Impressive Runs of the 2015-16 Season

Looking back on the 2015-16 season, I must say it was a wild and crazy ride for wrestlers, coaches, and fans alike. There were surprises, upsets, and deep runs from the underdogs. All in all, who would you say impressed you this season with a run to the bank? I have three nominees that stood out to me.

1. Kris Rumph (Portage) - For a kid who's only been wrestling for a few years, placing fourth in a weight class led by nationally ranked studs is pretty impressive. He went toe to toe with Red, and about stopped the building if he finished the blast double. I hope to see more from this guy soon. Coach Vega has a great one on his hands.

2. Daniel Brookbank (Perry Meridian) - Brookbank is solid, and I'm sure coming up in a legendary room full of All-State wrestlers year in and year out really helped him grow into the gift I witnessed this season. He caught fire at the New Castle Semi-State when he put out a returning 37-1, Zach Melloh, and Saturday morning, he threw Nick Lee to his back. That's pretty impressive and I wish him luck in the future.

3. Isaiah McWilliams (South Bend Washington) - He by far had the best Friday night match out of the big guys. A nimble competitor who finished fourth at the state tournament in a game weight class. He upset Perkins Friday night, and York Saturday morning with persistence and determination to win. Fourth place is quite an accomplishment for a sophomore at a man's weight class. He (along with the Perry Hwt.) really represented well for the short guys at 285, and I hope to see this kid on top of the podium in the future. 

Asa Garcia had one heck of a run from semistate on

It was a great run for ASA. Avon has only had 4 Freshmen ever to qualify for State. Gunnar Lason 220, Mason Miranda 106, Nathan Conley 132 and ASA Garcia 106, who is the only one ever to medal. And he set the bar so high that he can only be tied. ASA also had 35 wins as a Freshman. That is better than Gunnar's Freshmen year at 31 and Nathan's Freshmen year at 30. I would say, a very good run. Avon is very proud of it's newest STATE CHAMP! 

I think that Burk VanHorn also had an impressive run at the state finals. Went from finishing as a runner-up at regionals and semistate, to finishing as a state runner-up. Had to wrestle higher than his seed, but that did not seem to phaze him. 

It was a great run for ASA. Avon has only had 4 Freshmen ever to qualify for State. Gunnar Lason 220, Mason Miranda 106, Nathan Conley 132 and ASA Garcia 106, who is the only one ever to medal. And he set the bar so high that he can only be tied. ASA also had 35 wins as a Freshman. That is better than Gunnar's Freshmen year at 31 and Nathan's Freshmen year at 30. I would say, a very good run. Avon is very proud of it's newest STATE CHAMP! [/quote

Did Huddleston not qualify as a freshman?]

It was a great run for ASA. Avon has only had 4 Freshmen ever to qualify for State. Gunnar Lason 220, Mason Miranda 106, Nathan Conley 132 and ASA Garcia 106, who is the only one ever to medal. And he set the bar so high that he can only be tied. ASA also had 35 wins as a Freshman. That is better than Gunnar's Freshmen year at 31 and Nathan's Freshmen year at 30. I would say, a very good run. Avon is very proud of it's newest STATE CHAMP! [/quote

Did Huddleston not qualify as a freshman?]

Nope, Freije either. Huddleston was State champ in 85 and 87, 4th in 86. Freije was State Champ in 82 and 83, 3rd in 81. Did not qualify as 9th graders. 

Most wins in a Career at Avon HS

1. Keith Huddleston 126 - 84-87, 3 Time State Q. State Medals - 1,4,1

2. James Williams 124 - 99-02. State Medals - 7,5

3. Dalton Jones 122 - 06-09. State Medal - 8

4. Kerry Johnson 119 - 02-05. State Medal - 7

5. Lynn Panko 118 - 03-05. State Medal - 1

6. Blaine Hall 117 - 07-10

7. Tyler Keers 116 - 00-03

8. Chris Hensler 114 - 02-05. State Medal - 7

8. Brendon Helm 114 - 12-15. State Medal - 3

10. Gunnar Larson 112 - Still has 1 year left, 3 Time State Q. State Medals - 5,2 

Asa Garcia and Nathan Conley along with Gunnar Larson will smash the all-time win record at Avon if they can stay healthy. That will be quite a run.

FYI - Greg Freije, Kevin Huddleston and Evan Elmore are the only others to qualify 3 times for State from Avon. 

News Flash just in - Coach Pugliese has called in Kris Hayward in 1987 at 98 LBS as a Freshmen Qualifier for Avon. Avon Coaches have checked the records and it is TRUE. Moved to Florida and became a State Champ! Thanks coach for the help. 

Edited by 800lbs Gorilla Mama

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.