Best wrestler to never win State

wrealwrestler101

Little biased here... But you gotta throw in Vinny Corsaro & Breyden Bailey. Two of the best wrestlers I've ever coached. Vinny's a 5th or 6th placer I believe & a 3x runner-up. Bailey has 4 career losses, one by an out of state wrestler, the other three were all in the semis at state giving him 3x third places. Hopefully we can take him off this list next year. 

A stellar career, no doubt about it. Is there any way I can watch the 2011 or 2012 finals? I'd really like to see the 2011 finals match and replay the 2012 match.

You can order the finals on DVD from IHSAA.  Also, there is a great trivia question in that Campbell went 42-0 and did not win state.

Alan Grammer (Evansville Reitz) was a three-time NCAA Division II wrestling All-American for SIUE, won individual national titles in 1985 and 1986. He earned All-American honors two other times by placing third in the 1985 NCAA Division I Nationals and fifth in the 1986 NCAA Division I Nationals. Grammer's career record at SIUE was 119-17-1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjd8aNm3Atw

http://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA%201985.pdf

http://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA%201986.pdf

He was undefeated, had rarely been tested, and was favored to win it at 130. Specifically, he would have been favored against the freshman Blake Maurer. But Nick Hobbs of Beech Grove was wrestling out of his mind all weekend and wrestled an unbelievable match against Bobby that took him out in overtime in the semi's. Maurer then won a very exciting 3-2 decision over Hobbs in the final to launch his epic state finals career.

And Maurer needed OT to beat Nick Koons in the quarters

And Maurer needed OT to beat Nick Koons in the quarters

That's true, but he had a number of close matches that first year.  I think he would have lost because he hadn't faced anybody with the strength/speed/technique combo that Bobby Joe had.  Maurer wasn't a fantastic athlete that first year with his 14 or 15-year-old body, and I think Maldonado would have been able to finish scores that others couldn't against him.  Maldonado's loss to Hobbs was a jaw-dropper that you couldn't believe was happening if you'd seen them both wrestle as much as many of us had.  He got a very borderline tilt and a very borderline takedown and did just enough otherwise to survive and advance in a shocker.  And now Bobby Joe is on this list and Maurer is on another kind of list.

Gaige Torres definitely needs to be mentioned.  2x runner-up with losses to Chad Redd and Brock Hudkins.  Nothing to be ashamed of.  Who knows how he would have done his sophomore year if it wasn't for the controversial dq illegal slam at semi state.  Great career.

Red won 120 that year, so we pretty much already know what would have happened...

I think Elliott Molloy was pretty good too the only problem being Chad Red and he had Nick Lee in the semis of semi state which gave him a bad draw/choke on Friday night. Maybe not a state champ but still a very good wrestler

Idk if Chad Red and Nick Lee were his only problem after the Rumph match. That kid will be a force.

First name that came to my mind was Mac Taylor from New Castle

Edit:  looks like I wasn't the only one

Mac Taylor

I wrestled with a kid at Yorktown back in the mid 90s, Chris Eckman, who was a 2 or 3x medalist.  If that kid would have done any club wrestling (he focused on Track more than anything) he would have been an animal, but he never wrestled in the off-season.

Edited by Forrester

Another vote for Brendan Campbell. Could have won as a freshman before getting hurt, had Ayersman on the ropes his junior year, and held a lead over Petrov before (or at least it looked like to me, as his intensity slowed down and you can see him waving his finger at one point before giving up his last takedown) he got hurt in the third period. Great career that could have been even better

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.