6 State Championships

leaveitonthemat

As most of you know Mark Hall just won his 6th State Championship in Minnesota.  The state allows middle school wrestlers to wrestle at the high school level.  Here is the piece that Flo did on it.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/39974-flowrestler-of-the-week-mark-hall-apple-valley-mn

Now for the debate, would any Indiana wrestlers be able to pull off this amazing feat?  I know CJ was a great middle school wrestler, however as a 7th and 8th grader he would have been extremely undersized to beat a very strong Micic and Boston.  Anyone know about the others?

Hall is quite the athlete and a rare talent that can hopefully continue to achieve great things in this sport.  But, it is worth pointing out that he also got an extra season in Kentucky his first 7th grade year to help in developing his skills against high school athletes, before moving back to Minnesota.   So he actually has 6 State titles (Minnesota) and a Runner-Up (Kentucky). 

What is the likelihood the ihsaa would allow middle schoolers to compete here in Indiana? Has it been brought up to them in recent memory?

I'd say close to never as you can get.

We'll get

Class wrestling

Amended travel rule

wrestle-backs

hair on my head

before they let middle schoolers wrestle.

Too dangerous for 7th graders wrestling seniors, its just not worth it.  And I could see a lot of coaches filling their open spots with middle schoolers, and kids getting hurt.    I'm surprised KY and MN do this, but you can develop some impressive records like Mark Hall.   I think Montana also also allows middle schoolers to compete.

Anyway to do what Mark Hall did really takes a dedicated/crazy parent.   His parents moved twice during his 7 year high school career, just for high school wrestling.   Is it worth it?   My son wrestled Mark Hall in a Biddy tournament in Elyria, OH about 9 years ago.      He was from Davison, MI and was about a four hour drive to the Cleveland Area.    He easily won,  and I was impressed with his skills back then.    I talked to his dad back then and he said that  they wrestled 50 weeks a year as a 9-10 year old, and that they traveled to all the big national tournaments.    Im sure his dad has more money invested in his wrestling than the value of the scholarship,  but people have different priorities.   He is the P4P best wrestler in the country,  you cant argue with that result.

Didn't Logan Storley win 6 in SD?

I believe he did.

Other 6 timers:

Kirk Wallman - SD

Michael Sutton - AL

Brandon Womack - AL

I think we can go out on a limb and say that none of these guys wrestled the type of competition that Tsirtsis's, Red, or even Ellis faced. (they did beat who was in front of them 6 times, so it's incredible impressive)

Edited by Westforkwhite

I believe he did.

Other 6 timers:

Kirk Wallman - SD

Michael Sutton - AL

Brandon Womack - AL

I think we can go out on a limb and say that none of these guys wrestled the type of competition that Tsirtsis's, Red, or even Ellis faced. (they did beat who was in front of them 6 times, so it's incredible impressive)

But winning the Minnesota big class like Hall did is impressive and I would say he faced similar competition as the above mentioned names.   SD and Alabama might be a little watered down. Not Minnesota.

Also, and more impressively Hall won his early state championships (7th-9th)  in the middle weights (145-160) and wrestled tough more physically developed upper classman.     Red and Tsirtsis won they're freshman year at 106.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

But winning the Minnesota big class like Hall did is impressive and I would say he faced similar competition as the above mentioned names.   SD and Alabama might be a little watered down. Not Minnesota.

Agreed for Hall and MN, I was making reference to Storely and the others from SD and AL.

Also, and more impressively Hall won his early state championships (7th-9th)  in the middle weights (145-160) and wrestled tough more physically developed upper classman.     Red and Tsirtsis won they're freshman year at 106.

Wrong.

Tsirtsis won his first title at 125 lbs. 

I think it is only allowed at private/parochial schools or something of that nature.

We have a Florida person that peruses the board maybe he'll chime in.

I don't know about other states, but when I coached in Louisiana, it was based on enrollment and structure of the building. Many of the smaller schools housed grades 7-12, 4-12, or k-12. If the junior high students were in the same building as high school students, they could participate in varsity athletics. 

I think it is only allowed at private/parochial schools or something of that nature.

We have a Florida person that peruses the board maybe he'll chime in.

Florida allows middle schoolers to wrestle in FHSAA, but they have to attend a private school that has HS wrestling. For exmaple Kevin and Kyle Norstrem both attended 8th grade at Tampa Prep a 1A school. They both won FHSAA State as 8th graders at that school. Then they went to local high school after that (Brandon). Kevin went on to win 4 more state titles (5x) and Kyle has already won 4 going for 5th this weekend.

Florida allows middle schoolers to wrestle in FHSAA, but they have to attend a private school that has HS wrestling. For exmaple Kevin and Kyle Norstrem both attended 8th grade at Tampa Prep a 1A school. They both won FHSAA State as 8th graders at that school. Then they went to local high school after that (Brandon). Kevin went on to win 4 more state titles (5x) and Kyle has already won 4 going for 5th this weekend.

BTW... Danny's son Trey has qualified for state in the 2A 106 pound weight class (in Florida). He comes in as a one seed (since he won his region). Hopefully, he will be a 4 timer down there. Congrats to the Lane's!!!! Kind of scary when you realize that Trey and Asa Garcia would have been battling for a varsity spot (if they did not make the big move). With that said, we look forward to going to down to train with Brandon this summer!  #HillboroughCountyWrestling #OurSisterCounty #TheCounty

That is not exactly correct...unless the rules changed in the last five years.  Florida allows middle schoolers if the middle school is connected/in the same building as the high school.  It just so happens that most of these schools are private.  A good example is Fort Myers Riverdale- a public 7-12 school and one of the best programs in SW Florida.  Scotti Sentes of recent Central Michigan fame went there and their coach, Kris Hayward, is a former Hoosier and great guy.  There is no middle school wrestling in Fort Myers...unless you go to Riverdale.  This drove me nuts when I coached at Cypress Lake High School and could see Cypress Lake Middle next door.  However, it is a different school so no middle school wrestlers for me.  Anyway, monster schools like Brandon always use a small nearby private school as a "feeder program."  It always seemed super sketchy to me coming from Indianapolis with well funded middle school athletics in every township, but they are well within the FHSAA rules.                  

Edited by matts

JMO,,  but i would rather had my nephew watching the state finals for the first time witness the way Mark Hall acted after winning 6 titles then the way an IN wrestler acted after winning 4.   In the same thought,  how would Mark Hall handled the Indiana version of the State Finals, if he was going for 6 titles with a 0 behind them,,,  ! thing for sure both will be (hopefully) fun to watch in the Big 14 for the next years

JMO,,  but i would rather had my nephew watching the state finals for the first time witness the way Mark Hall acted after winning 6 titles then the way an IN wrestler acted after winning 4.   In the same thought,  how would Mark Hall handled the Indiana version of the State Finals, if he was going for 6 titles with a 0 behind them,,,  ! thing for sure both will be (hopefully) fun to watch in the Big 14 for the next years

He would have had a much tougher time that is for sure. I guarantee he wouldn't have pinned or TF'ed his way to a state title.

Keep in mind,  probably all the decent wrestlers scattered away from the 170 weight class in Minnesota,  as they didn't want to wrestle the 19 year old man/ redshirt senior with 7 years of high school wrestling experience under his belt.   Chad had to beat the 4th rated guy in the country.   Little different scenario.

Keep in mind,  probably all the decent wrestlers scattered away from the 170 weight class in Minnesota,  as they didn't want to wrestle the 19 year old man/ redshirt senior with 7 years of high school wrestling experience under his belt.   Chad had to beat the 4th rated guy in the country.   Little different scenario.

So you have no facts to support this, my favorite word is "probably", not very scholarly, and our 170 pound state champion is a redshirt as well, who cares? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.