106 State Finals - #3 Murphy (Warren Central) vs. Garcia (Avon)

KarlHungus

Murphy will come in as the favorite with his 43-2 record and #3 state ranking.

Murphy has already defeated Garcia twice this year.  1-0 and a 41 second pin,

Garcia has caught fire since getting 2nd last week in Evansville.  

Garcia has beaten Walendzak of Cathedral, Curtis of Yorktown and Cavanaugh of Penn to run his record to 35-6.

Murphy has defeated Casebolt of Castle, Wells of Jimtown and MIlls of Brownsburg.  Mills was last year's runner up.

Murphy's record is 43-2.

Edited by KarlHungus

Congrats Asa what a ride it's been this year.I wasn't there for all of it but the parts I got to see have been exciting as it gets. Congrats on being the first Freshmen Placer for Avon and our first state champ since Lynn Panko in 2005!!                                                              

and 4 of his losses were to Mills and 2 to Murphy

Edited by quinnsDAD

Question: Asa didn't win Sectional, Regional, or Semi-State. Is he the only State Champ this year to not be Sectional, Regional, or Semi-State champ? How many times has this happened over the years?

Last I can remember was Steve Stahl from Elkhart memorial. I believe he lost to Ryan Konrath at Sectional, regional, and Semi-State, and went on to win it all.

Edited by NavyGonzo

Question: Asa didn't win Sectional, Regional, or Semi-State. Is he the only State Champ this year to not be Sectional, Regional, or Semi-State champ? How many times has this happened over the years?

Steve Stahl is a recent one. Even more interesting was that his opponent in the finals Marcus Shrewsbury beat Stahl's nemesis Ryan Konrath in the quarters and Stahl beat Shrewsbury's nemesis Jake Salas in the quarters. Also that season Stahl beat Bellmont's Billy Baker in the ticket round...Baker went on to win state the next year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.