Should USA Wrestling Consider Classed National Championship

Walter Sobchak

Should USA wrestling consider Classed National Championship for Junior and Cadet Age division:

Divide States by Population:

Class A  States with More than 10 million People  (Seven States)

Class  AA  States with 2 million to 9 Million People  ( 29 states)

Class AAA  States with Less than 2 Million people ( 15 including  Wash D.C,)

What are your thoughts on this.  We could crown three national champions in each of the weights and age divisions. 

What about classing the Olympics according to a country's size? 

Three Olympic champions? 

Thoughts? 

MLB has four classes.

NBA has two classes (plus an assortment of minor leagues).

Pro tennis and golf have multiple tours that serve as classes

Hockey has too many classifications to count

College has D1, D2, D3 and NAIA classes

Now most of these sports are not classed for the Olympics, but outside of the Olympic games they have various levels.  

I am sorry, but no matter how hard the wrestlers work at St. Joseph College of Calumet they will never be able to compete with University of Iowa.

And that is a fact of life. 

Unless you're of the thinking that everyone deserves a trophy.

I don't think that allowing St. Joseph College of Calumet to wrestle in an NAIA division with schools like Campbellsville and Cumberland is giving everyone a participation ribbon.  Rather, such an equitable leveling of the playing field just is reasonable and makes commonsense.  

MLB has four classes.

NBA has two classes (plus an assortment of minor leagues).

Pro tennis and golf have multiple tours that serve as classes

Hockey has too many classifications to count

College has D1, D2, D3 and NAIA classes

Now most of these sports are not classed for the Olympics, but outside of the Olympic games they have various levels.  

I am sorry, but no matter how hard the wrestlers work at St. Joseph College of Calumet they will never be able to compete with University of Iowa.

Worth noting for the most part these examples are sports that "class" by a previously measured factors that have been proven to show one ability in excel in that particular sport while an adult or at least when someone is a older teenager.  Sure they get these evaluation wrong sometimes which creates an occasional outliers, but on average the "class"  pools you with the talent group are are most equivalent too.  And in terms of the NCAA "classes" an emphasis on grade have also come into play along with some financial concerns as families evaluate the school side of that option.   They were not divided up do to a person geography, an areas populations size, school districts, etc.  So, a somewhat different argument of how classes is being handled.  These examples would fall more in line with how a European Club system is set up than comparing it to HS sports teams.  Not saying one is better or worse than the other, but its a different system based more on evaluation than location.

Edited by MattM

Worth noting for the most part these examples are sports that "class" by a previously measured factors that have been proven show one ability in excel in that particular sport.   Sure they get these evaluation wrong sometimes which creates an occasional outliers, but on average the "class"  pools you with the talent group are are most equivalent too.  And in terms of the NCAA "classes" an emphasis on grade have also come into play along with some financial concerns as families evaluate the school side of that option.   They were not divided up do to a person geography, an areas populations size, school districts, etc.  So, a somewhat different argument of how classes is being handled.  These examples would fall more in line with how a European Club system is set up than comparing it to HS sports teams.  Not saying one is better or worse than the other, but its a different system based more on evaluation than location.

That's fair enough.  I was just making an overall philosophical point that as a society we have classifications for many sports.  And it does not necessarily have do with giving everyone a ribbon.

I don't think that allowing St. Joseph College of Calumet to wrestle in an NAIA division with schools like Campbellsville and Cumberland is giving everyone a participation ribbon.  Rather, such an equitable leveling of the playing field just is reasonable and makes commonsense.  

Is the "playing field" level in real life? I'd say it's anything but.

Note:  USA wrestling not NCAA:  So the reference is to National Champs in Fargo.  Look Alaska only has 700,000 to choose from for partners, California has 37 mil.... doesn't seem fair to me.

Again, if not perfectly fair for everyone we shouldn't do anything to make things more equitable for anyone? 

I don't pay as much in taxes as someone who makes $500,000 a year. Taxes are classed, do  you want to pay as much as someone who makes 5X as much as you?

You can wear my state medal on Wednesdays and every other weekend. That way we can all be winners.

Sound good?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.