Best wrestler to never win State

wrealwrestler101

ill give Matt jaggers a mention too..211-13 went into the state finals 55-0 two years straight..Losing a GREAT match to sheets 7-6 his jr placing 7th..was undefeated before running into Angel in the finals..he teched or pinned everybody but Brandon Gonzalez such he bumped up from 25 to 35 to get a good match..he beat Brandon in a awesome match kbrandon placed 5th or 6th at 35)..matt was a 4x Sq,3x placer (5th,7th,2nd),3x SS champion and Eventual KOTC WORLD CHAMPION...

also Terrell. Coatie of Perry and New Castle pinned State champ Danny Williams and decisioned Runner Up Conkling before being upset by a VERY GOOD tim ortiz of belmont where he placed 5th..

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Alan Grammer (Evansville Reitz) was a three-time NCAA Division II wrestling All-American for SIUE, won individual national titles in 1985 and 1986. He earned All-American honors two other times by placing third in the 1985 NCAA Division I Nationals and fifth in the 1986 NCAA Division I Nationals. Grammer's career record at SIUE was 119-17-1.

He also beat a guy named John Smith - da red head was Mitty tough back in da day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjd8aNm3Atw

http://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA%201985.pdf

http://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA%201986.pdf

To take some of the subjectivity out of this debate..

Who has beaten the most State Champions in their high school career but did not win state?

I see a lot of guys mentioned above who were very good high school wrestlers with multiple state medals, but never beat anyone who won it all.  I think to be on the list you had to have beaten several guys who were good enough to win it all.  

I'll throw Aaron Sessa's name in the hat.  Wins over State Champions Brennan Cosgrove, Fernando Martinez, and Javier Salas in his career.

Who else?

Edited by RegionRoyalty

Who has beaten the most State Champions in their high school career but did not win state?

I see a lot of guys mentioned above who were very good high school wrestlers with multiple state medals, but never beat anyone who won it all.  I think to be on the list you had to have beaten several guys who were good enough to win it all.  

I'll throw Aaron Sessa's name in the hat.  Wins over State Champions Brennan Cosgrove, Fernando Martinez, and Javier Salas in his career.

Who else?

I believe Jeff Pease has five stop signs.

Who else?

Does something like this count in your list?  Wrestler A (senior) defeats Wrestler B (freshman)  Wrestler B goes on to win state as a Senior, Wrestler A never won a title.  Does that count as beating a State Champ?  Or does it have to be the same year they won it?

Does something like this count in your list?  Wrestler A (senior) defeats Wrestler B (freshman)  Wrestler B goes on to win state as a Senior, Wrestler A never won a title.  Does that count as beating a State Champ?  Or does it have to be the same year they won it?

I would count it in your scenario.

Brendan Campbell beat Jared McKinley, Brian Harvey and Mason Todd (some multiple times), and I think he may have beaten DeAndre Wilson as well.

right you are...Connor Mullins not winning a state title still baffles me...Was a VERY accomplished youth and HS wrestler...

kevin got runner up twice didn't he?

Not sure Kevin Head was runner-up twice, maybe once losing to Deters from Castle his sophomore year; don't think he made the finals again. Kevin lost his junior year to Robbie Leavitt in semis. His brother Rusty lost in finals to Kelvin Jackson I believe his senior year. I could be wrong on both, but grew up wrestling against Kevin, he was a great wrestler for sure.

Edited by Coach Duncan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.