132 Classic

digninrk

I wish CJ had shook hands before celebrating. I have no problem with celebrating a state title let alone a 4x undefeated HS career but just wish he would have done it after the handshake and after his hand was raised. But he is still a kid and his emotions were high after the match so I can understand it.

All that being said what a phenomenal wrestling match! It absolutely lived up to the hype with both wrestlers getting put to their back. Amazing! Hats off to both wrestlers. You are both champions and wrestled like it on Saturday.

Well i guess im too "old school" to relate to the antics that happened at the end of the match. I was always taught to act like a respectful contestent win or lose. My coaches and Dad always said when you win a match dont disrespect the sport...school...opponent and when you lose dont do it either. If i felt the need to celebrate i did it amongst my teammates out of the spot lights. I wish Red the best, but i think he has a lot of growing up to do.

It was a great match.  I personally wanted Red to win because what he accomplished was so rare.  The sport needs legends and hype to build and grow and inspire.  I was impressed by Lee at Semistate and at State much respect for going after Red and wrestling him tough.  Two great young men.  We get to watch Lee for another year!!

I watched the video and Red wrestled smart moving the action to the edge of the mat.  A technique many over the years have gotten on to Mater Dei about.  Lee looked better on his feet.  Red looked dominant in the third period, but in my opinion, Lee looked tired.  I think the conditioning of not being out there all year caught up with him in the third period.  As for Red's celebration, I don't blame the kid.  Should he of waited till after shaking hands, sure.  But, when your role model is the one making the biggest scene, what do you expect?  It is a classic case of Dad living through his son.  The Dad was out of line, but it is what it is.  The way Lee handled himself was something any Dad could look at and show his son that is the way a man handles himself.

Well i guess im too "old school" to relate to the antics that happened at the end of the match. I was always taught to act like a respectful contestent win or lose. My coaches and Dad always said when you win a match dont disrespect the sport...school...opponent and when you lose dont do it either. If i felt the need to celebrate i did it amongst my teammates out of the spot lights. I wish Red the best, but i think he has a lot of growing up to do.

Or he can continue with being full of energy, with supreme confidence in himself and go on to have a great future. You know just differing opinions and all.

Awesome match. Loved every minute of it. Congrats to both wrestlers. As for the "best of all time" argument that people are making for red I say this, I never witnessed a match where Alex tsirsis or angel Escobedo coasted to "feel out" their opponent. And I for sure never witnessed either of them getting taken down, let alone dumped to their back. But maybe it's better this way for the spectators. Man what a match. Pick neutral Lee!

Awesome match. Loved every minute of it. Congrats to both wrestlers. As for the "best of all time" argument that people are making for red I say this, I never witnessed a match where Alex tsirsis or angel Escobedo coasted to "feel out" their opponent. And I for sure never witnessed either of them getting taken down, let alone dumped to their back. But maybe it's better this way for the spectators.

I have seen Angel Escobedo at state finals roll around on his back for over a minute trying not to get stuck. I cant even remember who he was wrestling. Im not sure if I have ever seen a match with as much talent as these two kids have. I could see multiple NCAA championships from both these wrestlers in the future.

This type of match is what makes Indiana wrestling great! 

I have seen Angel Escobedo at state finals roll around on his back for over a minute trying not to get stuck. I cant even remember who he was wrestling. Im not sure if I have ever seen a match with as much talent as these two kids have. I could see multiple NCAA championships from both these wrestlers in the future.

This type of match is what makes Indiana wrestling great! 

Would that be the Shane Perky match?  Angel was a blast to watch.  It was like he would decide before hand on what technique he was going to drill during a match.

Commentating with my brother on the floor, we both came to the conclusion that this was the equivalent of a title fight. The crowd noise was unequaled, and in the 20 years we had been going to the tournament, we had never heard that big of a pro-Mater Dei crowd before. 

Now about the match. It was everything we hoped for and more. Both wrestlers had an edge in the match and it was just brilliant to see two wrestlers master what they do. Lee is going to be amazing for the Penn State program in a few years, and Red will do great things as a Husker.

It was fun commentating on TrackWrestling for this one, one of the best matches I've ever covered. Congratulations to both guys.

The crowd noise was unequaled, and in the 20 years we had been going to the tournament, we had never heard that big of a pro-Mater Dei crowd before. 

That is what was so confusing to me.

The way Red conducts himself is generally not my cup of tea, but the other option was to cheer on a Mater Dei wrestler.

What to do? Cheer for them both?

Cheer against them both?

I sat back and enjoyed some great wrestling!

Sounded like it was a pro-Lee crowd, but Red did still get a lot of cheers once he got the victory.

Pretty good match and hopefully that caught the attention of a bunch of young wrestlers. Maybe it'll fuel them to work hard to get under the lights and help make Indiana a better wrestling community in all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.