Plea to ISWA parents

Be more respectful of the things you have and don't forget where you came from.  Many of you don't realize the growth of the ISWA folkstyle state.  It has grown from a small tournament in a sports complex in Bloomington to the Mellancamp facility (with two restrooms)  to a dungeon industrial warehouse with leaky port 'o pottys to Lawrence Central  (jeeze that was a nightmare made space in a crowded subway look comfortable)  to two different weekends at two different schools to what we have now.  What we have now is by far the best. 

I only have one concern.  Using Warren Central is fantastic, plenty of space and bathrooms ect.  I'm worried that non respectful parents are going to ruin the ISWA's chance to continue to use the school.  Warren like most High schools is a tobacco free campus.  When I left on Saturday afternoon I noticed hundreds of cigarette butts laying on the ground outside the entrance.  It appears to me as if the staff and students take pride in their school.  If was the principal of Warren, that very well could be a deal breaker for me using my school. 

The ISWA does not always please everyone, but with over 2100 athletes along with their coaches and fans getting in and out of that place like it was done this weekend is a small miracle.

So if we want to continue to keep using this facility, be respectful, pick up after yourself, dont scratch walls and break things, be careful and mindful that this public facility but the school corporation and administration staff has been kind enough to give the stamp of approval.  We are only there 2 days of the year the students are there for 180 and they obviously have a nice facility to be proud of. 

I couldn't agree more. I think Warren is a great venue. I never felt crowded, even with the huge number of wrestlers. I couldn't agree more about the smoking/littering. Be respectful. Signs everywhere say it's a non-smoking facility. Those signs don't mean it's non smoking for everyone but you.

Can't say this enough. Also, if you are a parent, please watch your children during the day, or at least check on them. I don't know how many were sneaking off into back hallways, jumping on stuff they didn't need to be on without a parent in site. If you can't watch them, please find someone to watch them while you attend. It is out of courtesy and respect to the school, the ISWA staff and volunteers.

I was coaching one of the last matches Saturday night in the main gym with the Cadets. I can't believe how much trash people leave sitting behind without putting it in a trash can. I know their are custodians paid to clean, but isn't it just common courtesy to throw your own mess away?

This isn't just a location specific issue. I think this just needs to be a plea to all wrestling fans on take pride in the way you take care of where you are. Leaving trash on the ground or smoking on a smoke free campus is disrespectful of property whether it be just a small school or bankers life. There are people who work their tails off to clean the facilities we take for granted and the least we can do is make their job easier. Taking something outside of school property or throwing away trash is an easy task to perform, and there are many more things that could go on this list

Amen!!! Remember this when you all come to Avon for freestyle and Greco. We typically have to tell the same people over and over not to smoke. Picking up after yourselves will help a lot also.

With all of this said, 90 percent of our wrestling families get it. They understand that it is all about the kids and are very thankful to be able to wrestle in a nice facility. If you see something say something. We all want the best for the kids. Don't let the vast minority ruin it for the rest of us.

If you absolutely need a heater.... Get in your car and take a drive.

I couldn't agree more. I think Warren is a great venue. I never felt crowded, even with the huge number of wrestlers. I couldn't agree more about the smoking/littering. Be respectful. Signs everywhere say it's a non-smoking facility. Those signs don't mean it's non smoking for everyone but you.

Thank you!!!

My wife and son went to the entry doors get some fresh air between his semi-final and final match.  They returned 5 minutes later, when asked whats up, she said they couldn't make it past the cloud of smoke and he didn't feel much like taking his wrestling shoes off to walk out into rain past all the smoke.  When we left and walked past all the butts, I literally commented to my wife "wow, I thought this was a tobacco free campus, this is embarrassing."  It'll be a shame if ISWA has to hire additional security just to enforce a no smoking policy, but that may be what it'll have to come down too.  So when entry fees need to be raised to offset this additional security, a lot of us will understand why and support it.

Completely and totally agree.  Couldn't have said it better myself.  ISWA and 90% of people are very nice.  But as a wrestling community, we have to be much more politely aggressive about smoking and tobacco spit.  No way anyone should have to be picking up used coke bottles of tobacco spit.  I felt terrible for the people who had to deal with that.  

Man I was just reading the ISWA Facebook page. Some of the wrestling parents are crazy. Anyone claiming that the event was poorly ran is short sighted. I thought things went very well given how many kids they had wrestling. Anytime I read people complaining I figure that they had a kid lose and blame it on the setup of the event. I guess some people just like to complain about anything.

Edited by buscowrestling

Man I was just reading the ISWA Facebook page. Some of the wrestling parents are crazy. Anyone claiming that the event was poorly ran is short sighted. I thought things went very well given how many kids they had wrestling. Anytime I read people complaining I figure that they had a kid loose and blame it on the setup of the event. I guess some people just like to complain about anything.

there appeared to be a few temper tantrums and a lot of profanity thrown out by certain parents. I wonder where their kids learn to be big cry babies(sarcasm)

People think that events like that no matter how big or small is only for them and their kid. They will complain endlessly about waiting more than a half hour for a match. It is all about them as they only care about getting out by noon and have no regard for anyone else.

that's what happens when you get so many non wrestling people involved in a wrestling event.  In a hurry to leave?  Really, I look forward to this day every year, why would I want to be in a hurry for it to be over? 

People do have a tendency to be egocentric, like their wreslter's match is the only one that matters. 

The ISWA does an excellent job putting this tournament together so kudos to those people! It is a long weekend that is definitely worth every minute. My wrestlers get quality mat time and I get to help them along the way.  I'll agree with Wiesjahn, it also gives me the opportunity to catch up with friends and family that I hardly get to see.

I appreciate everything written here...but unfortunately the target audience will not likely be stopping by here to read it.  And my experience is, even if some do, they will not realize that these statements apply to them.  I have performed and received many blanket scoldings in my life and have not seen much effect being on either side of one.  To stop such behavior, someone has to actually patrol and enforce the rules.  Clearly this is not feasible (outside of a professional venue like Banker's Life) for many reasons.  Don't mean to be a Debby Downer, but again, what you say is quite true.  And I appreciate very much that you have said it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.