JV state tournament?

whambam130

Any particular reason this isn't a thing? I've heard some states do it.

In a discussion on here about classed wrestling...It came up on another thread that wrestlers from small schools "at least" have an opportunity to wrestle at sectionals whereas you have kids on teams like penn portage perry warren emd avon brownsburg etc who probably have a few state caliber kids on JV.  Why not run a big tournament the weekend before sectionals for JV guys... A lot of teams in the state have that weekend off and it would be something to cap off the JV season.  Its not something that the IHSAA would necessarily have to sanction, could be an invite ran by a school.

A quick trackwrestling search shows that Kentucky, Colorado, and Florida have such events and they are very well attended. It may not be a "prestigious" honor to be a JV state champion but its something to work toward if a kid cant crack the varsity lineup.

Edited by whambam130

This could be a big money maker for the ISWA, and increase membership. Run the start of the event the day after sectionals or regionals at four sites, anyone who was entered into a sectional is Ineligilible. Have the sites coordinated by semi-state, you have to attend a school in that semi-state to attend that event. Bring the top 4-6 from each site to the finals the next Sunday, that might conflict because of ms state but I am sure something could be worked out. Lots of kids would want to participate in this so they would buy USA cards and probably attend a few events after this. JV kids would stick around to practice more in order to participate. This could be a win for the state as a whole and the ISWA in terms of membership.

Edited by CoachM

In one breath it sounds like a silly/pointless idea, but in another it would be a better way of determining which teams should be selected for team state the following year, and would likely be a big motivator for JV kids to improve their skill.

I doubt it will happen but if it did I wouldn't complain.

This was an event that was in the works with Mark Durham (the guy who runs the IHSAA Finals) to run it after DII Midwest Regionals @ UIndy.  The logistics just did not work for this year, but this is definitely something that is being looked into more heavy in the coming years.  I love the people who think this is a bad thing.  Just think about it as another meet that our athletes are allowed to get some matches in.  We are into the part of the year where the athletes should be getting better and getting matches in.  In most of our days, we would have 75 folkstyle, 100-200 freestyle and greco matches during the offseason.  Now the kids are lucky to get 30 matches in the offseason.  I for one am always a proponent of getting athletes on the mat to get better.  Maybe I am a fool to believe that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.