2016 Junior National Dual Team

Coach Hull

Your suggestions are great, but the ISWA makes $70,000+ on folkstyle state on entries alone. They ain't going to take away the sugar momma of the organization.

That's why they should run a JV state. 1 it increases the sale and membership of ISWA. 2 It gives you an audience (at state) to demo and Q & A Freestyle.  3. Kids are more likely to participate in Freestyle, because they all ready have a card because of JV State.  The numbers to that could be HUGE!  Not even counting if you hold 4 - 5 qualifiers around the state (that kids would have to go to 1 in order to go to state(could make it like a regional and take top 4 or so kids, but mostly the first few years I would suggest everyone to go).  They need to go to one of them in order to go to JV State. 

Little kids in Mid Jan.  JV State qualifiers around Regionals (take kids that didn't make it out of sectionals and JV kids) JV state week after ISWA State, maybe with middle school State (which means moving that up, it's in a bad time right now because it is around a lot of middle school conferences now). Get little kids wrestling Freestyle/Greco starting mid January.  For those that don't want to stop folkstyle can shift over to HYWAY. 

So if we get all of these studs, that means Nick Lee and Chad Red will both be on the "varsity" team and splitting time. I would love to hear the conversation, "Nick you can't beat this guy, I'm putting Chad in" or vice versa. 

At freestyle state coaches were "penciling in" kids for the team, one in particular who tech-falled his way through the field at an upper weight was being put on to the "second team" for Junior Duals behind a kid who hasn't wrestled a single freestyle event all season.

What?

The future "second teamer" actually beat the kid who he was being penciled in behind handily at scholastic duals a few weeks ago and according to his trackwrestling profile he has beat him in each of their meetings in the last year. If the "decision" holds the kid who appears to be the best wrestler will end up on the second team behind a kid he clearly has no problem beating when they have met in folkstyle and to top it off the first team kid apparently hasn't been to a freestyle event in a year and has no accolades to meet the criteria laid out for team selection earlier in this thread.

So how would this decision make any sense?  Does this really make a case for having the best team?

Respectfully, @carmelfan, please do not assume catching a glimpse at some notes penciled in on a scrap piece of paper was anything more than that - some notes penciled in on a scrap piece of paper.   There is a lot of interest in the trip and the Selection Committee is pilfering through fairness, results, prospects, coaches, families, programs, etc. in order to ultimately make the best decision for this year's team.  When the current official list is released, hopefully by Friday, there will be plenty of opportunity to pick it apart then.  Again, there are those that can and cannot make this trip, but whoever is fortunate enough to go will undoubtedly gain a great deal of experience and success. If everything comes together, we will also undoubtedly let the country know Indiana is for real on this level.  Standby everyone....

• 3 weeks later...

Was the team selected yet or should we assume that the team was chosen in a questionable manner or questionable participants were added and the organizers don't want the general public to know because they don't want any guff? The tournament is in about two weeks I believe. I spoke with one of this years freestyle state champs and he hasn't heard anything...

I believe the cadet and schoolboy teams are based upon order of finish at state.  This year with cadet duals being the same week as disney duals, probably will have a tough situation. 

Cadet duals > Disney Duals, everyday of the week.

I think your right but I would take him on my team there's not a better 220 in the state I don't care what style it is. If he wanted to be on it he would be there not a better 220 in the state or in that matter 99 percent of the country.

Gable Stevenson is a stud I'm not saying mason could beat him but would love to see the two wrestle.

Gable would destroy Mason, nothing against him but the edge Gable has with international styles puts him on a different level.

Never be that good??? Hahaha. One high school loss, the kid is a beast! He's 220 ripped! His dad says he hasnt grown any body hair yet, wait till some testosterone starts running through his body! Mason is a 3 sport athlete, every day he's training in one sport or another, not much time for freestyle. He will be a 3x State Champ and a free ride wherever he wants. Ill take 14 kids that are at this level and not very good!!

Never be that good??? Hahaha. One high school loss, the kid is a beast! He's 220 ripped! His dad says he hasnt grown any body hair yet, wait till some testosterone starts running through his body! Mason is a 3 sport athlete, every day he's training in one sport or another, not much time for freestyle. He will be a 3x State Champ and a free ride wherever he wants. Ill take 14 kids that are at this level and not very good!!

You obviously missed most of this topic. One person on here has told us how you can't be good unless you wrestle freestyle.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.