Humility

allyourbase

Humility????

That doesn't sound like humility.

hu·mil·i·ty (h)yo͞oˈmilədē/ noun
noun: humility
  1. a modest or low view of one's own importance;

Watch Brent wrestle and how he conducts himself. It's a straight face and calm demeanor.

It's not for everyone, obviously.

He showed real Humility when he pushed Caldwell.  His face was NOT straight or calm that day. 

We have a tendency to look for information that confirms what we already believe.  We all have faults and should not be so quick to judge or criticize the actions of others. 

Edited by Walter Sobchak

Watch Brent wrestle and how he conducts himself. It's a straight face and calm demeanor.

maybe not humility, but what about his NCAA FInals match. Shoving someone mid-backflip is a calm demenor? And I undertand that it was an isolated incident, but still...

The more I competed and the better I became, the more I began to see that despite my contributions to the sport, there were some people who would never know who I was, and those who did may choose not to like you anyway.

-Jordan Burroughs

11420109-large.jpg

If Brent Metcalf is the guy you think should be held up as the standard of wrestling behavior, I think that explains a lot. Aside from the Caldwell incident, he was famous for excessive physicality, out of bounds, after whistles. In fact, his whole act almost certainly influenced current iowa face-musher Thomas Gillman. While Metcalf didn't talk insane smack like Gillman, he was pretty consistently dismissive of his opponents' skills in many interviews.

I, for one, felt that looked at a certain way Nick Lee should have been flattered by Chad Red's reaction to winning (lets face it, even though you don't way it we know who you are talking about). 

While an element of his reaction was certainly in response to the cumulative effects of four years of pressure finally and forever being lifted, there had to be an element of relief as well that he overcame his greatest challenge yet. If he had reacted as though it was another day at the office you can argue that would have been more disrespectful to Lee than the over the top reaction we witnessed.

You can imagine a scenario where he had serious doubts pre-match given the quality of the competition he faced. Through that prism perhaps Nick should be flattered.

CJ just became a 4x undefeated state champion. Acting as if it were another match is plain ludicrous. None of you on here have ever come close to accomplishing that, therefore, you do not understand how it feels. Another problem is that a lot of you believe that your OPINIONS are facts, which is not true. The "proper behavior" after winning is a matter of OPINION. So for some of you to get on here and bash a 17 year old kid who just won his 183rd consecutive match and 4th state title because he celebrated really bugs me. Just because CJ's behavior is not in correlation with your OPINION on how to win, does not give you the right to say it is wrong. Someone can just as easily say doing nothing after a win of that magnitude is wrong. That is the beauty of life, you can live how you feel is correct. Congratulations to CJ. You earned it.

The worst sportsmanship I've seen in the NCAA tournament was from Brent Metcalf vs Caldwell in the NCAA finals.    Brent Metcalf doesen't want to give his opponents the satisfaction of seeing him celebrate.  But he turns to the biggest Jackass when somebody beats him.    Not the best example of you most humble guy.

On a side note,  I was in attendance at the NCAA finals in St Louis that year, and by chance my tickets were in the Iowa section which was the largest section at the meet, so I  was surrounded by a lot of Black and Gold.   I was with my sons, one who was attending Ohio State at that time.  Note Iowa had a small lead going into the finals ahead of the Buckeyes, I think about 6.5 points.  OSU needed two wins from Reese Humphrey and Pucillo (who wrestled Herbert) to pass Iowa and also  needed Metcalf to lose to win the National title.   My son's girlfriend was roommates with Hump's girlfriend, so Reese and him hung out and were  buddies.    We had our OSU gear on and were pulling for Hump.   When Hump was up, the whole Iowa section, gave him the a very loud boo and we took it personally.   We didn't like it and let some of the Iowa fans know.   But unfortunately,  Hump got upset by the MSU kid, which mathematically eliminated OSU from the team title. 

Of course Caldwell surprisingly comes out and beats the crap out of Mefcalf.  It wasn't even close and ended Caldwell's 50+ win streak.   Needless to say we were being loud and obnoxious about it in the middle of the  Iowa section, since they booed Reese and all.    And when Metcalf assaulted Caldwell at the end of the match,  we let IOWA fan know.    We were over the top and yelling, DQ him and throw him out.   Iowa fan was mad at the loss, and they didn't like the obnoxious OSU fans in their section cheering Mefcalf's demise and suggesting that they DQ their best wrestler.    Of course this would of took his points away and given OSU the national title.       After that,  a few angry Iowa fans got in my face and requested that we go sit in another section.  I think a guy was ready to throw down,  but noticed my 9 year old son, and backed off.  It was all pretty exciting. 

To finish, they did take a team point from Iowa for the unsportsmanlike, which gave OSU the possibility to win if Pucillo pinned Herbert.   But that's too much to ask and didn't happen.   We stayed in the Iowa section for the entirety, and received many awkward glances the rest of the night.     

The worst sportsmanship I've seen in the NCAA tournament was from Brent Metcalf vs Caldwell in the NCAA finals.    Brent Metcalf doesen't want to give his opponents the satisfaction of seeing him celebrate.  But he turns to the biggest Jackass when somebody beats him.    Not the best example of you most humble guy.

On a side note,  I was in attendance at the NCAA finals in St Louis that year, and by chance my tickets were in the Iowa section which was the largest section at the meet, so I  was surrounded by a lot of Black and Gold.   I was with my sons, one who was attending Ohio State at that time.  Note Iowa had a small lead going into the finals ahead of the Buckeyes, I think about 6.5 points.  OSU needed two wins from Reese Humphrey and Pucillo (who wrestled Herbert) to pass Iowa and also  needed Metcalf to lose to win the National title.   My son's girlfriend was roommates with Hump's girlfriend, so Reese and him hung out and were  buddies.    We had our OSU gear on and were pulling for Hump.   When Hump was up, the whole Iowa section, gave him the a very loud boo and we took it personally.   We didn't like it and let some of the Iowa fans know.   But unfortunately,  Hump got upset by the MSU kid, which mathematically eliminated OSU from the team title. 

Of course Caldwell surprisingly comes out and beats the crap out of Mefcalf.  It wasn't even close and ended Caldwell's 50+ win streak.   Needless to say we were being loud and obnoxious about it in the middle of the  Iowa section, since they booed Reese and all.    And when Metcalf assaulted Caldwell at the end of the match,  we let IOWA fan know.    We were over the top and yelling, DQ him and throw him out.   Iowa fan was mad at the loss, and they didn't like the obnoxious OSU fans in their section cheering Mefcalf's demise and suggesting that they DQ their best wrestler.    Of course this would of took his points away and given OSU the national title.       After that,  a few angry Iowa fans got in my face and requested that we go sit in another section.  I think a guy was ready to throw down,  but noticed my 9 year old son, and backed off.  It was all pretty exciting. 

To finish, they did take a team point from Iowa for the unsportsmanlike, which gave OSU the possibility to win if Pucillo pinned Herbert.   But that's too much to ask and didn't happen.   We stayed in the Iowa section for the entirety, and received many awkward glances the rest of the night.     

So.... in the middle of your explanation about Metcalf's poor sportsmanship, you make mention of your own?  That's a cool story, bro, but what's your point???

CJ just became a 4x undefeated state champion. Acting as if it were another match is plain ludicrous. None of you on here have ever come close to accomplishing that, therefore, you do not understand how it feels. Another problem is that a lot of you believe that your OPINIONS are facts, which is not true. The "proper behavior" after winning is a matter of OPINION. So for some of you to get on here and bash a 17 year old kid who just won his 183rd consecutive match and 4th state title because he celebrated really bugs me. Just because CJ's behavior is not in correlation with your OPINION on how to win, does not give you the right to say it is wrong. Someone can just as easily say doing nothing after a win of that magnitude is wrong. That is the beauty of life, you can live how you feel is correct. Congratulations to CJ. You earned it.

Is it then your opinion that allyourbase can't have an opinion?

Edited by vito pepperelli

quote-i-think-that-if-you-go-through-lif

agreed

did you see lee and pruitt and rypels interview after the matches???  DULL!  rypel is a great wrestler and everything, but i don't want to hear about his mom, or how his team helped him or what he did for his team or what they did for him.  SNORE!!  

i loved when red, sr ran in front of the camera and flashed the "four" and struck a pose and how the other new pal coach taunted the fans.  EXCITING!!  show me the rule book that says its just about the kids.  should have given him the mic.  i bet he had some exciting stuff to say.  other coaches need to watch him.  he knows how to make wrestling exciting.  need more triple h attitude out there.

So.... in the middle of your explanation about Metcalf's poor sportsmanship, you make mention of your own?  That's a cool story, bro, but what's your point???

No point really.  It was a Segway to get out a good story.       Maybe bad sportsmanship in some eyes,  but we were supporting our team. Similar to most fans you see at a Colts game.    We also didn't go out and shove anybody.      

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

agreed

did you see lee and pruitt and rypels interview after the matches???  DULL!  rypel is a great wrestler and everything, but i don't want to hear about his mom, or how his team helped him or what he did for his team or what they did for him.  SNORE!!  

i loved when red, sr ran in front of the camera and flashed the "four" and struck a pose and how the other new pal coach taunted the fans.  EXCITING!!  show me the rule book that says its just about the kids.  should have given him the mic.  i bet he had some exciting stuff to say.  other coaches need to watch him.  he knows how to make wrestling exciting.  need more triple h attitude out there.

I don't think anyone is defending CR SR's actions.

No point really, It was a Segway to get out a good story.       Maybe bad sportsmanship in some eyes,  but we were supporting our team. Similar to most fans you see at a Colts game.    We also didn't go out and shove anybody.      

Did you say Colts?  I'm from the Region my friend.  There's only one NFL team worthy of discussion - Da Bears  :)

Did you say Colts?  I'm from the Region my friend.  There's only one NFL team worthy of discussion - Da Bears  :)

Love Soldier field, and da Bears fans.  Nobody's more loud and obnoxious as dem.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

You know I sat and watched the match. I listened to adults jeer at a kid and chant Lee's name. I even listened to people from my son's team chant Lee's name and then say I don't know either one of them, but I just don't want Red to win. I watched this forum light up about wanting to see Red lose. Now we start a thread about humility. I wonder where the humility was in the crowd when the Lee chant started? I wonder where the humility was when people were screaming at Red Sr. as he was walking back to the locker room area after the match. How much jeering is an high school kid supposed to take from adults before he reacts to them? take a look at this definition from wikipedia and think about how true this might be.

"Crab mentality, sometimes referred to as crabs in the bucket, is a way of thinking best described by the phrase, "if I can't have it, neither can you." The metaphor refers to a bucket or pot of crabs. Individually, the crabs could easily escape from the pot, but instead they grab at each other in a useless "king of the hill" competition which prevents any from escaping and ensures their collective demise.[2][3][4] The analogy in human behavior is claimed to be that members of a group will attempt to negate or diminish the importance of any member who achieves success beyond the others, out of envy, spite, conspiracy, or competitive feelings, to halt their progress."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.