Best Match Ever

wrealwrestler101

It looks like my theme today is "the best." The recent IHSAA State Finals sparked many questions in my head, and while Chad Red and Nick Lee tore the house down Saturday night, it makes me wonder what everyone has in their mind as the best high school match they have ever seen. This weekend garnered two match of the year candidates, Chad Red v. Nick Lee, and Drew Hildebrandt v. Blake Glogouski.

In terms of some of the best matches I've ever seen though (Didn't witness Vega/Schaefer unfortunately), I'll give a quick rundown of my top five.

5. Reece Humphrey (Lawrence North) vs. Andrew Howe (Hanover Central) - 2005 IHSAA State Finals - 130 lb. Championship 

4. Chad Red (New Palestine) vs. Nick Lee (Evansville Mater Dei) - 2016 IHSAA State Finals - 132 lb. Championship

3. Andrew Howe (Hanover Central) vs. Nick Walpole (Perry Meridian) - 2006 IHSAA State Semifinals - 140 lb. - One of the most underrated matches ever.

2. Blake Maurer (Evansville Mater Dei) vs. Alex Dolly (Mishawaka) - 2003 IHSAA State Finals - 171 lb. Championship

1. Paul Petrov (Hanover Central) vs. Brenden Campbell (New Castle) - 2012 IHSAA State Finals - 120 lb. Championship - About as perfect of a championship match you can ask for.

It looks like my theme today is "the best." The recent IHSAA State Finals sparked many questions in my head, and while Chad Red and Nick Lee tore the house down Saturday night, it makes me wonder what everyone has in their mind as the best high school match they have ever seen. This weekend garnered two match of the year candidates, Chad Red v. Nick Lee, and Drew Hildebrandt v. Blake Glogouski.

In terms of some of the best matches I've ever seen though (Didn't witness Vega/Schaefer unfortunately), I'll give a quick rundown of my top five.

5. Reece Humphrey (Lawrence North) vs. Andrew Howe (Hanover Central) - 2005 IHSAA State Finals - 130 lb. Championship 

4. Chad Red (New Palestine) vs. Nick Lee (Evansville Mater Dei) - 2016 IHSAA State Finals - 132 lb. Championship

3. Andrew Howe (Hanover Central) vs. Nick Walpole (Perry Meridian) - 2006 IHSAA State Semifinals - 140 lb. - One of the most underrated matches ever.

2. Blake Maurer (Evansville Mater Dei) vs. Alex Dolly (Mishawaka) - 2003 IHSAA State Finals - 171 lb. Championship

1. Paul Petrov (Hanover Central) vs. Brenden Campbell (New Castle) - 2012 IHSAA State Finals - 120 lb. Championship - About as perfect of a championship match you can ask for.

I have to put Red vs Lee at number 1 for me because of the hype that was surrounding the match during the buildup. Also because of the importance of the match to the career statistics of Red. 

Harper/Carr was unbelievable.

6'8" awkward Jason Fryar of Whiteland hitting the first lateral I ever saw him throw in the final seconds to earn a shocking comeback over future NCAA all-american Wagner of FW Snider as the final match of the weekend in 2000 was almost unfathomable.

There have probably been 30+ threads asking for a video of Petrov/Cambell and you were holding out on everybody this whole time?

I've only been to the state finals for 6 years but Petrov/Campbell is by far the best match I have seen.

Edited by Caleb Spires

There seems to be a recipe for excitement with these "best matches ever": underdog takes a big lead--usually through a big move--before the favorite storms back for a thrilling come-from-behind win.  Examples: Petrov over Campbell, Red over Lee...also this past weekend, Hildebrandt over Glogouski and Cummings over Turner

Not a finals match, I believe quarters in 1990 - Brandon Ingalls vs Pat ??? (can't remember last name right now) of Elkhart Memorial. Elkhart Memorial kid was #1 & undefeated if I remember correctly. Match ended 1-0 with constant action the whole time. I was about 13 when I watched this so my perspective may be a little off. That along with Maurer/Dolly are the best matches I have been fortunate enough to witness.

There seems to be a recipe for excitement with these "best matches ever": underdog takes a big lead--usually through a big move--before the favorite storms back for a thrilling come-from-behind win.  Examples: Petrov over Campbell, Red over Lee...also this past weekend, Hildebrandt over Glogouski and Cummings over Turner

I'm not sure I'd call Campbell the underdog. I think they were both pretty darn equal.

In one of the two most legendary non-state matches (the other being Rosbottom vs. Jankowski), this is returning state placer Andrew Bradbury (a senior) wrestling returning state champion Josh Birge (a senior) in the round to go at Merrillville at 119 in 1999.  Bradbury sends the champ packing in a wild 13-12 decision.  The match happened because Bradbury had to wrestle eventual state champ Ramos at regional.  He would go on to place 2nd to Ramos at state.

Edited by maligned

Some of these epic matches, major rivalries, and legendary videos seem like they could be the makings of a nice set of future webpage articles. "The Story Behind The Match" Series. Love hearing the background information that build up to the matches and I'm sure their are some good first hand accounts from some people that were close to the action.

In one of the two most legendary non-state matches (the other being Rosbottom vs. Jankowski), this is returning state placer Andrew Bradbury (a senior) wrestling returning state champion Josh Birge (a senior) in the round to go at Merrillville at 119 in 1999.  Bradbury sends the champ packing in a wild 13-12 decision.  The match happened because Bradbury had to wrestle eventual state champ Ramos at regional.  He would go on to place 2nd to Ramos at state.

Speaking of Birge....the year he won over the kid from Vincennes Lincoln is my favorite match.  High scoring and had a throw here and there if I remember correctly

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.