132 Classic

digninrk

I've been around this sport for a long time and I've never seen Banker's Life have that kind of atmosphere - it was just awesome to be a part of it. I was "Team Lee" before the match and despite the outcome, I'm still "Team Lee" - he's an outstanding technical wrestler and is just pure class. He now has 2 losses - Micic & Red - the simple fact that he could walk into the room and choose what weight he wants to wrestle and those are where he chose to go says all that needs to be said about Nick Lee - he knew the risks and rewards and he chose to go after it - I'd take that kind of fight in the wrestling room every time. This fine young man will continue to do great things - us fans are the lucky ones along for the ride.

Chad Red has been wowing us for four years - again - us fans were the lucky ones. I've been lucky enough to witness the careers of 5 out of 9 4xers - becoming a 4 x state champion is not a fluke - you earn that one match at a time. Congrats to Chad Red - you've joined an elite list. Good luck in your NCAA wrestling career.

Am I the only one already planning my trip to the Big10 Championships for a rematch?!?

Edited by MatChick76

You can re-watch the match as track has it as a video on its homepage....Lee was on his back for may 1 second?  Red was on his back for maybe 3 seconds?  

Great match,,,Lee got caught out of position and Red capitalized.  Lee shouldn't have picked bottom in the third....exciting match.  Hope they meet again in college

I re-watched the match and both wrestlers were on their backs for 1 second.   I guess when you get the two best kids in the state, near fall rules change.   Not the best officiating here.  Red rolled through a couple of times, but at most he was only square for less than a second.    Lee was only there a sec also.   If you watch the refs hand,  his second   count is occurring when Lee is on his side.   I might put this in the  book as a make up call.    At least the ref was consistent.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

I re-watched the match and both wrestlers were on their backs for 1 second. I guess when you get the two best kids in the state, near fall rules change. Not the best officiating here. Red rolled through a couple of times, but at most he was only square for less than a second. Lee was only there a sec also. If you watch the refs hand, his second count is occurring when Lee is on his side. I might put this in the book as a make up call. At least the ref was consistent.

I was cheering for Lee as loud as anyone else and in real time thought there was no near fall for Red, but after rewatching it on Track, that was definitely two swipes.

The score of the match, 6-5, is the correct score. I must have missed the bad officiating there.

I have no gripe with the officiating of this match. Please remember that an official has to make his calls in the moment. He does not have the luxury of stopping the match & going to the video. The biggest thing to remember is that on any close call, there is no way to satisfy everyone. Any close call is going to have those that agree & those that don't.

Next, I don't want to get caught up into how someone celebrates. Whether an athlete's celebration is disrespectful to his opponent or not is a matter of opinion. And as the old saying goes - opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one & they all stink.

Lastly, I would like to discuss what actually matters - the wrestling we were privileged to see. IMO (& many of you will believe it stinks) Lee appeared the better wrestler on their feet. He got to Red's legs multiple times & actually had 2-3 scoring opportunities that he missed. I believe there was at least 2 times were he had the takedown 99% complete & relaxed ever so slightly & that was all Red needed to prevent the finish. Red, IMO, was clearly the better wrestler on the mat. His 3rd period ride of Lee & Lee's inability to ride Red was the difference. Lee will have to improve this part of his game against top level competition to truly succeed at the college level. Saying that I have complete confidence that he will be able to, especially given his college coach will be Cael Sanderson.

When I was watching on my computer I thought that one of the refs was signalling fleeing as the camera was trying to follow chad off of the mat. Ot would have been fun Too. Great match!

Fun yes but fair? No way. Watch the match again, Chad releases Nick with :01 on the clock and :00 he is still in the center circle. Fleeing the mat? Ha! It appears people are grasping straws, either selfishly so they would have gotten to enjoy some more great wrestling or they picked a side and their guy didn't prevail. Match was incredible and both studs put each other on their backs. I agree with most, 12,602 fans got their $8.00 worth on that match alone.

Agree completely with SIAC. Said all weekend Nick had trouble turning guys, so he cut and took them down 10 times. Chad definitely better on mat. Surprised by choosing down in 3rd, seems with his success getting to legs they would have went neutral. something I'm sure he'll be working on over the summer, I could see him going over the match in his head there on the podium. but yes lets talk about the wrestling I don't think anyone on here would want someone talking about their child the way some on here have about not just this match but many others over the years. sure we all disagree on how someone should handle any given situation but saying it out loud, sometimes we should bite our lip and keep it to ourselves.

In retrospect it's easy to say Lee should have taken neutral but assuming he does take Red down, he still has to ride him the rest of the period just to take it to over time. Something tells me Lee doesn't get ridden for two minutes straight often so he probably expected to get an escape and still have half a period to get either a takedown or stalling to take it to over time. I knew Red was good on the mat, but I sure wasn't expecting him to hold him down the whole period.

In retrospect it's easy to say Lee should have taken neutral but assuming he does take Red down, he still has to ride him the rest of the period just to take it to over time. Something tells me Lee doesn't get ridden for two minutes straight often so he probably expected to get an escape and still have half a period to get either a takedown or stalling to take it to over time. I knew Red was good on the mat, but I sure wasn't expecting him to hold him down the whole period.

good point...

This was about the two wrestlers on the mat not the parents/coach.  Congrats to Chad Red and I don't blame him for being excited.  The "Kid" just won his fourth state title and just completed an undefeated High School career.  On top of that he beat an exceptionally good wrestler in front of a crowd that seemed to want him to lose.  Sometimes I think we forget these are high school students and not grown men.  Nick Lee will still have a outstanding career and I look forward to seeing these two on the mat competing against each other in college.

What was chilling...was a little group behind Lee s dad started chanting...Lets go Lee...and about the third time all the sudden the whole house was chanting it.

I heard this and a few moments later the side I was on erupted in " Let's go CJ" chants.. great atmosphere

My take on the match -- Both nearfalls were equally quick in my mind, but I really feel like at the worst they would cancel each other out. So, I would say they were called consistently which is all I ever ask of a referee.

As for the post-match celebration -- I don't fault Chad Red Jr one bit. Sure, he did "flee the mat" but it was to run and show appreciation to his hometown section (and family) which was going nuts. In a normal dual meet, maybe a ref calls something, but in this case, absolutely no way. He might be a little more "Terrell Owens" and less "Barry Sanders" in his celebration techniques, and you may have an opinion on which of those you prefer. But completing a career with a classic match like that, I don't doubt that the adrenaline was pumping and it was all in good fun and not directed at the other wrestler.

The one thing I did see that I didn't like was New Palestine's assistant coach looking up a the Mater Dei crowd and giving them a "Shhhhh".  Don't see how you can blame a hometown crowd for cheering wildly for their native son.  Again, I don't mind celebration at all, but see no reason in that moment to feel like you have to grandstand to the (very worthy) opponent -- should have focused on celebrating Chad rather than denigrating fans.

I'm happy I was there to witness one of the most exciting matches I've seen.  I hope both of these young men adapt to college life, studies, and wrestling and continue to achieve high levels of success in the pursuit of their dreams.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.