Best wrestler to never make it to state?

Jade McCammon of Sullivan was a 4-timer to semi-state when you still had to be top 3 at regional.   He also had some nice success nationally in Greco-Roman.  But he couldn't get out of Evansville.

Edited by maligned

Doug Dick Warren Central '93.  His sophomore year, he had an outstanding season at 103 and won his regional.  He drew the loser of regional matchup Jason Terry-Marlin Stewart, both state champs, in the ticket round at NC SS, losing a close one.  Junior year at 119, another great season, Marion Co champ, and he severely separated is shoulder in the regional final.  Senior year at 125, again dominant season, won Marion Co again, easily beating in the finals the guy who finished 3rd at state that year.  Tore multiple ligaments in his ankle a couple days before sectionals.

Doug beat multiple state qualifiers/placers at his weight all 3 years in high school.  (Back then, the freshmen were at the Jr High in Warren Township.)  While not yet a title contender at his weight as a sophomore, I think he was among the top 8, and no doubt top 16.  He WAS good enough to compete for a state title as a Jr and Sr.  That is not just biased speculation if he wan't hurt.  The state champ at Doug's weight Jr year was MIke Daily of Batesville.  I wrestled Daily 6 times the previous summer in freestyle and greco splitting 3-3.  The next year Lee Marks of Hammond won Doug's weight class.  I was 1-2 against him in freestyle.  So I know how good the best at his weights were, and I know how good Doug was, because I wrestled him almost every day in practice.  He was right there with them.       

Maybe not the best, but Jeremy Hill is up there for me. I think 3x ticket rounder, Al Smith champion over his weight class' eventual 4th placer his senior year, and ranked 5th, getting upset in the ticket round.

Another interesting Jimtown kid was the youngest Kallimani at 145 back in '98.  He was undefeated, the Al Smith champ, and had numerous wins over Goshen's Yoder, who won the semi-state easily and ended up 4th at state.  Unfortunately, Kallimani was suspended before semi-state his senior year.  I'm almost certain he was never at state other years.

Edited by maligned

Jade Mccammon 4X ticket rounder (4x sectional champ, 3x regional champ, placed 7th freestyle in Fargo and 4th Greco in Fargo)

Fresh- lost to Craig Macke mater Dei

Soph- lost to Matt coughlin mater Dei

Junior- lost to Joel Jeffries martinsville

Senior- lost to Joe Lehman mater Dei

Hunter Hughes- Jeffersonville- 4x ticket rounder I believe he even beat the state champ one year

He did beat the state champ on three occasions his senior year. Mitch Robb from New Albany.  Robb only owned one victory over him out of four that season.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.