Five Weekends to Get Two Tournaments In

Y2CJ41

I'm held off long enough commenting on this topic, but it is time after reading an email tonight.

So I ask a kid about joining the Gorillas for the Scholastic Duals. The response I got was, well I don't think I can because I need to get my two local tournaments in. Why is that you ask? Well this young man wants to take the SAT/ACT...to get into college maybe. This young man wants to go to Prom and not have to spend the weekend in a gym at the same time. If he just does those two things, he only  has three open weekends left to qualify for freestyle state. Don't forget about spring break or possibly even some heathen want to have a free weekend in the spring.

ISWA, you have once again dropped the ball and are hurting the kids more than anything. The Scholastic Duals is a great event for kids to wrestle top competition, but instead you are forcing kids to decline so they can wrestle two MAYBE three matches a local tournament.

What will it take for people on the board to have common sense? Even the old method of placing top 4 is better as you only needed one tournament. 

I'd probably get more out of talking to a wall, but I just want everyone to read this and see it for themselves instead of a private meeting in Indy.

Legitimately how tough is it to get a waiver? Seems like I saw and heard of plenty of wrestlers that got a waiver last year. What are their criteria for granting waivers for things such as prom or scholastic duals?

The large amount of waviers were granted last year due to it being the first year of the change and some confusion about the new rule. This year ISWA have made it clear from the start that waviers will not be given out so generously.

Legitimately how tough is it to get a waiver? Seems like I saw and heard of plenty of wrestlers that got a waiver last year. What are their criteria for granting waivers for things such as prom or scholastic duals?

According to the ISWA website and a few people who have talked to the ISWA powers, there will be NO waivers this year.

I have to agree with Y2 on this. We have a young wrestler that is going to Iowa back to back weekends then to Illinois for the middle school duals starting on March 25th thru April 10th weekend. That being said that leaves him two dates that are fairly close to his home to get the freestyle tournaments in(within an hour and a half). That will give him one weekend off not including this coming weekend between now and freestyle state.We will try to petition for a waiver either way and hope common sense prevails.

I'm held off long enough commenting on this topic, but it is time after reading an email tonight.

So I ask a kid about joining the Gorillas for the Scholastic Duals. The response I got was, well I don't think I can because I need to get my two local tournaments in. Why is that you ask? Well this young man wants to take the SAT/ACT...to get into college maybe. This young man wants to go to Prom and not have to spend the weekend in a gym at the same time. If he just does those two things, he only  has three open weekends left to qualify for freestyle state. Don't forget about spring break or possibly even some heathen want to have a free weekend in the spring.

ISWA, you have once again dropped the ball and are hurting the kids more than anything. The Scholastic Duals is a great event for kids to wrestle top competition, but instead you are forcing kids to decline so they can wrestle two MAYBE three matches a local tournament.

What will it take for people on the board to have common sense? Even the old method of placing top 4 is better as you only needed one tournament. 

I'd probably get more out of talking to a wall, but I just want everyone to read this and see it for themselves instead of a private meeting in Indy.

If you're truly this concerned, one would think you'd have put more thought in to crafting your message. A condescending smartass never changed any minds. 

If you're truly this concerned, one would think you'd have put more thought in to crafting your message. A condescending smartass never changed any minds. 

Either has the multiple "crafted comments."  There have been at least 4 different detailed post among 3-4 topics on this subject.  Once again this is sad and hurts all parties involved and should be taken seriously by the ISWA.  Look at how many different people all over the state have posted these complaints.   Obviously, there is always going to be resistance in change but I believe this is going to hurt wrestling in Indiana for awhile if something isn't done soon. 

There was multiple about 1/2 of the wrestlers that placed 1st or 2nd in the 2014 Freestyle finals that didn't go last year.  Some of the wrestlers I know from around my area didn't because of all the other commitments (several not just wrestling) to fit in the short window of time.  That sounds like a big time depletion in state talent or quality of wrestling at ISWA Freestyle tournament.  Kind of like the difference of being a Regional/Semi-state qualifier compared to a state qualifier/placer in ISHAA.

Here's my suggestion to the ISWA for a solution...

First, don't change anything this year.  It is what it is, and the ISWA will be permanently tarnished if they change it.

Next year, move up folkstyle state to the week after IHSAA state (basically the last week of February) and push back freestyle/greco state a week (middle of May).  That gives about 9 or 10 weeks for freestyle season, which should be plenty to get 2 qualifiers in.

Side note, add middle school state as a separate division of folkstyle state on that Sunday to qualify for the middle school duals team.  Many middle school teams are already still in season with the way it is now.  Less experienced wrestlers could choose between competing in the middle school qualifying division or their normal age division (novice, schoolboy, or cadet).  Just a thought because it would be silly to have middle school state and then folkstyle state 2 weeks later.

That's what I've got.  Bash away at it or be constructive and add to it.  The ISWA finalizes next year's state schedule in June.  If a final draft of something like this gets proposed to them before then, they will discuss and consider it.

The first weekend was a banging success

Columbia City 126 wrestlers with 58 being cadets and juniors

Jeffersonville 126 wrestlers with 50 being cadets and juniors

Maybe they all went to the Plymouth tournament (130)  or JYMS Big 11 Wrestling Conference (253).  Both were Folkstyle

Another 400 ish at 2016 St. Michael PK-4 City Finals (Folkstyle in Indy)

Here's my suggestion to the ISWA for a solution...

First, don't change anything this year.  It is what it is, and the ISWA will be permanently tarnished if they change it.

Next year, move up folkstyle state to the week after IHSAA state (basically the last week of February) and push back freestyle/greco state a week (middle of May).  That gives about 9 or 10 weeks for freestyle season, which should be plenty to get 2 qualifiers in.

Side note, add middle school state as a separate division of folkstyle state on that Sunday to qualify for the middle school duals team.  Many middle school teams are already still in season with the way it is now.  Less experienced wrestlers could choose between competing in the middle school qualifying division or their normal age division (novice, schoolboy, or cadet).  Just a thought because it would be silly to have middle school state and then folkstyle state 2 weeks later.

That's what I've got.  Bash away at it or be constructive and add to it.  The ISWA finalizes next year's state schedule in June.  If a final draft of something like this gets proposed to them before then, they will discuss and consider it.

I like most of what you said.  Some very good ideas.  The majority of your ideas would really be great!  The one item that would likely be a notable issue is pushing back fs/greco state, even by a week.  As noted on the other thread, moving further into May causes a lot of conflicts with hs exams, hs graduations, college graduations, central regionals, indy 500 filling hotels.  To be fair to iswa, fs/gr state likely needs to be first week in May or pushed all the way out into mid-June (which would never happen). 

The first weekend was a banging success

Columbia City 126 wrestlers with 58 being cadets and juniors

Jeffersonville 126 wrestlers with 50 being cadets and juniors

Are these numbers an increase or decrease over last year?  I am just wondering if the rule drove up or down registration numbers.

Are these numbers an increase or decrease over last year?  I am just wondering if the rule drove up or down registration numbers.

At Columbia City it was an increase of 24 wrestlers, but 12 of them were from out of state.

Jeffersonville saw an increase of 10 wrestlers.

I like most of what you said.  Some very good ideas.  The majority of your ideas would really be great!  The one item that would likely be a notable issue is pushing back fs/greco state, even by a week.  As noted on the other thread, moving further into May causes a lot of conflicts with hs exams, hs graduations, college graduations, central regionals, indy 500 filling hotels.  To be fair to iswa, fs/gr state likely needs to be first week in May or pushed all the way out into mid-June (which would never happen). 

11 were from out of State, 1 was from out of country.  We had one kid visiting from Russia (currently visiting Ohio) that came over to wrestle Freestyle and took his first attempt at Greco.  He was fun to watch.  He had freestyle exhibition matches with the Curtis brothers from Yorktown.  The older Curtis was able to score a takedown on him. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.