Best wrestler to never win State

wrealwrestler101

Tread lightly there maligned! That statement can be considered blasphemous to the EMD faithful.

All joking aside, yes Bobby Joe was definitely very good, 4x Qualifier, 4th as a Frosh, Runner Up at a stacked weight class his Junior year, lost to Alex Ramos. His Senior year, well that is one that still makes my stomach churn thinking about it.

whats the story behind his senior year?

whats the story behind his senior year?

He was undefeated, had rarely been tested, and was favored to win it at 130.   Specifically, he would have been favored against the freshman Blake Maurer.   But Nick Hobbs of Beech Grove was wrestling out of his mind all weekend and wrestled an unbelievable match against Bobby that took him out in overtime in the semi's.   Maurer then won a very exciting 3-2 decision over Hobbs in the final to launch his epic state finals career. 

Edited by maligned

Baker is one i forgot about. He was a very good technical wrestler. What places did he finish his career with?

Baker got 3rd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th

Was a heavy favorite and had 3 wins over that year's State Champ (Jason Woodson) as a senior, but was upset by sophomore (future State Champ) Heath VanDeventer in the Quarter-finals

On a slightly different note, I would like to nominate previous Mater Dei wrestler and current Gibson Southern coach Noah Schweitzer as the best wrestler in Indiana history to never wrestle in the post-season. For the entirety of his high school wrestling career, he found himself plagued by either an especially at his weight class, by a massive weight cut, or both. He WON the ISWA state twice while in high school defeating Preston Mantel for one championship and majoring the elder Glogouski for the second one. This really has not been said before and I felt as though it probably should. 

Depending on if this is strictly high school or if it goes further into college I would say Riley Lefever of Carroll. He lost once senior year in the state finals, but has since moved on to win 2 DIII titles at Wabash

Edited by aSnyder14

Antoine Neal from Lawrence North. Had to see him to understand what a stud

Antoine was awesome, but he was snakebit in the Semi-State.  I do not know if I would say he is the best to never win State, b ut by far he was the best never to advance to the State.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.