Indiana Results from the 2016 Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic

Y2CJ41

I'm not sure where to begin when talking about this event. When I started pursing this event over a year ago I knew about the prestige of it. When I started getting the details I was even more impressed...BUT after actually experiencing it...I'm at a loss for words. Even though we came up short on the team score I was still grinning ear to ear from everything going on. This event was first class from the beginning, the kids got a boat load of gear on top of being treated like royalty. We had an awesome recognition banquet with great speakers on Friday night. Saturday after a buffet breakfast we went on a tour of Pittsburgh that included lunch on the river while touring on a boat. 

Then came the wrestling! What an electric and exciting atmosphere to wrestle in. You have 3000 fans there watching you wrestle and to add a little sugar to it we were the enemy in hostile territory. The kid's wrestled their BUTTS off and I give them a ton of credit. We fought, we battled, we got to wrestle on the biggest stage possible. Guys from Flo are raving about our guys, the PWC Committee members are talking about all our kids about how great they are. I'm like a proud poppa right now. Special shout outs to Owen Doster and Drew Hughes who stepped up and wrestled twice tonight. Big props to both Cael McCormick and Nick Fox who stepped up to battle up a weight class AND on super short notice. Thanks to all our parents and coaches who got their kids here and committed to this event on Easter weekend. Thanks to Coach P, Coach Vega, and Coach Cooper for helping out while I handled the organization of the event.

This was a great event for Indiana wrestling and I can tell you the coolest part...they are telling me to start getting ready to bring another team back soon!

WPIAL 27 Indiana 18
132: Mike Heinl (Shaler) decision Owen Doster (New Haven, Ind.) 6-4
170: No. 6 Drew Hughes (Lowell, Ind.) pin Anthony Walsh (Bethlehem Center) 1st minute
113: Aaron Burkett (Chestnut Ridge) decision Geoffrey Davis (Fort Wayne Wayne, Ind.) 2-0, overtime
120: Ethan McCoy (Greater Latrobe) decision Drew Hildebrandt (Penn, Ind.) 7-4
126: Chris Eddins (Greensburg Salem) decision Gaige Torres (Portage, Ind.) 6-3
138: Shawn Wilson (Waynesburg) decision Evan Eldred (Westfield, Ind.) 8-3
145: Damon Greenwald (Burrell) decision Jordan Vaughn (Franklin Central, Ind.) 5-4
152: Steven Lawrence (Portage, Ind.) pin Derek Verkleeren (Belle Vernon Area) 4:29
160: Mitch Hartman (Belle Vernon Area) decision Cael McCormick (Yorktown, Ind.) 2-1
182: No. 2 Blake Rypel (Indianapolis Cathedral, Ind.) decision Milton Kobaly (Belle Vernon Area) 10-5
195: Jake Kleimola (Lake Central, Ind.) decision No. 11 Drew Phipps (Norwin) 4-3
220: Michael McAleavy (Peters Township) decision Nick Fox (Carmel, Ind.) 2-1
285: Hayden Rice (Norwin) decision Sean Galligar (Columbus East, Ind.) 2-1

Most Outstanding Wrestler: Drew Hughes

United States 25 Pennsylvania 20

285: No. 2 Shawn Streck (Merrillville, Ind.) decision No. 10 Jake Beistel (Southmoreland) 8-4
132: No. 2 (at 138) Luke Pletcher (Greater Latrobe) technical fall Owen Doster (New Haven, Ind.) 23-8
160: No. 6 (at 170) Drew Hughes (Lowell, Ind.) decision No. 4 Jake Wentzel (South Park) 6-0

Turning Point award(Match that clinches the dual): Drew Hughes

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.