• Jacob Covaciu- Merrillville
    • Jake Kleimola- Lake Central
    • Keyaun Murphy- Warren Centr
    • Kobe Woods- Penn
    • Matt McKinney- Warren Central
    • Shawn Streck- Merrillville
    • Steven Lawrence- Portage
    • Trent Pruitt- Warren Central

We are once again voting for Mr. Gorilla. The fan vote is worth two votes.

Here is the criteria:
The criteria for selection will be left intentionally vague as we want a variety of opinions as to who the voters think is the best wrestler. Some general criteria that can be considered is listed here:
1. Must be a senior
2. Undefeated/fewest losses. A midseason loss would not disqualify a wrestler.
3. Domination. Number of pins, tech falls
4. Level of competition.
5. Body of work previous to senior year. State and national resume.
6. Character
7. Grades

Man, tough call this year.  I've got it narrowed down to Hughes (who was dominant), Streck, Covaciu, Rypel, and Red.

Ultimately I have to go with Red.  He capped of an undefeated High School career with his 4th title, beating a nationally ranked opponent in the finals.  The others I've listed are very deserving, Rypel and Streck most notably.  That said, it's pretty much impossible to top Red's accomplishment.

Edited by Forrester

Depends on how you weigh the criteria. Are you the coach who makes his best players a captain regardless of everything else?

We had a two time champ and three time finalist win the mental attitude award.

I looked at academic all state and only saw a few guys on that list. Kleiomola and Hildrebrandt? Maybe I missed some. Looked quickly

I looked at academic all state and only saw a few guys on that list. Kleiomola and Hildrebrandt? Maybe I missed some. Looked quickly

To get on the list your coach has to be a members of the Coaches Association and also remember to submit the grade info before the deadline.  In certain cases one or both of these items may have prevented a seniors listed above from making Academic All-State despite that student having a high academic rating.    

Great job to Kleiomola and Hilderbrandt though for being leaders in the classroom, as well as, on the mat.

Edited by MattM

To get on the list your coach has to be a members of the Coaches Association and also remember to submit the grade info before the deadline.  In certain cases one or both of these items may have prevented a seniors listed above from making the list despite that person having a high academic rating.    

Great job to Kleiomola and Hilderbrandt though for being leaders in the classroom, as well as, on the mat.

Thanks for that correction.  I did not know that. I'm sure there are many more who deserve the recognition.  

Depends on how you weigh the criteria. Are you the coach who makes his best players a captain regardless of everything else?

We had a two time champ and three time finalist win the mental attitude award.

Mote is on that list as well.

This is a crazy strong year but there is still a clear cut winner in my eyes.  Honestly there are 4 who it could be argued "deserve" the award

RED

Hughes, Streck, Rypel.

Hudkins Covaciu

Everyone else