Boycott Freestyle State

Sig40

I think everyone is justified in being angry towards the ISWA, but in the end kids are wrestling more freestyle and that's all that really matters. You can't blame it on the Indy guys for getting creative to get their kids more matches.

What are we teaching the kids?

Last  year we had waiver-gate, now we have random "dual practices" now count as events. Basically we are finding ways to skirt the rules and it's lead by many of the ISWA leaders.

Last  year we had waiver-gate, now we have random "dual practices" now count as events. Basically we are finding ways to skirt the rules and it's lead by many of the ISWA leaders.

And yet I was denied a waiver with a documented medical condition. I like the word pathetic here. an embarrassment would fit as well. And if what your saying is true, lets throw in hypocrisy.

If it were offered free to all today I'd take a pass.

Edited by MCKAJC

Last year we had waiver-gate, now we have random "dual practices" now count as events. Basically we are finding ways to skirt the rules and it's lead by many of the ISWA leaders.

I guess it's just the optimist in me that thinks there is at least one kid who already had his 2 qualifiers and could care less if this counted as one. Some kids are just looking for every opportunity to get better.

I guess it's just the optimist in me that thinks there is at least one kid who already had his 2 qualifiers and could care less if this counted as one. Some kids are just looking for every opportunity to get better.

Let me tell you, there are also many people disgusted they drove 3 hours to get an iswa qualifier in who do care a lot!!! I'm sorry but at this point it doesn't have to do with getting better. If it was just about getting better, then iswa would have made these fanstasy duals public on the web. If it was about getting better, we would just allow any person to wrestle at state. If it was just about getting better, iswa wouldn't have turned down waiver requests in the last few weeks from injured guys or guys who wrestled for Indiana at national Folkstyle events. I think that pretty thoroughly evaporates any bull cr@p argument about opportunity to get better. This is an insult to our intelligence. There's only 3 reasons for this: low registration, opportunism and $.

It's highly debatable if more kids are wrestling freestyle. Three years ago I took 17 kids to freestyle state...this year we'll be lucky to have THREE. I know from my view in the trenches a lot less kids are training freestyle.

Yep we quit that 2 years ago.   This year instead we wrestled 7 state champs (2 were national champs) and 6 others that were high placers in their state (during this freestyle season).  But the sad part of it all is that I love Freestyle wrestling and sadly my son has grown up to be more of a Folkstyle wrestler, mostly these last few years.  Sadly we stopped after coming off a Freestyle State Championship, but hey they have it figured out. NOT!!!!!!!  Sounds like the kind of kid that I wouldn't want at my state event!

Are we sure ISWA isn't ran by the government?

Everyone was upset in another topic about how we didn't put the best possible team together for the NWCA and how that looks bad because we are the host state.  Well what about the schoolboy duals, which Indiana is also hosting. Just wait and see how many of our best kids won't be on that team because they can't wrestle in their own state tournament.  Unless ISWA does a tryout or hand picks their team there is going to be a lot of top kids missing from the lineup.  It is a shame because my kid loves freestyle.  #boycottstate

It's highly debatable if more kids are wrestling freestyle. Three years ago I took 17 kids to freestyle state...this year we'll be lucky to have THREE. I know from my view in the trenches a lot less kids are training freestyle.

Well, you can't blame your own kids for not wrestling freestyle or greco. That's got to take some convincing from coaches for them to like it. Just because they say it's "boring" or "not fun" or "they don't know how to wrestle the style" is a bunch of bologna. The coaches need to push these styles more. Indiana is losing a competitive edge and hype surrounding these styles, and the people who wrestle the styles will do much better, because they got more mat time, and got better because of it. Who cares if a wrestler messes up or did something wrong. If they learned something from their mistakes. It's a win win.

ISWA made a mistake by making it mandatory for cadets and up.  The market for ISWA should be Schoolboy/girl and down, and maybe just Intermediates and down.  If you get these younger kids involved in freestyle and build it from the bottom up than you have a greater chance.  Making cadets and up make a choice between national tournaments and freestyle is just plain dumb.  That is like telling someone to stay in their current job and trust that it will have a greater benefit to them than taking a job that will pay them more money and better benefits.  The only thing it is attempting to help is to set a standard that ISWA freestyle is the best choice as off season wrestling.  I am not disagreeing that freestyle isn't important for wrestling and I am not disagreeing that it improves a wrestler's folkstyle.  I do actually believe it does both. 

I truly believe at this point ISWA is hurting wrestling in Indiana.  I have said it before and I will say it again, if ISWA is all about freestyle and Greco than get out of the folkstyle business and start freestyle around the same time JV wrestlers are finishing up high school season.

Well, you can't blame your own kids for not wrestling freestyle or greco. That's got to take some convincing from coaches for them to like it. Just because they say it's "boring" or "not fun" or "they don't know how to wrestle the style" is a bunch of bologna. The coaches need to push these styles more. Indiana is losing a competitive edge and hype surrounding these styles, and the people who wrestle the styles will do much better, because they got more mat time, and got better because of it. Who cares if a wrestler messes up or did something wrong. If they learned something from their mistakes. It's a win win.

None of my kids say that, many actually enjoy the change of pace. However, most see no point in even practicing the style when they can't go to state due to the rules. They simply look at the calendar and can't attend two local events so they don't go to ANY events.  Why push the style when barely 10% of the room is going to wrestle the style? 

Team 1 my boys. Team 2 box of Captain Crunch. Team 3 our cow. If I send my boys out to the barn and ask them to milk the cow and they have the cereal box with them and when they grab the cow's udder she gets upset and kicks the cereal over and boys have to wrestle her back to the corral and we pay $175 is that a qualifying triple dual?

None of my kids say that, many actually enjoy the change of pace. However, most see no point in even practicing the style when they can't go to state due to the rules. They simply look at the calendar and can't attend two local events so they don't go to ANY events.  Why push the style when barely 10% of the room is going to wrestle the style? 

RWA is still pushing freestyle based on the fact that it will just make you a more complete wrestler. So that's our goal, regardless of any ridiculous sanctioning bodies ignorance. A philosophy I, and I'm sure most others, absolutely agree with. My two aren't back to full practice yet, but we're right there. So freestyle is it for us now with the central regional May 20 in Kalamazoo, as was recommended to me by the ISWA in the breath after the waiver I requested due to injury was denied. Not gonna slow our roll due to the ISWA's "plan". Just an adjustment and a LESSON LEARNED. Fool me once...

Edited by MCKAJC

A qualifying event would have four non-negotiable elements:

1. A weigh in

2. Skin checks

3. USAW licensed official 

4. Information readily available with plenty of advance public notice on iswa.com or the iswa annual booklet on time/location/registration

Every qualifying event thus far I know of had these four required elements.  A person can debate whether or not other elements might be required like age divisions, pairing clerks, gym or wrestling room.  But these four elements must be present.

I would argue if the four elements are not present, then it cannot be a qualifying event.  

Edited by WaltHarris

It is unfortunate as I really enjoy freestyle state. Over the years we made Freestyle State a big deal and we normally sent 10-15 kids to compete. This also helped keep kids in the room in the off season since they were training for something. This year, many of our kids could not get the 2 qualifying tournaments because the combination of Spring break, SAT, Scholastic Duals, other National tournaments. This year we may send 1-2 kids to Freestyle State. Disappointing.. Change the rule. It is doing more hurt than good. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.