Indiana modern day best wrestler

rdrodd1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA3xR81yTNI

I believe that Lance Ellis is the about the best there could ever be but Chad Red is great and has proven it.  I think that the Lee boys will be knocking at the door for a long time. Mauer and Coughlin are right there.  In my simple, old, mind I think that in Indiana wrestling Andrew Howe is still the best.  An old friend of mine told me to watch him, when he puts a hand on you, he doesn't stop until he does something to you and when he does, it is not good.  My nephew had the pleasure of wrestling him at Freestyle State at the Fairgrounds and shot in on a double, drove him all the way across the mat. Seemed to kind of upset him and he took out his anger on my Nephew.  It wasn't pretty.  Other than Howe's only loss in his first State Finals, Andrew Howe has been a stud.      Other then Howe, I would have to put up Mike Breeden from Mooresville in 1978 but I wouldn't expect too many would remember that one.   

While Lance Ellis will always be mentioned in the conversation of "best ever", I think it now has to go to Cj. Beating another kid who could easily have won 4 titles, had he not ran into two number 1 nationally ranked wrestlers. Also due to his national level success. Chad has won pretty much ever national tournament there is, and did it this past year or two without dropping a single match. Chad hasn't lost for well over a year, even in the national stage. These creditionals make it a pretty easy choice for me.

As far as High Sdhool goes I think Ellis gets it because he dominated everyone he stepped on the mat with and back then you didn't wrestle 35-40 or more matches during a season. Red is right there with him though and still has college and beyond to conquer and I will be cheering him on as long as he does not wrestle Lee because I will always cheer for an Evansville/Southwestern Indiana wrestler.

I don't know how you can leave Nick Lee off this list. He will more than likely end his high school career with (2) losses. One as a freshman to the number one ranked senior in he he nation at the time. IMO every one mentioned would have lost that matchup as a freshman as well. The second one as a junior to the number one ranked wrestler in the nation again. I think you are kidding yourself if you watched that match and don't think Red and Lee aren't even. The difference is that Lee is only a junior and will only get better next year. Assuming only two career losses, both as underclass man to the number one ranked kids in the nation.

I don't know how you can leave Nick Lee off this list. He will more than likely end his high school career with (2) losses. One as a freshman to the number one ranked senior in he he nation at the time. IMO every one mentioned would have lost that matchup as a freshman as well. The second one as a junior to the number one ranked wrestler in the nation again. I think you are kidding yourself if you watched that match and don't think Red and Lee aren't even. The difference is that Lee is only a junior and will only get better next year. Assuming only two career losses, both as underclass man to the number one ranked kids in the nation.

i concur..He is Def up there

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

No disrespect, but I don't see how you put him above Red, Ellis, Tsirtsis or a few others.   It is an era and timing question.   I'm an Ellis guy, but I graduated in 92'.  You can only wrestle what is put out in front of you or what you go after. Which brings up if it was a question of who has bigger stones, I would favor Nick Lee over many if not all.  He went after one of the best ever and put it all on the line.  And that my friend is the title as a wrestler that I would want most!

Lee is a true champion indeed. But if the question is about best modern high schooler, imo we would have to ask ourselves who was the most ready for the next level while still in high school. With that being said I think it would be hard to argue against Howe who wrestled for a championship as a true freshman. Then we have Tsirtis (Jason ) who won as a redshirt. And Angel that aa as a redshirt. I remember watching those guys thinking that they were surely ready. I get the same inkling watching RED. I think his mat wrestling is far and above any of the aforementioned guys at the high school level (howe had a phenomenal stand up) and that will translate into early success at the next level. I also think he has more wins over the countries best than the others. Jmo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.