Pick a sport

Coach Nieman

I was a multi-sport athlete in high school, and I feel like it really helped me as a wrestler. I was just curious as to what sport coaches would most like to see their wrestlers participate in during the offseason. I feel that the most obvious answer is football, so I ask that we try to stay away from that.

Long distance running and wrestling have nothing to do with each other

It helps more than flippant remarks that offer no contribution to a topic of discussion.

Starting a season with any level of conditioning, be it from running, tennis, or walking up and down a golf course, is preferable to having your first day of practice be your first day working out for the season

Yeah, kids should just sit on the couch and play video games all off season since long distance running won't help at all with wrestling.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth.  Apparently, I said to play football, play video games, or do nothing and show up to the first practice of the season out of shape.  

Go do some research on long distance running and wrestling.  Will it help lose some weight? Sure. Does it help you become a better wrestler. Absolutely not. 

It helps more than flippant remarks that offer no contribution to a topic of discussion.

Next time I'll check with you before posting.  I didn't realize everyone was so sensitive.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth.  Apparently, I said to play football, play video games, or do nothing and show up to the first practice of the season out of shape.  

Go do some research on long distance running and wrestling.  Will it help lose some weight? Sure. Does it help you become a better wrestler. Absolutely not. 

Next time I'll check with you before posting.  I didn't realize everyone was so sensitive.

I think the problem stems from you not adding anything to the thread. So, before getting upset at people putting words in your mouth... put the words there yourself. You see... all we know is that you believe that long distance running and wrestling help each other in no way. Without you saying what does help, it seems fair for us to assume that you think playing video games is just as beneficial as running cross country.

Most CC programs include other workouts besides just running long distances. Sprints, intervals and even some weight training. Not to mention some of the mental toughness that can transfer. To say it absolutely does not help isn't accurate.

why not just continue to wrestle in the offseason

Because at small schools like ours, if athletes picked only 1 sport to play, we'd lose at everything. I agree that wrestling in the offseason is preferable, but that isn't realistic at all schools. Hence my original question.

Edited by Coach Nieman

There's benefits to playing other sports instead of just specializing on one.   I think your less likely to burnout by doing one sport year round.   Also you get injuries from repetitive motions in the same sport.    I think there's always cross over benefits that will help you in life and other sports.  I played 3 in high school:  football, wrestling and tennis.  I enjoyed all 3 and all 3 helped me in each of the other sports.

It's been shown over and over that focusing on one sport leads to higher injuries and burnout. 

It's also been shown that if you want to be a state champion it's better to be a one sport athlete. Streck and Parris both played football and Pruitt is a pole vaulter. I do not believe any of the other champs play another sport.

#DevilsAdvocate #SadTruth

X-Country is great for cardio and slow twitch muscle conditioning, but it is a far different animal from the type of endurance needed in wrestling. If you did a lot of lifting in the summer and then run X-country there is a good chance you'll lose all the gains you made in a effort to run 7-9 miles a day. Wrestling being an explosion sport, makes track (sprints) a lot better suited to wrestling (but it comes at the same time as the bulk of the off-season stuff) Soccer, gymnastics, swimming would be up towards to the top of the list but the seasons (expect for soccer) aren't very conducive for wrestlers.

If you want to be a world level athlete you should probably play multiple sports throughout your life. This has been a big topic, most of our world team has spoke on their experiences playing other sports. The focus generally changes the older you get, I imagine most of our state champs played a variety of different sports growing up. It isn't hard to imagine why a 110-130lb kid doesn't play football, especially at larger schools, and struggles playing other sports in high school. 

Edited by CoachM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.