6 State Championships

leaveitonthemat

He would have had a much tougher time that is for sure. I guarantee he wouldn't have pinned or TF'ed his way to a state title.

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't think he would have had too much trouble winning state in IN this year.

So you have no facts to support this, my favorite word is "probably", not very scholarly, and our 170 pound state champion is a redshirt as well, who cares? 

I think scholars deal with estimates and probabilities as well as facts.   I watched the Hall170 lb final match,  and he didn't have to work very hard to get his tech fall.  Maybe he's that good, but  I was surprised to see that level of wrestling from Halls opponent.   Thus I made a logical assumption.

I think people care do if kids redshirt to gain an athletic advantage, and I didn't know that Hughes had red shirted in Middle school.    Sounds like an interesting topic: Kids that redshirted to win a state championship.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

That is not exactly correct...unless the rules changed in the last five years.  Florida allows middle schoolers if the middle school is connected/in the same building as the high school.  It just so happens that most of these schools are private.  A good example is Fort Myers Riverdale- a public 7-12 school and one of the best programs in SW Florida.  Scotti Sentes of recent Central Michigan fame went there and their coach, Kris Hayward, is a former Hoosier and great guy.  There is no middle school wrestling in Fort Myers...unless you go to Riverdale.  This drove me nuts when I coached at Cypress Lake High School and could see Cypress Lake Middle next door.  However, it is a different school so no middle school wrestlers for me.  Anyway, monster schools like Brandon always use a small nearby private school as a "feeder program."  It always seemed super sketchy to me coming from Indianapolis with well funded middle school athletics in every township, but they are well within the FHSAA rules.                  

That still might be the case. I just see alot of middle schoolers wrestling for private schools in Florida. And I personally havent seen a MS wrestler for a public school this year.

I think it's safe to say that Hall is pretty solid given he did beat Jason Nolf last summer. The same Nolf who is tearing it up for Penn St. and beat Martinez earlier this year. So he was prolly able to win that easy bc he is that good, not bc his opponent is bad. Hall would prolly win ours pretty easily.

As for him possibly not TF or Pinning his way, it wasn't that long ago when Howe was doing that. So it is possible in our state.

That still might be the case. I just see alot of middle schoolers wrestling for private schools in Florida. And I personally havent seen a MS wrestler for a public school this year.

I moved overseas about six years ago so am way out of the loop.  Turns out Riverdale went 9-12 a few years ago.  I will bet the rule is the same, but there may be no more jr/hs public schools left.

I think Hall would easily major Drew Hughes, much like Marinelli did at Carver Night of Conflict back in October. And Hughes is a Bada$$.

Out of season with a freestyle/folk style mix rules I doubt it's a major in straight folkstyle(no push out rule) Google Mcclosky vs mark hall. Austin took him to the limit.

I think it's safe to say that Hall is pretty solid given he did beat Jason Nolf last summer. The same Nolf who is tearing it up for Penn St. and beat Martinez earlier this year. So he was prolly able to win that easy bc he is that good, not bc his opponent is bad. Hall would prolly win ours pretty easily.

As for him possibly not TF or Pinning his way, it wasn't that long ago when Howe was doing that. So it is possible in our state.

I completely agree.

To the naysayers: you do realize we are talking about Mark Hall right? The same Mark Hall that has undoubtedly been one of the absolute best wrestlers in the nation for the last 5 years or more? He has been ranked number 1 in the nation pound for pound the last two years and is a world champion at his age group. The kid is nicknamed "The Prodigy" and has a Flo documentary about him that is a few years old. He is the most relaxed wrestler I have ever seen. He makes the sport look easy.

If anyone is capible of pinning or tech falling their way to a high school state championship, in any state, it is Mark Hall.

Check your Indiana bias.

Watch his match vs Valencia from last year at WNO. He easily majors who must thought, at that time, was pound for pound number one in the nation.

I think Drew Hughes is a tough kid. I would love to have him on my team. He has shown he is clearly the best the past two years in Indiana, and has a unbelievable high school stat sheet. I wish him the best of luck at the tournament in PA and in college. That said, I would be shocked if he were to kept it to a decision if they wrestle in a few weeks. Vegas odds would probably be Hall + 8.

Again, I mean no disrespect to Drew Hughes. As a fan of Indiana wrestling, I hope I have to eat my words and would love to see Hughes pull off an upset. It would be great for him and for Indiana.

I just think you need to acknowledge that what Hall has done is completely unbelievable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.