Best wrestler to never win State

wrealwrestler101

After watching Steven "Bam" Lawrence's career come to an end this Saturday (a valiant one I must add), it made me wonder, who are some of the best to never win state? I know this topic comes up frequently each year, but would anyone add Bam to the list?

A few that come to mind immediately are Craig Macke, Tyler Willis, Vincent Corsaro, Brandon James, and the aforementioned Lawrence.

After watching Steven "Bam" Lawrence's career come to an end this Saturday (a valiant one I must add), it made me wonder, who are some of the best to never win state? I know this topic comes up frequently each year, but would anyone add Bam to the list?

A few that come to mind immediately are Craig Macke, Tyler Willis, Vincent Corsaro, Brandon James, and the aforementioned Lawrence.

nothing against pruitt, but i loved bam's intensity.  one of the more fun kids to watch.

Campbell had an explosion of a match in 2012 with Petrov. One of the best I've ever seen.

His match against Ayersman was equally as good. Undefeated as a freshman before having to have his appendix removed the week of regional his freshman year. He had beaten the 106 champ, Phillips, multiple times as they were very close friends.

Campbell finished 42-0 as a freshman, 54-2 as a sophomore (placed third, beating Jared McKinley 10-5). As a junior he went 54-1, losing only in the final to Kyle Ayersman in OT, 10-8. As a senior he finished 53-3 and lost to Paul Petrov in the championship 14-11.

Overall he was 203-6 with a third and two seconds.

His match against Ayersman was equally as good. Undefeated as a freshman before having to have his appendix removed the week of regional his freshman year. He had beaten the 106 champ, Phillips, multiple times as they were very close friends.

Campbell finished 42-0 as a freshman, 54-2 as a sophomore (placed third, beating Jared McKinley 10-5). As a junior he went 54-1, losing only in the final to Kyle Ayersman in OT, 10-8. As a senior he finished 53-3 and lost to Paul Petrov in the championship 14-11.

Overall he was 203-6 with a third and two seconds.

A stellar career, no doubt about it. Is there any way I can watch the 2011 or 2012 finals? I'd really like to see the 2011 finals match and replay the 2012 match.

While he still has one more year to win one, and I hope that he does. If he doesn't, Breydan Bailey will have tot be thrown into this discussion so far 4 losses in his carrer. One out of state, and three in the state semifinals. A 3x sectional, regional, and semistate champion and also a 3x 3rd placer at state. Still hope for the best for him and hope he can finally break through the cursed semifinals and take home a title. 

A little biased but, Bobby Joe and Timmy Maldonado

Tim was fun to watch too, but Bobby is a member of this list for sure--no bias on that one.  If Hobbs hadn't wrestled the match of his life, I think Maurer would not have been on the 4-timer list and Bobby would not be on this list.

Tim was fun to watch too, but Bobby is a member of this list for sure--no bias on that one.  If Hobbs hadn't wrestled the match of his life, I think Maurer would not have been on the 4-timer list and Bobby would not be on this list.

Tread lightly there maligned! That statement can be considered blasphemous to the EMD faithful.

All joking aside, yes Bobby Joe was definitely very good, 4x Qualifier, 4th as a Frosh, Runner Up at a stacked weight class his Junior year, lost to Alex Ramos. His Senior year, well that is one that still makes my stomach churn thinking about it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.