2016 Junior National Dual Team

Coach Hull

Read what I wrote again...I said whatever someone else says isn't good enough for them and they tear it down.

Maybe that was a slap in the face. I couldn't pick Dan Hatch out of a lineup (that's not intended to be a slam), but the next time I see Joe or Nick I may just do that...and they both know I'm joking...more or less.

I agree it is the ISWA's mess. I'm not deflecting anything. Let's try to fix it. In order to do that we need to be open to EVERYONE'S opinion, not just our own.

These 75 threads remind me of the old saying "When all is said and done, more is said than done."

I would send you a pick, but it would be easier to just look for the ugliest guy in the gym and good chance it is me.  I wanted to say it would be the guy beside me, but that would just not be true!

Most of the time when things are discussed there is less done than talked about, which is why it's talked about so time, money and effort isn't wasted on unfavorable ideas.  People are taking suggestions, ideas and advice as a personal attack.  As you say and many others ISWA is a mess and the first thing to do in a situation like that is to talk and hash things out, at times disagree to get to some better ground.  But I'm sure you are aware of this, you seem like a pretty bright guy!

Off tangent but sort of relevant to the issues..Does anybody know information concerning Tervel Dlagnev's appearance this weekend? Will he be doing a short clinic? If so, is there a specific time? Will he just be walking around for selfies with the kids? Considering there are staggered group starts, I'd like to be there for his appearance but honestly have no info and can't seem to find anything on the ISWA site other than he's supposed to attend.

Ahh the inevitable personal attack.  How predictable of you.

Here is one heck of a suggestion.

1.  Recognize the elephant in the room:  The two meet qualifier was a knee jerk decision to try financially support the local clubs.  Improving in the international styles had nothing to do with the decision as evidenced by Waivergate.   Like most knee jerk decisions, there are unintended consequences. (Waivergate, Midweek Mayhem, Studapalooza).  The ISWA must admit to this poor decision before moving on.

Maybe I have an agenda, maybe I am just a troll, or maybe, just maybe, I actually work with kids in the room at the grass roots and know how these decisions have crippled freestyle.

I think studapalooza is the best one I've seen. The kids on that list are either cadet national champions, runners-up or all-americans. you all reject that you have agendas (even though we have talked about people's kids not having a chance to go on this junior trip) I have also seen folks say that having 30 second matches does no one any good. So what is it, do you want Chad Red, the Lee's, et. al. to qualify for state, go to state and destroy your kids(i.e. take their hearts and rip them out of their chest because they are head and shoulders above talent wise) and make your kids not want to wrestle anymore? Come on guys we all know that those kids on the list have earned their spots by going to tournaments on the point list (which by the way hasn't changed much if at all from last year if memory serves me correctly) So leave the kids alone and have your stud wrestle for the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th spot on the team. That's what my kid is doing this weekend even though as a junior last year he placed 5th in IHSAA and 2nd at folkstyle state a weight up. He was on one of the cadet dual teams and just wasn't good enough last year for the junior team placing 3rd at freestyle state. That drove him to get better, and that is exactly what he has done. Instead of making excuses and whining he put his head down and found people to help move him ahead. I also did not allow him to make excuses nor did I tell him what bad luck he had because the ISWA did not "pick" him.

As for you BigDanTeague, I do not know you, but it looks like you moved to Florida to a classed system to then troll the Indiana board to tell us how bad Indiana wrestling is getting. Feel free to come on back to Indiana some time and throw your stud back in the mix.

I think studapalooza is the best one I've seen. The kids on that list are either cadet national champions, runners-up or all-americans. you all reject that you have agendas (even though we have talked about people's kids not having a chance to go on this junior trip) I have also seen folks say that having 30 second matches does no one any good. So what is it, do you want Chad Red, the Lee's, et. al. to qualify for state, go to state and destroy your kids(i.e. take their hearts and rip them out of their chest because they are head and shoulders above talent wise) and make your kids not want to wrestle anymore? Come on guys we all know that those kids on the list have earned their spots by going to tournaments on the point list (which by the way hasn't changed much if at all from last year if memory serves me correctly) So leave the kids alone and have your stud wrestle for the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th spot on the team. That's what my kid is doing this weekend even though as a junior last year he placed 5th in IHSAA and 2nd at folkstyle state a weight up. He was on one of the cadet dual teams and just wasn't good enough last year for the junior team placing 3rd at freestyle state. That drove him to get better, and that is exactly what he has done. Instead of making excuses and whining he put his head down and found people to help move him ahead. I also did not allow him to make excuses nor did I tell him what bad luck he had because the ISWA did not "pick" him.

As for you BigDanTeague, I do not know you, but it looks like you moved to Florida to a classed system to then troll the Indiana board to tell us how bad Indiana wrestling is getting. Feel free to come on back to Indiana some time and throw your stud back in the mix.

good-example-of-content.jpg

Now quit deflecting and get to work trying to bring freestyle back from the dead.

the 30 sec comment was in reference to local tournaments.  Those guys you speak of are some of the best in the state, but the ones right behind them still should get a chance at them, they are also pretty good.  Just last year Lee lost a match in ticket round, which happens that's why we wrestle.  That also probably helped him to even push himself to another level.  We have kids that are all American in Folkstyle that are pretty good and deserve an opportunity to compete with or against these kids. 

as far as your personal attack on bigdan, kind of doing the same thing you just ripped people for being.  That to me is not setting that great example you are boasting about and suggesting everyone else does.  Do you really think that just because we are on here making suggestions that might improve the numbers and voicing complaints doesn't mean that our wrestlers, both our own kids and kids we coach are just sitting beside us helping us type these.  At this moment my son is out working on his own with his head down to get better also. 

the 30 sec comment was in reference to local tournaments. Those guys you speak of are some of the best in the state, but the ones right behind them still should get a chance at them, they are also pretty good. Just last year Lee lost a match in ticket round, which happens that's why we wrestle. That also probably helped him to even push himself to another level. We have kids that are all American in Folkstyle that are pretty good and deserve an opportunity to compete with or against these kids.

as far as your personal attack on bigdan, kind of doing the same thing you just ripped people for being. That to me is not setting that great example you are boasting about and suggesting everyone else does. Do you really think that just because we are on here making suggestions that might improve the numbers and voicing complaints doesn't mean that our wrestlers, both our own kids and kids we coach are just sitting beside us helping us type these. At this moment my son is out working on his own with his head down to get better also.

They may not be helping you write it, but in most cases they are reading it! As far as suggestions to make things better, yes there have been a few, but far more of the comments have been disparaging against grecoref, coach hull and the iswa. If you don't like what is going on donate your time and become a memebr of the iswa board, be a local rep and show up at the meetings another way to say this is quit being a keyboard warrior and go forth and DO!

Ha! Great stuff, everyone!  Keep it up, whatever lane you are in. This really isn't the thread for opinions, more so for information, but I have a few minutes to touch on some things I have seen...

- Even though I was proud of being the only state champ representing Indiana, as I've grown I would prefer Indiana to go to individual class wrestling as well.  I think it would help get more kids wrestling and, to settle the score, have all the state champs of however many classes compete in an All-Star meet.  I know some wouldn't because they don't want to risk losing that prestige, but either way if more kids and schools could win state or even have a shot at winning state, more kids would participate.  But that's not my cause....

- The ISWA State Champion DOES have the first rite of refusal to be on the BLUE Freestyle team and or Greco team.  It's still fair for those who participate at state.  We are just adding another team of committee selected kids to go contend for a title: the Gold Team.  All kids essentially have a shot.  Filling two teams is definitely ***NO NO NO***ious as filling one in the past is tough enough...and there are some that want to see me personally fail....but I don't mind failing at the risk of raised expectations.  Aim for the stars and at least you'll hit the clouds.

- The list of kids names on the first post of this thread are Indiana kids who provide seeding points per the criteria of the tournament....which is why you don't see Mason Parris or Blake Rypel.  These aren't necessarily our best kids on the above list, just the ones who give us seeding points.

- The personal attacks,which many could argue exist or do not exist, are more entertainment for me than anything.  I like Hull's Heroes.  It has a ring to to it.  I don't take offense to that as he may not have been trying to be offensive.  I do feel there are a select few who have a personal beef with me or the ISWA, and that's fine as that is their right AND not my problem. Again, looking at the bright side (since no one ever went blind doing it) people are just passionate about their beliefs.  That's all.  I still haven't personally met a Trump enthusiast, although I would like to, not to hate but to understand.  I have too many issues of my own to judge anyone else, whether they judge me or not.  Plus, the more time I spend hating on someone else is the less time I have bettering myself...or Indiana wrestling for that matter.

- Folkstyle's dominance in Indiana isn't neccessarily the ISWA's fault.  The ISWA doesn't make any money from out of town national tournaments.  The ISWA does not set the national schedule.  Disney, Viper Pit Duals, ToC, Folkstyle Nationals, New Orleans, VA Beach, etc etc etc, do not reach out to consult with the ISWA on when they should have their tournament. Folkstyle is a nationwide pandemic and each state handles it differently.

- I am not  a numbers guy, although I'm sure some on here have the time to do it, but I'd like to see the Freestyle/Greco state participation over the past 10-20 years.  Many are new to this issue so they might not know, while others were present but didn't see it taking place, but we have a short memory.  I'd like to see that info if anyone has the time.......

- Speaking of short memory, as many anoint the RTCs as a savior for the international styles, people forget that I MADE/REQUIRED ALL RTCs to train in the international styles only!  Some people didn't like it then.  Some schools dropped out because they didn't want to do it, and others did it but grudgingly.  Both this change, and the new selection process for the Junior Dual, were made last year.  I knew making these changes that it was going to take a few years to catch on, so last year was a little rough, this year we got a little better, next year will be even better, so on and so forth.  

- We have some kids who are competing at UWW right before Junior Duals.  If they make the World Team and we miss out on them - AWESOME!  Glad one of our own made the team, for real.  This would be the only tournament I would not trip about our kids going to over the duals....IF, and only IF, they want to be the best. Now, some kids aren't training to be the best and go to Disney because it's more comfortable for them, they won't get murdered at Oklahoma, or it's more fun, they got invited, etc.  Whatever.  Do you.  To the kids that aren't ready for the Duals or are scared of that competition...I don't prefer those kids anyway.  If the UWW guys don't win, then this is the second tournament they are going to.  Again, Disney is great for team building, but Junior Duals is for individual development as far as school programs are concerned.  If they are going to Disney with their school, so be it.  The Disney All-Star teams though, no loyalty to a school program, but are going for the extra competition....those are kids I would be after because the best-of-the-best are in Oklahoma and not with Walt Disney.  But, again, waiting for the ISWA Freestyle State Tournament placers to decline or accept a week after the state tourney, when Disney, VA, and other events/ teams have had months to hawk our "best" kids, is another reason we changed up the selection process.  Plus, that kid who had to miss ISWA state because of prom, now gets a shot to represent our state too!  It's a win, win.

They may not be helping you write it, but in most cases they are reading it! As far as suggestions to make things better, yes there have been a few, but far more of the comments have been disparaging against grecoref, coach hull and the iswa. If you don't like what is going on donate your time and become a memebr of the iswa board, be a local rep and show up at the meetings another way to say this is quit being a keyboard warrior and go forth and DO!

Same ole Same ole. Deflect blame and dont change anything.  More passive aggressive blather.  Nothing to see here....move along.

Same ole Same ole. Deflect blame and dont change anything.  More passive aggressive blather.  Nothing to see here....move along.

So other than the ISWA admitting blame, what are your suggestions to correct the situation that we are in?

Same ole Same ole. Deflect blame and dont change anything. More passive aggressive blather. Nothing to see here....move along.

Yes God forbid you would do anything but cackle like an old hen behind the keyboard...wait sorry forgot you were whining from florida my bad enjoy your classes!

And back at you.....you are taunting and name calling a guy that lives in Florida because you have issue with his opinion.

The same answer as all the others........If you debate, issue or question about a ref or his call the answer is by saying become one and if you have a complaint or suggestion about ISWA you need to donate time or become a board member, but by their by-laws I do have a right to put forth my opinions. But I believe you even said you are a grassroots guy.  Same here I constantly am fighting for every inch to get help in our room, kids in our room and people/parents to contribute more than dropping off their kid. This is in all ages of our club.  So, feel free and come on over and give a hand since this is the common answer to everything.  My kid understands it because he wishes that he could do both, wrestle in these more elite national competitions and freestyle state. So, we had to make a choice no different than picking between to sports that are at the same time, like swimming and wrestling.  He is in great shape, practices all styles plus BJJ, and is now mixing in football on top of it and he is just a 2 sport kid. 

Sucks because these kids that are out there competing nationally now are getting criticized because of the choice that they decide to go to.  Really that is messed up!  Any kid that is still wrestling at this point and during the summer should NOT be punished for any choices they make as long as they are wrestling. Coach Hull's last statement was a good neutral statement until the last paragraph.  It's unfair, but as someone that is representing ISWA he shouldn't be blasting kids for making these choices, mostly the ones that are still working over the summer every year to get better.  Next, it will be time to blast the football players that choose to start workouts instead of wrestling at this point.  ISWA should be trying to recruit kids not chastise them.

Edited by warsawwrestling

So if we get all of these studs, that means Nick Lee and Chad Red will both be on the "varsity" team and splitting time. I would love to hear the conversation, "Nick you can't beat this guy, I'm putting Chad in" or vice versa. 

Maybe you could coach the other team? We could have Hull's Heroes and Joe's JV's.

@warsawwrestling...where did I chastise? I'm assuming when I talked about kids wrestling on Disney All-Star team versus Team Indiana at Junior Duals?

@Y2...I'm not sure what would be said between the two as that is up to the Coaches to determine who goes in where and against who.  What I have told parents and the like is the same thing I said on this board:  if we truly want to try and win AT THIS TOURNAMENT we need our best kids and they need to be fresh.  Brandon James is back in town so I'll use him as an example.  We all know BJ, super stud, nationally ranked for several years, wrestles D1 now, etc.  Pretty tough kid.  He flew in from Disney to Oklahoma and his first match was against a 2x FL state champ who I believe he had never beaten. It was a battle, but Brandon injured his ankle in that match.  He wrestled once or twice more but it swelled up like a softball.  Needless to say he didn't finish the tournament and we had to forfeit that weight.  This is Brandon James we are talking about.  

Every year, because of how tough this tournament is, we ALWAYS have guys banged up, especially when they are not ready for this caliber.  What I do know is the best states have multiple alternates and they are all good. Illinois had Josh Alber and Jared Cortez at the same weight one year, so we are talking two 4x state champions, both ranked #1 and #2 in the country.  I watch Minnesota, Oklahoma, Michigan, etc...all of the best states...and their kids don't have a problem with it when I inquire.  Their answer?  "It's for the state, so whoever they put in needs to be ready and handle business either way."  This is because they take PRIDE in this tournament and winning a team title.  We don't.  Watching their matches, or even just hearing their duals (as we are always on the other side of the gym in the other pool) they are FIRED UP!!!  It is passion, it is intense, and there are bragging rights on the line.  This is a culture of wrestling that INDIANA DOES NOT HAVE.....yet.  Are there kids who want alllllllllllll the matches?  Sure.  But when we are at this tournament, it is a team and it is all for the team...or state.  Exhibitions are available too.

Either way, look up the results of Junior Duals from past years.  Look at the states who are in the top 8, then look at the top 4.  Now, look at their line-ups and trackwrestling profles.  You'll see.  If we want to be the best then we must model ourselves after the best and try and do what they are doing.  We won't be able to do exactly what they are doing but, by modeling ourselves after the best, we in turn will create our own path towards greatness.  Same thing individually.  If the best of the best kids in the country are training and wrestling in the international styles all summer - then that is what I'm going to do IF I want to be the best in the country.  If I don't care or want to be the best in the country then I'll do what everyone else is doing....like wrestle folkstyle all year round.  Simple. Proven.

Another example: so as Indiana Pride Wrestling Academy continues to grow and build (aiming for Titan Mercury, NYAC, Sunkist, etc), with the ISWA State this weekend, there are no other local Freco tournaments available.  I HATE HATE HATE to start training Folkstyle on Monday with the little ones, so I am looking at other opportunities for our kids (K-12) to continue investing in these styles.  With that said, we are taking a contingent to Central Regionals and maybe even one more USAW Regional.  Still, after that, even fewer Olympic style tournaments are available for our young kids.  We train year-round so the topic came up to take a team to Grand River Rumble.  I heard it was a great event....but it's still too early for me to even BEGIN to think about Folkstyle.  Ewww.  The best older kids are still training Freco at this time as Fargo is right around that time, which is where I will be actually coaching Indiana's "best".  So, because we want to model ourselves after the best, and get them used to this lifestyle, I am probably nixing Grand River Rumble and instead taking our kids to USAW Kids Freestyle and Greco Nationals in Wisconsin.  If we can do both, we will, as Grand River is a great team tournament I hear.  But if I only had $1 to invest and look for the biggest payoff, I'm taking them to wrestle in the kids freestyle and greco nationals.  This seed we plant won't sprout immediately, and they have countless Folkstyle opportunities anyway, but by planting it now, continuing to water it and nurture it, this little seed will flourish into something beautiful.  Hope is not a strategy. We will take the proven path.

Edited by Coach Hull

So other than the ISWA admitting blame, what are your suggestions to correct the situation that we are in?

Step 1 - We admit that we have made serious mistakes that have threatened the viability of Freestyle wrestling in our state.  We further admit that continuing along the same path will cause more harm to the sport we love.  We further admit that blaming the bitchers and moaners, the carpers and complainers will do nothing but detract from our goal of improving wrestling in the state of Indiana.

My sponsor told me that until you do step one, all the other steps are a waste of time.

Yes God forbid you would do anything but cackle like an old hen behind the keyboard...wait sorry forgot you were whining from florida my bad enjoy your classes!

56359401d25bffc5846ca8d3a243039e4b957a26

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.  

FAWA (Florida Amateur Wrestling Association) does not have classes.  It is set up the same way the ISWA is.  I think you know this though.

Your non sequitur quip about classes is about as clever as your name calling.  I am rubber and you are glue, whatever you say bounces of me and sticks to you.

But seriously, freestyle needs some CPR, its about to flatline.

So the spiel we keep hearing how you MUST wrestle freestyle is all a wash if you are good enough.

What do you say to Larson who outplaced Woods at state and went 7-1 last year at the event? Obviously he is on the same level as Woods, but he's regulated to the JV team. Heck what do you say to Mason Parris who could be on the team and ran through state?

Don't get me started at 195 as even Blake Rypel would be pushed aside for Cavins. Cavins doesn't have to touch a wrestling mat until the bus leaves for Oklahoma City and gets a spot over Rypel....do you comprehend this?

So now you are calling kids out? NICE!!!

Saying that Blake is better is not really calling kids out. I would say there is substantial evidence to back this claim up.

I was thinking the same thing, these are facts from a tournament.  I didn't feel he was calling anyone out either, but am getting bored with the circle jerk of all of this.  A bunch of blaming, deferring and no one from ISWA is answering question just defending decisions.

@warsawwrestling...where did I chastise? I'm assuming when I talked about kids wrestling on Disney All-Star team versus Team Indiana at Junior Duals?

You are correct, it was in reference to that comment.  Last year Disney was the week after Junior Duals or right at the same time, if I remember correct.  There were a good chunk of national guys at this also, I believe that most of the kids on our team wrestled  1-2 state champs and/or a nationally ranked kid. This year Disney is earlier so I would even say there is a chance that the competition there might even be better, because kids might go to this before heading to Junior duals.  You had a better argument if you asked where did you blast them, because your more chastised and shamed them for choosing Disney over Junior Duals.  Sad part is that some of these kids could do both, but I'm not sure they will now. 

There seems to be a lot of ethical, questionable things going on behind the scenes.  I do feel this is getting blown out of proportion and is giving people a bad taste about all of us and the ISWA. I know that everyone that is posting for the most part are putting in their time to try to make all aspects of wrestling better.  Some peoples specialties are in different area's and your position is not an easy one by any means.  I get the feeling that it doesn't matter what anyone has to say or suggest to you because you think you have the answers and things in progress to solve the problem of the declining numbers. The part I fear is that it will end up being dumped on the coaches, clubs and all of us questioning the rules as the numbers continue to decline.  We (complainers as we have been referred as) are already being blamed for no wavers this year.  I am broken hearted for I fear your PRIDE of the belief you have things going the right way will be the continued decrease in Freestyle/Greco numbers and talent.

Now for the disclaimer because I know from you previous post that you are going to say something about this so let me cover it!  I am not saying everything the ISWA is doing is bad, hurting the sport or wrong to even try.  Some of the things and ideas you guys do are wonderful. You guys do a great job of getting great coaches to coach these Indiana teams and I think that ISWA does great at running big tournaments like (Folkstyle State). If you need me to continue about other great things you do than just say so and I will (I know you are going to say it doesn't matter to you, but I know it does as it should. I do a self inventory all the time and it is good to get feed back both ways).  The issues that I bring up are ones that I see affecting my small bubble, seems other have the same thing going on in their bubble.  You coach in a different area, an area with schools the size of some of our towns.  That to me is easily proven by how many clubs are around and in Indy, I can think of about 4-5 real good clubs. I, like you feel clubs/programs are started from the bottom up, which is why that is where you will find me in a few years. 

I plead to you to please take a long, hard, deep look at some of the things that have been brought up by a lot of us over the last few weeks.  We are not here to work against you, well I am not, but I feel ISWA needs to start thinking out of the box because not everything that works for others will work for all states and/or programs.  Just because another state is doing things a certain way is not a reason to stick with things that are not working in our state.  Maybe they have always done it that way or maybe when they changed to the way they are doing it now, it is better than the way it was before the change.  Like most relationships, all are different and different things work and succeed differently for different people, groups or state.

I'm going to keep copying and pasting this because I think what I have listed are viable options...

It's been said a couple of times already I think but if Freestyle is something the ISWA wants to get back to in Indiana, then the focus and push will need to change.  I think Freestyle is great.  Loved it back in the late 80's and early 90's...it helped develop me at a very fast rate.  But back then, that's all there was.  Part of the problem is they started changing the rules and just made it really stupid IMO.  I think it is back to being what it once was, but all the rule changes turned a lot of people off to it.

Having said that...here is my 2 cents to pushing Freestyle again:

1.  Folkstyle Season for PeeWee-Schoolboy's will be November and December.  Tournaments can start the beginning of November and end just before Christmas Break.  We don't need to have a state tournament...we have too many "state" and "national' tournaments.  Just wrestle.  If you want to have a state tournament, then make the local tournaments a qualifier for the final one in December.

2.  January to IHSAA State Finals- Training for freestyle/Greco technique and rules interpretation.  Train your officials and pairings people.  No tourneys.  It's a proven fact that our kids wrestle too much and don't practice enough.  Ask any other country in the world and they will tell you we do the exact opposite of what they do.  We do not get the results other countries do...hmmm.

3.  February - March: Freestyle/Greco tournaments only.  

4.  April - Freestyle and Greco State

5.  Late April - ??: Training and more training for those kids that make the Fargo teams or any other types of teams.

I'm still thinking through some things but those are some rough toughts.  I'm telling you right now, kids will train freestyle if they want to get better.  Those that don't, will see a noticeable difference in their HS seasons and they will get on board.  If they don't, they will get passed by.  

Thoughts??

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.