Upset of the night! Irick 3-1 over Davison in OT!

maligned

What does one have to do with the other? So if my brother throws 95 mph, I should throw something similar? Good win regardless, I thought Davidson would be wrestling Rypel tonight.

One has very little to do with anything regarding the other.  I understand part of your thought process, he comes from a wrestling family so there is something in his DNA that makes him a good wrestler.  But, just because his brother is good does not mean he is anywhere near being on the same level as Davidson.....except for last night.  I have been around the sport long enough to see one brother be a stud while the other would trip over the lines walking to the center of the mat.

Edited by hogleg

The #4 over #1 upset gets way overplayed typically.  It only happens about 5 times per year and most of them are very predictable.  It again happened 5 times this year.  The others were these:

unranked Donovan over unranked Wright...Donovan had already beaten Wright twice this year...predicted by many--not an upset

#7 Dilbeck over #8 Mejia...predicted by many--not an upset

#13 Goddard over #5 Baumgartner...they went to overtime earlier in the year...predicted by many--very, very mild upset

#17 McWilliams over #15 Perkins...predicted by many--very, very mild upset

But for #16 Irick to knock off #2 Davison--nationally ranked and many people's pick to upset Rypel and insert himself in the top 10 in the nation--that's a REAL upset.  I get the point about the pedigree and him probably being able to handle the limelight a little better because of his perspective--but I don't care if his brother is an olympic champion; Irick wrestled far above his normal level and something very unpredictable happened.

What does one have to do with the other? So if my brother throws 95 mph, I should throw something similar? Good win regardless, I thought Davidson would be wrestling Rypel tonight.

Good genetics, while his brothers in town probably a pretty good practice partner. Yes it's an upset, obviously a nationally ranked wrestler lost, but if you were to say one of the big Dawgs was going to get upset, its not surprising that it was to Irick, whose brother is a d1 wrestler, and he's a pretty good size on top of that, that's all I'm saying. Edited by NICfan

Davidson's dad was a 2 time all American and 2 time state champ, he has good DNA too, again, one has nothing to do with the other. Using your transative property, Davidson should have won, his dad was a better D1 wrestler.

I think the connection would be more an advantage in terms of:

Likely gaining entrance into the sport early.

Having access to more knowledge/technique.

Access to someone that can relate to the mental side of the sport along with other outside factors involved in the sport.

It doesn't guarantee success, but those factors that are result of being in a wrestling family helps improve your chances. Seems like both these guys at least had some access to those factors which has aided in their development.

Edited by MattM

Davidson is a great wrestler. Irick is looking pretty good himself. Yes, just because your family has success, doesn't mean you will, but it helps, especially when your close in age. Irick took 4th last week, but he's already won two matches this week. Last week he also had Jones and Rypel in his weight. All four from that ss placed. And 3 are in the semis. Pretty strong weight at that semistate.

Edited by NICfan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.