285 State Finals - #1 Shawn Streck (Merrillville) vs. #6 Robert Samuels (Lawrence North)

KarlHungus

The second Samuels (from Lawrence North, not The Old Testament) has a nice list of accomplishments, but he might have to wait a year to add IHSAA champ to that list.

Shawn wats this now, he wants it fast, and he wants people to stick around to see it.

Samuels brought his A game and surprised Streck.   If he could of held Steck on his back after that lateral,  we would of have the upset of the decade, and 2/3 of the fans would have missed it.   Too bad Streck couldn't have enjoyed the moment more and gave credit to his opponent.   Looked like Maldonado had a heated   discussion with Streck after the match trying to convince himhe just one the state title, because Streck sure didn't look very happy about it.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

One of my last impressions was from Streck's interview - "not good enough." He'd just won a state championship and he was already dissecting his failures in the match. Purdue is lucky to be getting him - their football team might make a run with that kind of work ethic in the locker room :)

We'll have to agree to disagree. Streck's actions after the match was a very poor showing of sportsmanship. His coach thought so, that is why you saw the heated discussion.

I understand that Streck did not like that Samuels was able to take him to his back, but to describe his actions after that point as tremendous work ethic rather than poor sportsmanship is wrong IMO. Streck held Samuels head to the mat with his forearm for the last several seconds of the match then shoved his head into the mat with his hand after time expired. Then his behavior immediately following was deplorable & his own coach gave he an earful for it.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Streck's actions after the match was a very poor showing of sportsmanship. His coach thought so, that is why you saw the heated discussion.

I understand that Streck did not like that Samuels was able to take him to his back, but to describe his actions after that point as tremendous work ethic rather than poor sportsmanship is wrong IMO. Streck held Samuels head to the mat with his forearm for the last several seconds of the match then shoved his head into the mat with his hand after time expired. Then his behavior immediately following was deplorable & his own coach gave he an earful for it.

I agree with this.  Streck, like the rest of us believed he was invincible.   He didn't like being pushed to the edge.    In comparison,  Rypel was expected to dominate,  but had a tough match. But he was happy and grateful,  and he gave the most polished classy interview at the end.     Does that mean Rypel is not as hungry and  satisfied?

I have to agree to disagree as well. I don't understand why the whistle was blown after Shawns first TD attempt. The entire match he was in control with the exception of that lateral. Even after the lateral he escaped and took him down again. Samuels was on his stomach dam near 5/6min of the match with his head down. I can see the frustration, and his emotions got the best of him, but when you set such high expectations for yourself its hard to deal with not accomplishing them.  idk maybe I was seeing the match from a different angle.

I have to agree to disagree as well. I don't understand why the whistle was blown after Shawns first TD attempt. The entire match he was in control with the exception of that lateral. Even after the lateral he escaped and took him down again. Samuels was on his stomach dam near 5/6min of the match with his head down. I can see the frustration, and his emotions got the best of him, but when you set such high expectations for yourself its hard to deal with not accomplishing them.  idk maybe I was seeing the match from a different angle.

I'm not sure who or what you are disagreeing with, but yes anyone who was paying attention could see the frustration. And I do not condemn Streck for letting his emotions get the best of him - it's human nature. I also want to be clear that I don't disagree with the thought that Streck has a tremendous work ethic. I would think he has to given all he has accomplished.

What I disagree with is the thought that his actions after the match were a display of that work ethic. What I saw was a display of anger & poor sportsmanship. And I also believe his own coach agrees. That is why what should have been a great & happy moment between the two at the end of an amazing wrestler's HS career became something else. It became a moment when the coach had to remind his wrestler to act with dignity. I was just very grateful that the coach recognized & acted accordingly.

I'm not sure who or what you are disagreeing with, but yes anyone who was paying attention could see the frustration. And I do not condemn Streck for letting his emotions get the best of him - it's human nature. I also want to be clear that I don't disagree with the thought that Streck has a tremendous work ethic. I would think he has to given all he has accomplished.

What I disagree with is the thought that his actions after the match were a display of that work ethic. What I saw was a display of anger & poor sportsmanship. And I also believe his own coach agrees. That is why what should have been a great & happy moment between the two at the end of an amazing wrestler's HS career became something else. It became a moment when the coach had to remind his wrestler to act with dignity. I was just very grateful that the coach recognized & acted accordingly.

When I said that, it was in the spirit of the idea that what I saw was a frustrated young man, who has spent years watching this board wish to see Streck "maul" somebody, upset because he didn't end his high school career with the dominance we've come to expect from him (and I suspect he's come to demand from himself).  I take nothing away from Samuels - it was a heck of a match - Streck could have handled his emotions better, but when he said "Not good enough." - he was clearly talking about himself and his mistakes...a funny little dig on Purdue's football team (they need all the help they can get)...

i owe everyone on this message board an apology. I looked selfish and ungrateful last night. Being frustrated is no reason to act the way I did. I apologize and appreciate the support through out my careere. Thank you

Very classy Shawn! Keep on keeping on. Know that even though I graduated from IU, Thomas and I will be watching Purdue wrestling the next several years!

i owe everyone on this message board an apology. I looked selfish and ungrateful last night. Being frustrated is no reason to act the way I did. I apologize and appreciate the support through out my careere. Thank you

Class act. Congrats Shawn and good luck at Purdue!

Very nice.

Mr. Streck,

I am a fan of Indiana HS wrestling & wish nothing but the best for you. Even though I am one who has criticized your actions on this board, I want you to know that I do not believe those actions define you. You are human & as such will make mistakes. I know that I have & will again in the future. I will leave you with one thought - it is not your mistakes that define you, it is how you deal with those mistakes going forward that matter most. It is clear that you have dealt with this mistake extremely well.

One last thing - Congratulations on your 2nd title & good luck to you!

Lawrence North has something special in the younger of the two Samuels brothers. He didn't look nervous or fearful, which is a difficult task when you are wrestling such a monster of a man. Not to mention the kid has a nasty lat drop. Congratulations to both wrestlers for a nice match, and to Shawn for clinching his second title.

It was a great match.  I look forward to watching Mr. Streck manhandle some big uglies in the Big 10.

As great of a match as it was -- it would have been even better had they pushed the 132 match to the end and there was a full crowd of 12,000 screaming lunatics present for the heavyweight battle!  This was no heavyweight dance-a-thon.  This match was 2 incredibly athletic beasts hammering on each other for 6 minutes.  They deserved better than the meager audience that remained for their show of skill.

If you *still* believe we should end every year with the heavyweights instead of a "showcase" match of the coach's choice, I can't see how you cling to that opinion.  Streck and Samuels deserved better

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.