Region Finalist!

julio

Ok I don't want to stir the pot but how come you guys "claim" all these Lowell guys as being your region guys when they are winning and dominating but when someone asks you guys what you consider the region in other posts it turns into a 3-5 page post about what the true region is and it only includes Whiting, EC, Hammond and Gary ?  I am from Lowell and grew up thinking I was from the region and went to college down here in Indy and was always teased/harrassed about my accent as being a region guy so I believe Lowell, Merrillville and Portage are part of the region. I just find it funny sometimes how adamant some people on this board get about what is the "True" region and then try to use kids from what they consider outside the "true region" to be part of what they want to claim for success.  Again don't get offended just asking.

There are 2 Regions. Da Region which is north lake county such as Hammond, East Chicago, Gary, and Whiting. Then there is The Region which is Lake and Porter county because of school and sport rivalry.

Have to agree with JMILL... From my outside perspective, it almost seems like people from the region decided one day that schools like Merriville, Portage, Lowell, etc. had good programs and were close enough to the original region that they just decided to add it in. I guess it will always just depend on whom you ask. Anyways, congrats on all the success you had this year.

There are 2 Regions. Da Region which is north lake county such as Hammond, East Chicago, Gary, and Whiting. Then there is The Region which is Lake and Porter county because of school and sport rivalry.

I want to have my cake & eat it too!

Take geography out of the equation. These kids train together.  They are all Region RATS!

I think wrestlers from the Region have 3 very distinct advantages:

1. A tradition of excellence - Escobedo, Howe, Tsirtis X 2, Micic.  Kids in the Region grew up emulating those guys and wanting to be the next great wrestler from the Region. 
  2. The Region Wrestling Academy.  That room is a who's who of talent and outstanding coaching.  Iron sharpens iron.  When you have a room full of state placers and champs, it's survival of the fittest. If Tucker and the Champagne's stayed to wrestle in Indiana, the Region would have added to the hardware this past weekend. 
  3. I think the ability of Region kids to travel across the state line and wrestle IKWF is a huge benefit. Instead of 8 in your bracket you might have 30. 
Edited by vito pepperelli

I always thought old region was the mill communities. I always looked at the region as the NWI times paper area. The wrestlers that would be selected to the old northeast Illinois and northwest Indiana bragging rights

Somebody was posting the other day that the "219" was the Region, Wikipedia shows the region being much larger than just Lake and Porter County.  If the region consists of the Times circulation area that would cover half of Jasper and Newton Counties as well.  Rensselaer has had several wrestlers take part in the braggin rights dual over the years.  I never considered Rensselaer to be part of the Region, but there are way too many defenitions.

Here is what typing in "the region" into a wikipedia search turned up:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Indiana

Edited by hogleg

I was always brought up to believe that the region was Lake Co.  Honestly when I was in school at Lowell Porter Co was not considered part of the region.  Whiting to Lowell and St John/Dyer to Hob"ert" (if you say Hoe"Bart") then you must live on wrong side of street and are part of Porter Co. 

Edited by JMILL

Correct. It was always a great event. The Times is down to about five full-timers in sports, only two of which are solely reporters. The Times also walked away from covering all Illinois schools except the Thornton Fractional schools.
The Sun-Times would be an outside shot, mainly because they own the Post-Tribune and now technically cover both sides of the border.

A non-newspaper might be the best bet still. Maybe RWA or someone can set it up. Obviously more easily said than done.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.