation’s top guy or guys.  This is a loaded division where anything can happen among about 8 top guys—but Dlagnev is right there.  To this point, Rey and the heir apparent Gwiz have not shown they can deal with the unreal gorillas at this weight.  Dlagnev losing at the trials would only signal that his neck injury didn’t fully heal.  He is our only true medal hope here in my opinion.

Maligned, what do you think about  J'Den Cox' chances at 86?

Maligned, what do you think about  J'Den Cox' chances at 86?

He'll be interesting to watch, but I think he lessens the advantages of his physical gifts by sucking down and I don't think he's got world class offense. I think what he's shown at 97 suggests some promise at that division, but I understand taking your chances at a weight that doesn't have a world champ and an Olympic champ. I don't think anyone will dominate him, but I'd have a hard time believing Herbert, Ruth, and Taylor, for example, won't find ways to beat him somewhat comfortably.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.