Nice Chad Red article in the Indy Star

MattM

Chad Red Jr/Sr both have displayed on several occasions acts not becoming of an coach and athlete that respects the sport and opponents. There is no denying that he's extremely talented and earned his ranking and place in Indiana wrestling history. The reason some fans don't care for him is because of his demeanor and lack of humbleness after winning matches. The Red's have the "ME" mentality. This isn't the first time they've acted like this and if you've followed them, you would know that.

Hopefully when Chad Red Jr attends NE that Coach Manning and Coach Burroughs change his attitude when it comes to respecting the sport of wrestling and opponents. Hopefully his current mental training doesn't affect his collegiate career because he's to talented not to be a multiple NCAA AA!

How does he not respect the sport? I'm pretty sure he loves the sport and is more grateful for the sport than most.

Well spoken. Couldn't agree more!

I get tired of these "lack of class" posts. The kid was probably the most excited he's ever been in his life. He has had to read for months how he was going to lose. The crowd chanted his opponents name. He was put flat on his back yet he bounced back. He overcame a hostile environment, an opponent that is one of the best in the nation and became a four time champ with an undefeated career in the process. Part of his success has always been his swag. It's not classless - it's just different from the norm. I for one love it that he is a free spirit that doesn't feel like he has to say all the right answers. He won, he silenced the doubters and he went out his way.

Edited by FWwrestling1996

I hate when people have fun in wrestling...they need to stop dimming the lights, playing music etc, we should probably move state to a regular gym like our wrestling gym. We also need to shake hands more preferably before each period. All this fun is making this sport way too exciting and different WHILST KILLLLING IT.

#youmonsters

I respect all you've done, what you do and your opinions on this board.  You certainly have a greater dedication to the sport than I or many, if not most people on this board.  That said, what you posted has ZERO relativity to the complaints about how Chad presents himself.  If I recall correctly, the next interview was with 138 lb Champ Brayton Lee, who you may be familiar with (yes, that is sarcasm!).  Lee trained w/ Red, and is obviously close to him as Chad wished him luck when it was his turn in the Introductions.  However, the way the two kids came across in their interviews was completely opposite.  You listened to Lee and even if you weren't rooting for him, you had to like him. 

I won't get into what Chad's dad did (I didn't see it), or Chad's running off the mat.  Maybe that bothered some, but that is instantaneous reaction and to me 100% justified.  But his interview is where I think he could improve and maybe that goes deeper than being coached how to speak in front of a mike and maybe not.  

Simply put, if Chad would inject appreciation, thankfulness, respect and a little humility post match, nearly everyone would have returned that appreciation tenfold (there will always be some detractors).  I think people wanted to hear that Chad Red, rather than the "I'm the Best", which is polarizing.  I know Chad isn't wrestling for all fans, and I'm sure he uses doubters to fuel him, but learning a little humility along the way is a good trait for all of us, whether we are the best or not. 

i know people will chastise it's inevitable but that swag comes from being the best look at guys like Mohammad Ali or even Terry Brands from terry that guy could use a lesson in humility but they were the best at what they did. It just feels like it's something that people that were rooting against him are pulling straws for to take away from his moment.

How many people were booing Chad before the finals when he was announced? First he's a high schooler so there is no reason to do that. Also, he was going for an undefeated career and a 4 time champ, what is there to boo him for. 99% of people on the forum don't like him and it's all based off of him dancing (showboating as some will say), post match interviews, and/or his dad. So people don't know Chad at all but will be so quick to judge and make up any reason possible to look down on him. Don't understand how so many people are so quick to "hate" on him.

i know people will chastise it's inevitable but that swag comes from being the best look at guys like Mohammad Ali or even Terry Brands from terry that guy could use a lesson in humility but they were the best at what they did. It just feels like it's something that people that were rooting against him are pulling straws for to take away from his moment.

That is the great thing about America; one can act as obnoxiously as one chooses. However, others also have the right to name, criticize and/or object to it.

Taunt, strut, brag and pose all you want. But when the chip gets knocked off your shoulder, save the crocodile tears.

It goes both ways.

Edited by hook and half

I remember a similar thread 4 years ago when Red did a backflip on the mat after winning and people were upset with it. 4 years later and not a single word is said about Brock Hudkins. By the way not a shot at Hudkins, as I have nothing but respect and great things to say about him.

i don't care how he acts...thats his prerogative.   I don't have to agree with it but its not for me to say how he or his father/coach act.  Doesn't take away from the fact he is still one of the best wrestlers ever to wrestle in high school in indiana or the u.s. for that matter.

i will also say coaches can do what they want to do also...even if they want to dab.

I agree and like you I could care less how people act.............. but in saying that ........the way they act causes the actions from the crowd towards them so that is why you see/hear the reaction .......it seems to work great for all the parties as this has been going on for all 4 years so great entertainment really ............

As for the dab by the coach ............That was the worst looking dab I have ever seen....CAM NEWTON called and said you are banned from ever doing that in public again..........But hey comedy is also very entertaining so again who cares people enjoy the entertainment it was well worth the admission price

Sorry did not do the quote process correct I guess...........

Edited by Bruins2013

People like Chad Red are the reason this sport is growing. If it wasn't for him wrestlers couldn't tell their friends how exciting wrestlers actually are. If they show them the video of CJ winning the match and standing on the ledge dancing, they will realize the sport may actually be fun to watch which help gets more people in the stands. I love what him and his father are doing for the sport, sadly we won't get any more of those celebrations in Bankers Life from CJ.

Sorry did not do the quote process correct I guess...........

I clearly can't dab....im not cam newton nor a 16 year old kid...lol...but if its what my kid wants to do to have fun and keep calm consider it done! :)

That is the great thing about America; one can act as obnoxiously as one chooses. However, others also have the right to name, criticize and/or object to it.

Taunt, strut, brag and pose all you want. But when the chip gets knocked off your shoulder, save the crocodile tears.

It goes both ways.

Go watch his loss to Brandon James at Flo Nationals...takes his loss gracefully, no tears, no complaining even congratulates Brandon on the victory before the hand raise...people pick and choose what they want to complain about history has shown us that chad red is one of the best and will remain a staple of what a champion is.

Chad Red Jr/Sr both have displayed on several occasions acts not becoming of an coach and athlete that respects the sport and opponents.  There is no denying that he's extremely talented and earned his ranking and place in Indiana wrestling history.  The reason some fans don't care for him is because of his demeanor and lack of humbleness after winning matches.  The Red's have the "ME" mentality.  This isn't the first time they've acted like this and if you've followed them, you would know that.

Hopefully when Chad Red Jr attends NE that Coach Manning and Coach Burroughs change his attitude when it comes to respecting the sport of wrestling and opponents.  Hopefully his current mental training doesn't affect  his collegiate career because he's to talented not to be a multiple NCAA AA!

Coach Manning and Coach Burroughs are probably excited to have a wrestler like Chad Red, and they want him to bring his energy and enthusiasm to the sport.   They'll be glad to see him celebrating after winning big matches for the Big Red and hope his attitude is contagious.   To say he doesn't respect the sport and his opponents is a joke.   meluvwrestling, I hope you take a step toward the 21st century and watch the NCAA finals.   You will see a lot of celebrating, joy and excitement from the winning wrestlers which you would call "ME" mentality.     ESPN will be happy about the celebration as they want fun and excitement to make their coverage interesting.    

I think its a valid comparison here,   but this sure sounds like the same line of criticism that Cam Newton, a famous black athlete, who was getting over criticized for his celebrations.   I also think the Cam Newton criticism was ridiculous and unfounded.

I clearly can't dab....im not cam newton nor a 16 year old kid...lol...but if its what my kid wants to do to have fun and keep calm consider it done! :)

Go watch his loss to Brandon James at Flo Nationals...takes his loss gracefully, no tears, no complaining even congratulates Brandon on the victory before the hand raise...people pick and choose what they want to complain about history has shown us that chad red is one of the best and will remain a staple of what a champion is.

But he still doesn't celebrate the way WE think he should.

I would venture to say that most of the "WE" out there wouldn't have followed up the next day by spending 12+ hrs at a youth tournament coaching kids and volunteering their time to help out the youth of tomorrow either like he did.  Kid is a class act and a nice person to talk to no matter if he knows you or not.  The last thing that most of the readers need to keep in mind is that he is still a KID, let him act like it if he choses.

I would venture to say that most of the "WE" out there wouldn't have followed up the next day by spending 12+ hrs at a youth tournament coaching kids and volunteering their time to help out the youth of tomorrow either like he did.  Kid is a class act and a nice person to talk to no matter if he knows you or not.  The last thing that most of the readers need to keep in mind is that he is still a KID, let him act like it if he choses.

WE don't care about that.  WE feel his actions are childish and he needs to be taught a lesson.  

*My last few posts are sarcastic representations of those that are trashing CR JR.

Remember what Bubba J said. Nebraska got a good one in Chad. He did it his way and good thing he did sometimes the message board gets boring.

I think Lee will be going into the better room at PSU.

Penn state is a great program. Sometimes it's about fit and not who your practice partners are. The Altons never reached their potential at PSU. I honestly feel the Lees would be great Hawkeyes Edited by ontherise219

Remember what Bubba J said. Nebraska got a good one in Chad. He did it his way and good thing he did sometimes the message board gets boring.

Penn state is a great program. Sometimes it's about fit and not who your practice partners are. The Altons never reached their potential at PSU. I honestly feel the Lees would be great Hawkeyes

But if you don't have those practice partners then you may not reach your full potential.  Granted, the best wrestler on the planet is at Nebraska.  But at PSU, there will be a lot more high caliber wrestlers to work out with.

But if you don't have those practice partners then you may not reach your full potential. Granted, the best wrestler on the planet is at Nebraska. But at PSU, there will be a lot more high caliber wrestlers to work out with.

Nebraska will be fine with Kris Williams and lambert when chad gets there along with Jason Powell on staff. Psu is great and has a great staff too it comes to fit. If it was practice partner OKie state might be the sport with Brock smith and heil.

Although much has been done to try to curb extreme bouncing up and down of kids' weights between events compared to the past, it's still fairly common to have kids that will weigh 10 to 15 pounds more on Monday and Tuesday than they weigh in on Saturday.  The "weight" is not genuine weight, but instead mostly water that is lost during workouts the last couple days before an event but not replenished until after weigh-in.  A 150-pound individual, for example, can lose well over 5 pounds of water weight with a relatively rigorous workout and much more than this with a very rigorous 2 or 3-hour workout.  If you do this for a couple of days while eating and drinking very little, you can fake "lose" 10 to 15 pounds quickly for the purpose of stepping on a scale--then quickly drink as much as possible to try to rehydrate in the couple of hours before competing.

This process is extremely hard on your kidneys and digestive system and has caused many wrestlers and fighters significant health problems--even hospitalization.  Thankfully, now that we know many of the dangers better than in the past, most coaches don't condone it and many are firmly against it for high school and younger athletes.  But there's a long history of it, it's still the norm in college, and it's still not uncommon in high school despite being less prevalent than 15 years ago.

I've always wondered about this in regard to boxers.  It seems to me that not eating or drinking much of anything the few days prior to their event would have to affect performance.  But it's done all the time.  It just baffles me how someone who is that lean, can lose so much weight so quickly.  As a big fan of boxing, I see it all the time and always wondered if the fighter wouldn't just be better fighting at a more natural weight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.