160 State Finals - #7 Burk Van Horn (Franklin) vs. #1 Jake Covaciu (Merrillville)

KarlHungus

I was at a meet in Martinsville a couple of years ago when Burk was a freshman talking to a guy next to me.  I made a comment that I was wondering if the Van Horn's would ever stop reproducing.  Seems like these kids have been wrecking havoc on midwest Indiana for about 15 years or so. The young kid next to me happened to be one of Van Horn's brothers and he started laughing and assured me that Burk was the last of them.  I am sure that the cycle will begin again in the near future. Great job Burk and look forward to see you climbing the ladder to the top in the near future.  PS....You guys need some new singlets. 

Actually, Burk wore Franklin's new singlet in his win against Warren earlier in the day, but for some reason opted to wear one of the older ones under the lights . . .

See, he may be a little old school too, like Coach Hasseman.

Speaking of Coach Hasseman, I imagine he spends more time caring about the wrestler in the singlet than the singlet on the wrestler...

Heck, I was at a tourney last year and that old Coach Hasseman was reffing.  My little knucklehead Mikey was wrestling and doing some kind of crazy stuff.  He was only 5 and Hassman asked "Who is teaching this kid how to wrestle"?  I pointed at Tonte.  He just laughed.  What a great coach you guys have.  Wouldn't want to go through his workouts though. 

Heck, I was at a tourney last year and that old Coach Hasseman was reffing.  My little knucklehead Mikey was wrestling and doing some kind of crazy stuff.  He was only 5 and Hassman asked "Who is teaching this kid how to wrestle"?  I pointed at Tonte.  He just laughed.  What a great coach you guys have.  Wouldn't want to go through his workouts though. 

Thank you. Coach Hasseman came to Franklin thirty years ago and accepted the challenge of building a program that to that point hadn't had very much success. Franklin is still not a very big high school (around 1,600) but his hard work (and, perhaps, hard head . . .) has paid off.

While there have been a few of his high school wrestlers (and maybe even a ref or two) that he has "gently nurtured" from the sidelines, it is a hoot to watch him with the little kids in Franklin's club.

I doubt he visits the forum much . . . His dial-up webernet thingy is probably too much of a hassle . . .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.