Will Indiana ever keep our top level kids in state? IU Purdue

pupp44

I watch the big 10 a lot on tv and it seems that most Penn State and Iowa kids are from Pennsylvania and Iowa. I would like to hear some opinions on IU and Purdue getting Indiana most elite! Is this possible or will they keep going to the power house schools? It feels like Indiana is producing some real talent and I would really love a Indiana school to start climbing to the top of the country in wrestling. I root for all Indiana boys in the NCAA, I really think it would be cool if more of them were on the same team!

If Blake Maurer,Alex Tsirtsis, Reece Humphrey, Escobedo, Hernandez, Coughlin were all on that team that would of been bada$$! I think Indiana/Purdue could have some killer teams and a huge fan base!

If Blake Maurer,Alex Tsirtsis, Reece Humphrey, Escobedo, Hernandez, Coughlin were all on that team that would of been bada$$! I think Indiana/Purdue could have some killer teams and a huge fan base!

I believe Escobedo, Hernandez, and Coughlin all went to IU.

Both schools have been recruiting some of our better talent for sure, but I can't disagree, they seem to miss the boat on the BEST talent.

I think Coach Ersland is on the right track and from speaking to him it seems as if he is more focused on local talent. Case in point, his 2016 recruiting class includes nationally ranked local boys Kobe Woods and the Purple Hulk, who will both be Boiler Wrestlers next year.

As far as IU, not sure if it will be Coach Goldman's last year or not, but either way last year they signed one of our better wrestlers in Mr. Tommy Cash and next season Blake Rypel will be a Hoosier wrestler.

Again, both schools have lots of examples of recruiting some Indiana's great state champs, who have went on to wrestle well at that level with some qualifying for the NCAA's and even some AA's (Welch's, Atwood, Quiroga, Fletcher Miller and Chalfant to just throw out recent names) but again, to your point I have to agree...what's it take to get the likes of T-shirts, Sliga, Micic, Red and the Lee's?

I think it's a matter of money   Penn State and Iowa invest huge money into those programs, of course it's circular, they bring in a lot too.  I believe IU and Purdue are the perfect schools to build a future D-1 dominate school   It's like building any program, complicated.    Look how quick Penn State got to the top after Coach Sanderson arrived.  How many HS kids in Pennsylvania would kill to wrestle for him.    

I think it's a matter of money Penn State and Iowa invest huge money into those programs, of course it's circular, they bring in a lot too. I believe IU and Purdue are the perfect schools to build a future D-1 dominate school It's like building any program, complicated. Look how quick Penn State got to the top after Coach Sanderson arrived. How many HS kids in Pennsylvania would kill to wrestle for him.

Penn state had the potential to be this powerhouse forever. They just needed a big time coach. Not only do they get the big recruits but they get great walk ons because of how solid Pennsylvania is. Indiana or Purdue can be good, but I do feel Iowa and Penn state have it easier from a recruiting standpoint.

But over the years, they have failed to keep guys like Howe, Tsirtsis (x2), Maurer, Micic and Humphrey.  That's 21 titles that left the state.  Red is leaving with his 3 (maybe 4) titles.  Nick Lee will be leaving with 2-3 titles.  If you can't keep these guys, how in the world will you be able to attract blue chippers from other states?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.