2016 Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic Team Indiana Roster

Y2CJ41

I have soft commitments from 13 wrestlers, just awaiting firm commitments from coaches and wrestlers after they check schedules and such. I will announce the team as we get those.

So far we have

Main Event

132lbs Chad Red of New Palestine

285lbs Shawn Streck of Merrillville

Team Indiana vs. WPIAL

113lbs Geoffrey Davis of Fort Wayne Wayne

120lbs STATE CHAMPION Drew Hildebrandt of Penn

126lbs Gaige Torres of Portage

132lbs Owen Doster of New Haven 

138lbs Evan Eldred of Westfield

145lbs Jordan Vaughn of Franklin Central

152lbs Steven BAM Lawrence of Portage

160lbs Cael McCormick of Yorktown

170lbs STATE CHAMPION Drew Hughes of Lowell

182lbs STATE CHAMPION Blake Rypel of Cathedral

195lbs STATE CHAMPION Jake Kleimola of Lake Central

220lbs Nick Fox of Carmel

285lbs Sean Galligar of Columbus East

Coaches
Ed "the animal" Pendoski

Leroy "keeper of the flame" Vega

Chris "Double C" Cooper

I have soft commitments from 13 wrestlers, just awaiting firm commitments from coaches and wrestlers after they check schedules and such. I will announce the team as we get those.

So far we have

Main Event

132lbs Chad Red of New Palestine

285lbs Shawn Streck of Merrillville

Team Indiana vs. WPIAL

132lbs Owen Doster of New Haven 

195lbs STATE CHAMPION Jake Kleimola of Lake Central

220lbs Sam Hipple of Carmel

285lbs Sean Galligar of Columbus East

Coaches

Ed "the animal" Pendoski

Any relation to George "The Animal" Steele

georgesteele.jpg

I assume this is the Dapper Dan you are talking about? Illinois went last year and it was 1st class all the way. They run things right in PA. If you are asked to be on this team it would be a big mistake to pass it up. Good Luck.

Yes this was formerly called the Dapper Dan, they changed a couple associations this year. It's a great event and I'm excited to have the guys going. It's going to be a very good team.

Sorry.  I'm genuinely trying to understand the context.  Obviously, individuals being selected for the US vs. PA main event is an unbelievable accomplishment.  And Indiana participating in the co-main event is very special.  But I had been under the impression that Indiana was selected for the team part based on merit to some degree.  I was looking through results, though, and it seems we're the 13th different state in 13 years to be selected and all the other states near us have already done it except Kentucky.  It's incredibly special because of how big of an event it is and how rarely we would be invited, but isn't it more an "opportunity" rather than an accomplishment, per se (lesser wrestling states Maryland and Texas have already gone, for example)?  Maybe I misunderstood some of the description from the beginning and no one had suggested the team invite was on merit.  Anyway, really not trying to diminish anything...just trying to get context.  I knew nothing about the state vs. regional all-stars component until it was announced that we were selected.  Thanks!

Sorry.  I'm genuinely trying to understand the context.  Obviously, individuals being selected for the US vs. PA main event is an unbelievable accomplishment.  And Indiana participating in the co-main event is very special.  But I had been under the impression that Indiana was selected for the team part based on merit to some degree.  I was looking through results, though, and it seems we're the 13th different state in 13 years to be selected and all the other states near us have already done it except Kentucky.  It's incredibly special because of how big of an event it is and how rarely we would be invited, but isn't it more an "opportunity" rather than an accomplishment, per se (lesser wrestling states Maryland and Texas have already gone, for example)?  Maybe I misunderstood some of the description from the beginning and no one had suggested the team invite was on merit.  Anyway, really not trying to diminish anything...just trying to get context.  I knew nothing about the state vs. regional all-stars component until it was announced that we were selected.  Thanks!

Indiana has NEVER participated as a team in this event. The invitation to attend comes from many factors with the potential strength of the team as one of them. They also need a sponsor that will cover some of the costs related and organize the team along with other factors such as how many times a state has been invited. The biggest reason I pursued this was because we have a fantastic senior class and I wanted to "show them off" on one of the biggest stages.

Indiana has NEVER participated as a team in this event. The invitation to attend comes from many factors with the potential strength of the team as one of them. They also need a sponsor that will cover some of the costs related and organize the team along with other factors such as how many times a state has been invited. The biggest reason I pursued this was because we have a fantastic senior class and I wanted to "show them off" on one of the biggest stages.

Ok...that's awesome.  I didn't realize it took some legwork, so to speak, to make it happen.  Thanks for all you've done to make it happen!

This is a great venue to "show them off", and it looks like you are putting together a really good team that will represent Indiana well. I appreciate (sure I'm not the only one) your effort to get our Indiana kids to opportunity to shine.

Leroy "keeper of the flame" Vega

Good Flo documentary on Minnisota by the way.  Vega contributions to the programs rise did get a little recognition in a portion of Part 3.

Edited by MattM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.