4x State Champ vs 4x State Champ, who you got?

Who did Angel beat on the national level though? Probably not the likes of Luke Pletcher, Taylor Lamount, Kanan Storr, Jaden Enriquez. 

Also Nick Lee and Chad Red would've majored or tech falled Angel's finals opponents. 

There weren't the same amount of national showcases that there are today, so it's not really apples to apples.  My eyes tell me that Angel would win.

Placements at state

Angel Escobedo, Griffith 1st,1st,1st,1st

Craig Macke, Evansville Mater Dei  4th,2nd,2nd,3rd

Matt Jaggers, New Castle  5th,7th,2nd

Erik Johnson, Yorktown 6th, 2nd

Mike Leucuta, Portage  8th,2nd

Average placement - 3.1 

Chad Red, New Palestine 1st,1st,1st,1st

Garrett Pepple, East Noble 2nd, 2nd, 1st

Forrest Glogouski, Fairfield 6th,2nd

Gaige Torres, Portage 7th,2nd,2nd

Nick Lee, Evansville Mater Dei 3rd,1st,2nd, ?

Average placement -2.26 

I'm still taking Angel!

Placements at state

Angel Escobedo, Griffith 1st,1st,1st,1st

Craig Macke, Evansville Mater Dei  4th,2nd,2nd,3rd

Matt Jaggers, New Castle  5th,7th,2nd

Erik Johnson, Yorktown 6th, 2nd

Mike Leucuta, Portage  8th,2nd

Average placement - 3.1 

Chad Red, New Palestine 1st,1st,1st,1st

Garrett Pepple, East Noble 2nd, 2nd, 1st

Forrest Glogouski, Fairfield 6th,2nd

Gaige Torres, Portage 7th,2nd,2nd

Nick Lee, Evansville Mater Dei 3rd,1st,2nd, ?

Average placement -2.26 

I'm still taking Angel!

With the avg placements, are those just what they placed? Are you adding in the years they did not place? Did not qualify? 

Also add in that Angel beat Humphrey when they both were Freshman, keeping Reece from being a 4 time champ.  He also beat Shane Perkey and Macke in the semis as a sophomore and a Jr.  Both freestyle/greco all americans.  

However he never wrestled a Nick Lee type matchup where everyone was talking about it.  Macke was probably the closest he got to that type of match, as Macke was one of the best to never win a title.  

Interestingly three of Red's opponents had interesting reasons why they didn't qualify at least one more time

Pepple was JV as a freshman

Torres had an illegal slam end his sophomore season early

Glogouski lost in the ticket round his freshman year and as a junior year he lost to two-time placer Schuyler Phillips in the ticket round

This is dumb, Red would damn near beat Angel today, probably would... Stop. 

You just got exposed as someone who's never seen Angel wrestle.  I've seen both of them in many, many matches and I think Red would win--but you've clearly never seen Angel and definitely didn't see him in high school.

Joe Gomez from Illinois. He was a top recruit out of high school, but never wrestled in college.

I was in Fargo when Angel wrestled Gomez for the first time since the loss... The match didn't last long. Angel absolutely destroyed him. 

Honestly, Angel wins.  He was too good on his feet (even though internationally he's seemed like he has concrete shoes on in the last few years).

This is dumb, Red would damn near beat Angel today, probably would... Stop. 

Erm... Angel was an NCAA champ, 3x Big 10 champ, and 4x all-american, and has been wrestling top level international competition for several years.  Chad Red has been beating up on high school kids for a few years.  See the difference?

I see a lot of people talking about Angel AFTER high school. Chad Red as a senior vs Angel as a senior.

The previous poster was commenting on someone else's comments about Red, suggesting this debate is pointless because Red could basically beat him now.  The poster was just clearing up the fact that Angel would obviously clobber him right now--and that the discussion about HS senior vs. HS senior is very worthwhile based on how good Angel was at the time and how good he became.

Edited by maligned

The previous poster was commenting on someone else's comments about Red, suggesting this debate is pointless because Red could basically beat him now.  The poster was just clearing up the fact that Angel would obviously clobber him right now--and that the discussion about HS senior vs. HS senior is very worthwhile based on how good Angel was at the time and how good he became.

yeah not close today. IN is far deeper today than in Angel's day. It will be very difficult for him to match Angel's carrier. If I were a betting man I bet against it. JMO.

Edited by MCKAJC

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.