Pick a sport

Coach Nieman

Long distance running and wrestling have nothing to do with each other

True in theory...but I definitely had a better gas tank the one year I ran cross-country compared to the three years I did wrestling-specific prep only in the fall.  Not sure how the tradeoff comes out there.  

Long distance running and wrestling have nothing to do with each other

I wrestled with several guys that ran Cross Country, and they had amazing gas tanks. For most CC athletes, coming into the season is probably an easier transition than football or tennis because they have been blowing their lungs out for an entire season. I do agree that wrestling is a different type of conditioning, but coming in from CC sure helps.

I remember coming into the wrestling room after cross country season and puking for the first week.  I always found it very hard to transition from CC to wrestling condition, just my own personal experience.  Now I found leaving the wrestling room and going out and running down a runway with a pole during track season came very easy.  Reverse of the question posed, wrestling seemed to help tremendously with pole vaulting.  It got me a college scholarship with very little actual work on the track; I even hated it all through college, would much rather have been wrestling back then, but it helped pay the bills. 

I hate to tell an athlete to only concentrate on one sport. Of course you have exceptions, but for the vast majority, high school or college will probably be the end of highly competitive sports. You only have a few years to be young, and then it is on to the real world. Enjoy every minute of it while you can!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.