Question for anyone who may have the answer...

Galagore

I'm not sure, but I guarantee they have way more "who do you think would win, class A, or class AA Champs" threads then we have.

You don't think the culture of the state has anything to do with the fact that they aren't calling to go back to one class? How long have those states been classed? That makes a huge difference in all of this.

Classingng wrestling probably wouldn't make that big of a difference one way or another in terms of the level of wrestling that our big and small schools would produce. It would make a huge change in our wrestling culture, and that is why you see arguments against it, it would be the same in those states if people were to argue going to one class.

If state was classed this year, we wouldn't have had Lee vs Red. Would there have been 12,000 people there? Would the atmosphere and excitement from the crowd have been there? Single class, maybe if just for a year, was great for indiana wrestling as far as bringing fans to the finals. As far as growing it for the little guys, like my team, we keep the same attitude. We don't want to fight for a spot as the best little school wrestlers, we want to fight for a spot as the best wrestlers in the entire state.

If state was classed this year, we wouldn't have had Lee vs Red. Would there have been 12,000 people there? Would the atmosphere and excitement from the crowd have been there? Single class, maybe if just for a year, was great for indiana wrestling as far as bringing fans to the finals. As far as growing it for the little guys, like my team, we keep the same attitude. We don't want to fight for a spot as the best little school wrestlers, we want to fight for a spot as the best wrestlers in the entire state.

Mater Dei bumps up for team state, they would probably bump up classes for individual state.

If you are basing the reason to stay a single class state on one match out of 280, that's pretty weak.

Agreed, that's pretty weak. I wasn't saying we should stay single class, I was trying that maybe just for a year it wasn't a bad thing.

I know classing wrestling could/will grow the sport, and as someone who wants to promote it and build it in my school and area, I know it would be very beneficial. I want the best for my team, but I guess selfishly in my mind I would want to be "the" state champ at my weight, not "one of multiple" state champs at my weight.

I don't have an argument either way. Part of me loves single class, part of me would be interested in being in a classed system.

Just a question though, if we were a multi classed state, which kids would have got the invites to the Pittsburg classic? The big school seniors, or the small school seniors? If the big school champ was a junior and his runner up was a senior, but the small school champ was a senior and had lost to the big school runnerup several times that year, how would that be handled? I'm not being critical, I'm honestly curious

Agreed, that's pretty weak. I wasn't saying we should stay single class, I was trying that maybe just for a year it wasn't a bad thing.

I know classing wrestling could/will grow the sport, and as someone who wants to promote it and build it in my school and area, I know it would be very beneficial. I want the best for my team, but I guess selfishly in my mind I would want to be "the" state champ at my weight, not "one of multiple" state champs at my weight.

I don't have an argument either way. Part of me loves single class, part of me would be interested in being in a classed system.

Just a question though, if we were a multi classed state, which kids would have got the invites to the Pittsburg classic? The big school seniors, or the small school seniors? If the big school champ was a junior and his runner up was a senior, but the small school champ was a senior and had lost to the big school runnerup several times that year, how would that be handled? I'm not being critical, I'm honestly curious

Most of the guys that were picked have some solid national credentials to backup their in-state success.

Torres, Vaughn, Lawrence have all placed at USAW Folkstyle Nationals

Rypel and Hughes have placed at Super 32

Those are off the top of my head, it wouldn't have been too hard to pick out the top guys based on success in the state both out of season and in-season, along with national accolades.

How long is the, "Let's go to one class for the individual tournament" thread on the Michigan (or IL, or PA, etc) message board(s)?

I was just thinking what's the message boards on the California forum say about going to class wrestling.   Were kind of in the same boat.   I thought I would check and found a site "The California Grappler".   I didn't find anything on class wrestling,  but I did see it was very inactive.  Just 2 posts so far today.       Which makes me think about:  Maybe Indianamat is cool and a great place to express an opinion,  or that we spend too much time on wrestling forums and that people in California have more interesting things to do in their spare time.

I was just thinking what's the message boards on the California forum say about going to class wrestling.   Were kind of in the same boat.   I thought I would check and found a site "The California Grappler".   I didn't find anything on class wrestling,  but I did see it was very inactive.  Just 2 posts so far today.       Which makes me think about:  Maybe Indianamat is cool and a great place to express an opinion,  or that we spend too much time on wrestling forums and that people in California have more interesting things to do in their spare time.

Probably because its warm 24/7 there, where as in here it is cold 24/7

Who would win in a rematch, Lee or Red? What was the coolest singlet in the finals? Where did you eat at state? Which Tsirtsis is better? Could Y2 cut to 195 and fill in for Rypel at Pennsylvania if he had to?

Should the spladle be banned? Should the singlet be changed?

All of these I ask solely for the purpose of not having another class wrestling discussion.

They have yet to discover #CoolHashTagSlogans!

Should the spladle be banned? Should the singlet be changed?

I don't think the spladle should be banned,   but the crotch section of the new singlets need to be reinforced so when somebody is put into the spladle,  we don't have any embarrassing situations.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.